Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California - No Longer a Felony to knowingly expose people to HIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, that sounds more logical than lessening the offence of HIV. I don't know if I'd mark it as terrorism, but it's definitely on the level of poisoning someone, which I imagine is also a felony.
    I think he's specifically talking about the blood bank example as "terrorism", and I agree. The Joker did something very similar in Batman Arkham City, it just wasn't HIV the blood was "infected" with. He also deliberately infused Batman with his blood too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      I think he's specifically talking about the blood bank example as "terrorism", and I agree. The Joker did something very similar in Batman Arkham City, it just wasn't HIV the blood was "infected" with. He also deliberately infused Batman with his blood too.
      Oh, ok. yeah, I guess that might rank as terrorism then.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Oh, ok. yeah, I guess that might rank as terrorism then.
        Definitely. Infecting Batman is terrorism.

Comment

Hrmm I think medically its on a slippery slope. 'knowingly' infecting someone with HIV should be a criminal offense as its nearly always contracted through fluids. With other STD's such as syphilis chlamydia warts and herpes, one doesn't necessarily become infected if the person is aysymptomatic or there are times when if tears or other infections aren't present the disease may not transmit at all. But at the same time if a person has a known disease and refuses to seek treatment I'm not sure locking them up is the answer if it can be proven that reason for refusal to seek treatment is not for that of a "criminal" mind but for religious beliefs, cultural ideation, etc. Then we hit a serious road block. some people genuinely believe and are bought and sold on ancient remedies and cures. others aren't some have a mix. It borders on the cases of parents who were locked up for not wanting to use chemo for their child's cancer and the case where the girl had mitochondrial disease and boston children's took away their custody and put her in a mental facility. (which only made her sicker but they didn't care) I'm wary of giving the medical system too much power as well as the state too much authority in its say so.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Hrmm I think medically its on a slippery slope. 'knowingly' infecting someone with HIV should be a criminal offense as its nearly always contracted through fluids. With other STD's such as syphilis chlamydia warts and herpes, one doesn't necessarily become infected if the person is aysymptomatic or there are times when if tears or other infections aren't present the disease may not transmit at all. But at the same time if a person has a known disease and refuses to seek treatment I'm not sure locking them up is the answer if it can be proven that reason for refusal to seek treatment is not for that of a "criminal" mind but for religious beliefs, cultural ideation, etc. Then we hit a serious road block. some people genuinely believe and are bought and sold on ancient remedies and cures. others aren't some have a mix. It borders on the cases of parents who were locked up for not wanting to use chemo for their child's cancer and the case where the girl had mitochondrial disease and boston children's took away their custody and put her in a mental facility. (which only made her sicker but they didn't care) I'm wary of giving the medical system too much power as well as the state too much authority in its say so.
            As it stands, the infected person has the responsibility to inform a partner so they can make an informed decision. Those who wish to be infected (which does happen) shouldn't have recourse IF it can be documented. Otherwise, notification is not that burdensome.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              As it stands, the infected person has the responsibility to inform a partner so they can make an informed decision. Those who wish to be infected (which does happen) shouldn't have recourse IF it can be documented. Otherwise, notification is not that burdensome.
              Kinda like insurance companies and even the courts can deny or limit compensation if their insured was not wearing a seat belt.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment