Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California secessionists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Sounds more they will whine for freedom, then surrender!!
    I remember when NYC was in drastic a financial condition - one of the recommendations was that they declare war on the US, lose the battle, then apply for foreign aid.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I remember when NYC was in drastic a financial condition - one of the recommendations was that they declare war on the US, lose the battle, then apply for foreign aid.
      The Mouse That Roared strategy

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        Sounds more they will whine for freedom, then surrender!!
        Per "The Mouse Who Roared?"

ETA: Rats! 06 beat me to it.
        Last edited by Jedidiah; 10-14-2017, 01:52 PM.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Per "The Mouse Who Roared?"

Rats! 06 beat me to it.
          And mentioning bacon as well thereby winning the thread as per Jed's Law.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I think a lot of us would be thrilled if California seceded from the US. It would be like excising a tumour from an otherwise healthy body.

Of course they would be bankrupt within a week of seceding and begging for reinstatement, but that would be their problem.
            Democrats don't want California to succeed. They won't see the inside of the White House for a long time without California's contribution to the electoral college.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              Democrats don't want California to succeed. They won't see the inside of the White House for a long time without California's contribution to the electoral college.
              But if they seceded then they would be their own sovereign state and could, in theory, run things however they pleased, so winning the presidency would no longer be relevant
              Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

But if they seceded then they would be their own sovereign state and could, in theory, run things however they pleased, so winning the presidency would no longer be relevant
                I think he might have meant Democrats in general - especially those outside of Cali. Without Cali, they really don't stand a chance.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  I've seen this claim made before, but it doesn't hold up. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would have won both their elections and re-elections even if California wasn't part of the country.

Democrats would likely have a much harder time getting a majority in the House of Representatives without California, though.

He was talking about Democrats outside of California.
                  Last edited by Terraceth; 10-14-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I think he might have meant Democrats in general - especially those outside of Cali. Without Cali, they really don't stand a chance.
                    Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    He was talking about Democrats outside of California.
                    OK, that makes sense.

But, hey, if California Democrats are willing to leave their party in the rest of the country at a disadvantage then I say more power to them. Even better, maybe Democrats left behind in the remaining 49-states will flee to the newly liberated California.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of California seceding. I'm honestly not seeing any downsides here.

Comment

OK, that makes sense.

But, hey, if California Democrats are willing to leave their party in the rest of the country at a disadvantage then I say more power to them. Even better, maybe Democrats left behind in the remaining 49-states will flee to the newly liberated California.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of California seceding. I'm honestly not seeing any downsides here.
                      There were three California things on my bucket list...

A) Visiting the Army Air Field in Riverside where my dad trained for WWII - check!
                      2) Sitting in VIP for the MCAS Mirimar Air Show - check!
                      C) Driving the Pacific Coast Highway - check!

California can now leave the country!

Comment

Its no wonder conservatives inside and outside of California like the idea of seccession, its been a Russian operation from the get go. Sorta like how the authoritarian Trump got elected. Old Vladimer P. just loves you people!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Its no wonder conservatives inside and outside of California like the idea of seccession, its been a Russian operation from the get go. Sorta like how the authoritarian Trump got elected. Old Vladimer P. just loves
                          you people!

And it's secession, Jimmy - you can't even spell it correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            Its no wonder conservatives inside and outside of California like the idea of seccession, its been a Russian operation from the get go. Sorta like how the authoritarian Trump got elected. Old Vladimer P. just loves you people!
                            This is another one of those times when I can't tell if Jimmy is parodying liberal stupidity, or if he's the real deal.

Comment

This is another one of those times when I can't tell if Jimmy is parodying liberal stupidity, or if he's the real deal.
                              I was thinking the same thing! It's like - who can be THAT stupid and still (kinda) type.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Russia is in control of both Trump and progs in proggest California. You libs might as well go to the gulag quietly!!!
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment