Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Commentary Thread: lee_merrill & 37818 - nature of Only Begotten Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    I'm not sure I can speak for you, but an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Ok, maybe you do not understand. We, I thought, agreed that Psalm 2:7 did not refer to the Son of God's birth to be "made" flesh (John 1:14). Now I understand the reference to refer to the Son of God, ". . . the LORD hath said unto Me, Thou [art] My Son; . . ." And referred to as already being the [incarnate] Son of God. Now according to the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul, the being "begotten" refers to Christ's bodily resurrection, ". . . that He hath raised up Jesus again; . . . ," Acts 13:33 and context.

So how do you understand it differently?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      We, I thought, agreed that Psalm 2:7 did not refer to the Son of God's birth to be "made" flesh (John 1:14). Now I understand the reference to refer to the Son of God, ". . . the LORD hath said unto Me, Thou [art] My Son; . . ." And referred to as already being the [incarnate] Son of God. Now according to the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul, the being "begotten" refers to Christ's bodily resurrection, ". . . that He hath raised up Jesus again; . . . ," Acts 13:33 and context.
      Yes, I agree with all of this, and would add that "begotten" shows that the Son is begotten of the Father as part of his nature, an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Yes, I agree with all of this, and would add that "begotten" shows that the Son is begotten of the Father as part of his nature, an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship.

Blessings,
        Lee
        He already had a divine nature prior to His incarnation. And the incarnation took place prior to God saying to Him, "Thou [art] My Son." So what do you then mean by, "that 'begotten' shows that the Son is begotten of the Father as part of his nature?" And what do you mean by, "an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship," when the resurrection was supernatural?
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

He already had a divine nature prior to His incarnation. And the incarnation took place prior to God saying to Him, "Thou [art] My Son." So what do you then mean by, "that 'begotten' shows that the Son is begotten of the Father as part of his nature?"
          Since God doesn't change, if the Son is begotten, then he has always been begotten.

And what do you mean by, "an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship," when the resurrection was supernatural?
          By earthly I meant "on earth", in the earthly realm a supernatural event occurred. And this event of begetting would (because God doesn't change) speak of begetting as part of Jesus' nature, as the Father-Son relationship implies.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Blessings,
            Lee
            Totally off topic, but did you know that if you want your signature to show up in every one of your posts automatically, you can put it in your signature box by editing it on your profile page? That way you don't have to hand type it every post.

Comment

He already had a divine nature prior to His incarnation. And the incarnation took place prior to God saying to Him, "Thou [art] My Son." So what do you then mean by, "that 'begotten' shows that the Son is begotten of the Father as part of his nature?"
              Since God doesn't change, if the Son is begotten, then he has always been begotten.
              The Son of God, the "Word," was "begotten" when He was "made" flesh (John 1:14, Luke 1:35). And being the incarnate Son of God, after He physically died, He was "begotten" in His bodily resurrection (per Psalm 2:7). Where do you get the "Word," being the Son of God, who was always "God" being "begotten?" (John 1:1-3.)

And what do you mean by, "an earthly begetting would speak of a nature of begetting, of begetting in the Father-Son relationship," when the resurrection was supernatural?
              By earthly I meant "on earth", in the earthly realm a supernatural event occurred. And this event of begetting would (because God doesn't change) speak of begetting as part of Jesus' nature, as the Father-Son relationship implies.

Blessings,
              Lee
              That is the assertion I have been asking you to explain. Repeating it does not explain it. Nor give the step by step deduction from Holy Scripture.

Do you not understand that I affirm that the eternal Son is equal with the Father as God, not being begotten in being God with the Father?
              Last edited by 37818; 10-17-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Totally off topic, but did you know that if you want your signature to show up in every one of your posts automatically, you can put it in your signature box by editing it on your profile page? That way you don't have to hand type it every post.
                Lee has a signature already, so I suppose it just feels natural for him to sign off manually.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Lee has a signature already, so I suppose it just feels natural for him to sign off manually.
                  Hmm. True. But...we already know who he is cause his name is right there in big bold letters above his profile picture. I've noticed this about some folks (typically older ones) who feel the need to sign off each post with their name, and it's always been a head scratcher for me. Makes more sense that, if you MUST have it, it should be in your signature line.

Comment

Hmm. True. But...we already know who he is cause his name is right there in big bold letters above his profile picture. I've noticed this about some folks (typically older ones) who feel the need to sign off each post with their name, and it's always been a head scratcher for me. Makes more sense that, if you MUST have it, it should be in your signature line.
                    I view it as a courtesy thing. It might not matter to the recipient, but it just feels right to personally sign off on every communication, even though it's no longer necessary. People writing letters did it as a matter of course.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I view it as a courtesy thing. It might not matter to the recipient, but it just feels right to personally sign off on every communication, even though it's no longer necessary. People writing letters did it as a matter of course.
                      I guess so. Seems like a waste of time to me, but oh well.

Comment

Yes, thanks, that is a helpful feature, though I do like to type blessings to everybody.

Blessings!
                        Lee

Comment

The Son of God, the "Word," was "begotten" when He was "made" flesh (John 1:14, Luke 1:35). And being the incarnate Son of God, after He physically died, He was "begotten" in His bodily resurrection (per Psalm 2:7). Where do you get the "Word," being the Son of God, who was always "God" being "begotten?" (John 1:1-3.)
                          His earthly begetting speaks of a begetting by the Father in the Father-Son relationship.

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                          That is the assertion I have been asking you to explain. Repeating it does not explain it. Nor give the step by step deduction from Holy Scripture.

Do you not understand that I affirm that the eternal Son is equal with the Father as God, not being begotten in being God with the Father?
                          Well, fathers beget sons, that is the nature of a father-son relationship. God the Father begot Jesus (Ps. 2:7), so that aspect of the relationship is apparent there. Since God does not change, the aspect of being begotten would need to be unchanging too, and this would be true if Jesus is begotten from all eternity.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

Well, fathers beget sons, that is the nature of a father-son relationship. God the Father begot Jesus (Ps. 2:7), so that aspect of the relationship is apparent there.
                            In the incarnation after His death (Acts 13:33 and context)

Since God does not change, the aspect of being begotten would need to be unchanging too, . . .
                            There is one big problem here - God is not begotten in any way.

. . . and this would be true if Jesus is begotten from all eternity.
                            Jesus is His human nature not His divine nature. Jesus was begotten twice, once to become human (John 1:14; Luke 1:35). And again to be declared the Son of God in His incarnation in resurrection to become the immortal man (Psalm 2:7; Romans 1:4; Hebrews 13:8). Two distinct events in time.

Now how does that answer my question?

Comment

There is one big problem here - God is not begotten in any way.
                              Maybe this is the heart of our disagreement, Jesus was begotten, and Jesus is God.

Jesus is His human nature not His divine nature.
                              Actually, Jesus is both his human nature and his divine nature.

Two distinct events in time.
                              And events in time can point to a timeless aspect of Jesus' nature.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

Maybe this is the heart of our disagreement, Jesus was begotten, and Jesus is God.
                                No, Jesus is His name as the man (Luke 1:31; Matthew 1:21; 1 Timothy 2:5).

Actually, Jesus is both his human nature and his divine nature.
                                No, the Son of God has two natures and Jesus is His human name as the man in His human nature.

And events in time can point to a timeless aspect of Jesus' nature.
                                As now that man, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Hebrews 13:8

In that before His incarnation He "was God" and that did not change in any way through the incarnation (John 1:1, 3, 14). But how He was "with God" was a change when He was "made" flesh (John 1:2, 14).

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X