Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is on track to win reelection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump is on track to win reelection

Trump is on track to win reelection

Doug Sosnik, a Democratic political strategist, was a senior adviser to President Bill Clinton from 1994 to 2000.

More than half of Americans don’t think Donald Trump is fit to serve as president, yet he has a clear path to winning reelection. If Trump isn’t removed from office and doesn’t lead the country into some form of global catastrophe, he could secure a second term simply by maintaining his current level of support with his political base.

We have entered a new era in American politics. The 2016 election exposed how economic, social and cultural issues have splintered the country and increasingly divided voters by age, race, education and geography. This isn’t going to change.

What have changed are the political fault lines that have driven the debate since the early 1980s. Until now, the ideological divides between the parties were largely differences around social issues, defense spending and trade, as well as tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. Today, the central issue has become populism as voters have moved away from the two political parties and increasingly self-identified as independents.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Surely Trump's chances depend so much on the identity of his opponent that no such determination can yet be made?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Surely Trump's chances depend so much on the identity of his opponent that no such determination can yet be made?
      I would have thought so, yes. I just thought it was an interesting position coming from an alleged "Democratic Political Strategist".

This guy is drawing on the whole "populism" angle and a drastic change in the way politics is played.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think you meant to title the thread "Putin is on track to win reelection." Understandable error.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I think you meant to title the thread "Putin is on track to win reelection." Understandable error.

Comment

to some extent. But the democrats are increasingly dividing among themselves, allowing the extreme left (antifa and BLM) to give them a bad reputation and alienate the more center democrats. And they show no indication of slowing down this trend. My cousin who has been a democrat all her life said she voted for Trump because of Hillary. And now she says she is glad she did because she is so disappointed in all of the wacky controversies and protests the liberals are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              to some extent. But the democrats are increasingly dividing among themselves, allowing the extreme left (antifa and BLM) to give them a bad reputation and alienate the more center democrats. And they show no indication of slowing down this trend. My cousin who has been a democrat all her life said she voted for Trump because of Hillary. And now she says she is glad she did because she is so disappointed in all of the wacky controversies and protests the liberals are doing.
              It is true that the Democrats are dividing among themselves... but so are the Republicans. I think both parties are unraveling, and the winner of the 2018/2020 elections will be whichever one manages to unravel less than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                It is true that the Democrats are dividing among themselves... but so are the Republicans. I think both parties are unraveling, and the winner of the 2018/2020 elections will be whichever one manages to unravel less than the other.
                But maybe that's the point - Trump isn't really a "party" - he's a phenomenon, and he has his own base.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  But maybe that's the point - Trump isn't really a "party" - he's a phenomenon, and he has his own base.
                  Agreed. In fact, it could be argued that the Republican party unraveling would be a boon for Trump.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Democrat establishment doesn't seem to have learned anything from pushing Hillary so they will probably nominate another lemon.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Agreed. In fact, it could be argued that the Republican party unraveling would be a boon for Trump.
                      I bet if Trump announced that he was returning to being a Democrat, he could keep doing exactly the same thing he is doing how and the MSM, and the other liberals would start defending him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And the dirty playing of the Republicans has done more to help Trump than hurt him I suspect.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I bet if Trump announced that he was returning to being a Democrat, he could keep doing exactly the same thing he is doing how and the MSM, and the other liberals would start defending him.
                          Did you see that he's trying to work with Chuck Schumer on health care now? There's no way he's actually going to change his party label while in office but this sort of thing isn't unreasonable to speculate about at all.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Did you see that he's trying to work with Chuck Schumer on health care now? There's no way he's actually going to change his party label while in office but this sort of thing isn't unreasonable to speculate about at all.
                            Someone on TV said that Trump is all about "winning" and if he has to work with the democrats to win, that's what he will do. He has an agenda and he will work with or stab in the back anyone he has to to get his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              And the dirty playing of the Republicans has done more to help Trump than hurt him I suspect.
                              Our current batch of elected officials is a great argument for term limits.

Comment