Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The next liberal outrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next liberal outrage

So, now that they have protested the confederate statues and the national anthem, apparently the next fad is to protest Christopher Columbus.

various groups have been vandalizing statues of Columbus and protesting Columbus day. Yet these same liberals who are denouncing the "conquering of America" by this guy who never even set foot on the mainland are enjoying the comforts of the western civilization his discovery brought to this continent. I don't see any of them offering to give up their stake in this civilization back to the Indians and offer to move back to Europe.

here is a good site to hopefully give a more balance view of Columbus: http://www.truthaboutcolumbus.com/

He wasn't a perfect man by any means. He was a man of his times. We celebrate the explorer and the discovery of the New World upon which this and many other great nations exist today.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So, now that they have protested the confederate statues and the national anthem, apparently the next fad is to protest Christopher Columbus.

various groups have been vandalizing statues of Columbus and protesting Columbus day. Yet these same liberals who are denouncing the "conquering of America" by this guy who never even set foot on the mainland are enjoying the comforts of the western civilization his discovery brought to this continent. I don't see any of them offering to give up their stake in this civilization back to the Indians and offer to move back to Europe.

here is a good site to hopefully give a more balance view of Columbus: http://www.truthaboutcolumbus.com/

He wasn't a perfect man by any means. He was a man of his times. We celebrate the explorer and the discovery of the New World upon which this and many other great nations exist today.
    To be fair, liberals have been agitating over this since at least 1992, when there was all sorts of angst over commemorating the 500th anniversary of his initial trip.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He wasn't a perfect man by any means.
      Nobody is. Even icons like Martin Luther King, Jr., Ghandi, and Mother Theresa had plenty to be ashamed of, but that's not why they're celebrated.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The guy actually cut noses and ears off of natives, including for personal slights, and actually was even arrested when he returned to Europe before the king got around to pardoning him. That deserves to be condemned, not dismissed as "liberal agitation".

(And, no, we probably shouldn't be celebrating the serial adulterer Martin Luther King Jr. either.)
        Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-09-2017, 03:38 PM.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The guy actually cut noses and ears off of natives, including for personal slights, and actually was even arrested when he returned to Europe before the king got around to pardoning him. That deserves to be condemned, not dismissed as "liberal agitation".

(And, no, we probably shouldn't be celebrating the serial adulterer Martin Luther King Jr. either.)
          In the case of Columbus, or MLKJR, or George Washington, we celebrate their accomplishments, not the person. MLKJR started the civil rights movement, Columbus discovered America (or close enough) and George Washington was the first President and a great General. Each of them has bad qualities that we don't celebrate. The original Martin Luther was an anti-semite racist.

Should we just forget all of history or celebrate no one?

Comment

Hmmm... the only human worth celebrating is Jesus of Nazareth! Can't say anything bad about Him!
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Hmmm... the only human worth celebrating is Jesus of Nazareth! Can't say anything bad about Him!
              Well, you can, but you'll answer for it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Well, you can, but you'll answer for it.
                Ummm... weren't there some false witnesses at His trail that couldn't even keep their story straight? They might as well have just accused Him of being too perfect and unrelatable and too high of a standard or something. He makes every other hero in real life or fiction look bad by comparison. You can't truthfully say anything bad about Him. And why would you want to say a bad false thing about Him? That would be mean! And stupid.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

In the case of Columbus, or MLKJR, or George Washington, we celebrate their accomplishments, not the person. MLKJR started the civil rights movement, Columbus discovered America (or close enough) and George Washington was the first President and a great General. Each of them has bad qualities that we don't celebrate. The original Martin Luther was an anti-semite racist.

In fairness to Martin Luther, the anti-Semitism didn't really come out until later in his life, when he may have been going senile. He was much more reasonable in regards to Jews in his earlier writings. Though obviously, the degree to which one believes he should be celebrated for his general actions probably depends heavily on their denomination.

As for Columbus, what seems distinct between him and the others you cite is that Columbus's accomplish was completely by accident and was not what he set out to do. Contrary to what you'll sometimes hear, he wasn't a guy who was correct about the world being round while everyone else thought it was flat; everyone educated was completely aware the world was round (it's less clear what the common person thought, but the people involved in this were educated people). What he was claiming was that everyone was wrong about the size of the world, and it was way smaller than people thought, and thus a voyage to eastern Asia would be possible. He was completely wrong and even for his time his logic was shaky. Though I suppose he was a bit impressive in that he actually got someone to agree to fund such a foolhardy venture.

Mind you, I'm not going to complain about getting a day off work. Still, however important in history his actions might have been, the fact remains that he was basically just a geographical dunce who got astoundingly lucky that there happened to be an unknown continent that was close enough for him to reach. One can't even really say he deserves credit for being the first European to find the thing, because the Vikings beat him to the punch on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    In fairness to Martin Luther, the anti-Semitism didn't really come out until later in his life, when he may have been going senile.
                    I think he was talking about Martin Luther King Junior.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      I think he was talking about Martin Luther King Junior.
                      He said "the original Martin Luther."

Comment

So you think anyone who made great accomplishments should be celebrated with holidays and statues regardless of their atrocities? There's no cut-off point?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          So you think anyone who made great accomplishments should be celebrated with holidays and statues regardless of their atrocities? There's no cut-off point?
                          Columbus's atrocities are minor compared to the millions of aborted children for which every liberal is responsible.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

George Washington lost his first House of Burgesses election and then bribed his way to winning his second with liquor.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

We can remember history without actively celebrating holidays named after the people themselves. (Though with Columbus, nobody really actually celebrates Columbus Day outside of the Italian American community.)
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment