Thread: Commentary Thread: lee_merrill & 37818 - nature of Only Begotten Son

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Commentary Thread: lee_merrill & 37818 - nature of Only Begotten Son

Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Berkhof argued, "This does not mean, however, that it is an act that was completed in the far distant past,." But goes on to argue, "but rather that it is a timeless act, the act of an eternal present, an act always continuing and yet ever completed. Its eternity follows not only from the eternity of God, but also from the divine immutability and from the true deity of the Son." Now the full deity of the Son with God the Father and the immutablity which accompanies the deity of the Son is not dependant upon that argument. But is true independantly of it.
    Certainly immutability and the deity of the Son are not being argued for. But Berkhov speaks here of the deduction from Scripture of the eternal generation of the Son.
    You simply quoted Berkhoy and gave a conclusion he made - not his argument, not his deduction from any cited Scripture. So please explain the deduction he made.

Remember that term "begotten" in its ordinary use refers to a beginning. The concept of eternal generation refers to an "origin" without a "beginning." Which is a non sequitur on the face of it. God has no origin. What has an origin is not God.
    Last edited by 37818; 10-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You simply quoted Berkhoy and gave a conclusion he made - not his argument, not his deduction from any cited Scripture. So please explain the deduction he made.

Remember that term "begotten" in its ordinary use refers to a beginning. The concept of eternal generation refers to an "origin" without a "beginning." Which is a non sequitur on the face of it. God has no origin. What has an origin is not God.
    You might want to PM him so that he knows this thread and your question exists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    You might want to PM him so that he knows this thread and your question exists.
    Done.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The thread's OP is not so much a commentary on the debate but rather a seeming attempt to continue it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The thread's OP is not so much a commentary on the debate but rather a seeming attempt to continue it.
    yeah that's what I was thinking.

This is supposed to be for people to comment on the debate, not to continue the debate.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah that's what I was thinking.

This is supposed to be for people to comment on the debate, not to continue the debate.
    Well make your comments already. No body did, so I had a question and a comment.

Anyway, if you do not want me to continue discussing it. That is fine with me.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    IIRC I've seen debate participants do that in commentary threads before. The only difference is that this thread was started by one of the participants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: Berkhof

Berkhof argued, "This does not mean, however, that it is an act that was completed in the far distant past,." But goes on to argue, "but rather that it is a timeless act, the act of an eternal present, an act always continuing and yet ever completed. Its eternity follows not only from the eternity of God, but also from the divine immutability and from the true deity of the Son." Now the full deity of the Son with God the Father and the immutablity which accompanies the deity of the Son is not dependant upon that argument. But is true independantly of it.

© Copyright Original Source

Yes, that was my intent, to explain the deduction he made, from Scripture.

Remember that term "begotten" in its ordinary use refers to a beginning.
    Yes, so "today I have begotten you" cannot refer to a beginning of Jesus' life.

The concept of eternal generation refers to an "origin" without a "beginning." Which is a non sequitur on the face of it. God has no origin. What has an origin is not God.
    Unless "origin" refers to "source", then the Father can be the source of the Son, the origin in that sense.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Yes, that was my intent, to explain the deduction he made, from Scripture.
    What was the scripture that Berkhof was making his deduction from? And please explain that deduction step by step.

Remember that term "begotten" in its ordinary use refers to a beginning.
    Yes, so "today I have begotten you" cannot refer to a beginning of Jesus' life.
    I never thought that it did. And upon study, according to the Holy Spirit, the Apostle Paul said that it refers to Jesus' bodily resurrection (Acts 13:33 and context). And in Jesus' resurrection He was "the beginning" (Colossians 1:18; Romans 8:22-23, 29; Revelation 1:5).

Unless "origin" refers to "source", then the Father can be the source of the Son, the origin in that sense.
    Also God has no source being the source of all things (John 1:3 note).

Blessings,
    Lee
    You are a good brother. Thank you.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What was the scripture that Berkhof was making his deduction from? And please explain that deduction step by step.
    Yes, that was what the first part of my opening statement was:

I hope we both conclude that God is eternal (Rom. 16:26, Deut. 33:27), that God does not change (Ps. 102:26-27 / Heb. 1:11-12, Mal. 3:6, James 1:17), and that the Son is divine (John 20:28, 1 John 5:20).

So then if the Son is divine, he is eternal and he does not change. Now the Son is begotten of the Father (Ps. 2:7), so then the Son is begotten of God from all eternity.

Also God has no source being the source of all things (John 1:3 note).
    Yet God the Son has his source in the Father, begotten of the Father, is what we see in Scripture.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)