Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California secessionists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And it's secession, Jimmy - you can't even spell it correctly!
    Sure I can, i t, it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Sure I can, i t, it.
      Yeah, even you should be able to spell really simple words.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        I've seen this claim made before, but it doesn't hold up. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would have won both their elections and re-elections even if California wasn't part of the country.

Democrats would likely have a much harder time getting a majority in the House of Representatives without California, though.

He was talking about Democrats outside of California.
        The older elections I don't know about. Makes a difference in 2016. Trump wins the electoral college by ever bigger margin when you take California out. He also now wins the popular vote. With California, Clinton won the popular vote 66 million to 63 million. Take California out of those totals and Trump now wins the popular vote 59 million to 57 million. (I used CNN figures here: http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president)
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

And that's without taking the numerous voting "irregularities" in Hillary's favor into account.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            The older elections I don't know about. Makes a difference in 2016. Trump wins the electoral college by ever bigger margin when you take California out. He also now wins the popular vote. With California, Clinton won the popular vote 66 million to 63 million. Take California out of those totals and Trump now wins the popular vote 59 million to 57 million. (I used CNN figures here: http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president)
            Yeah and if you take Texas and Louisiana out of the mix Clinton wins by more, and if you take New York and Massachusetts out, Trump would have won bigger, and if .............. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yeah and if you take Texas and Louisiana out of the mix Clinton wins by more, and if you take New York and Massachusetts out, Trump would have won bigger, and if .............. LOL!
              Of course. However this thread is about California succeeding so I'm looking at that impact.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                legally they can't. After the civil war, it was decided that there is no path to secession. They would need to get the US constitution changed first. But I for one would not try to stop them. Maybe they could elect Weinstein as president.
                The Civil War was the south saying "We're Going" and the northing saying "No." I'll bet if California said "We're leaving" and the other 49 states said "Good bye", everyone would find a legal way to get it to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  legally they can't. After the civil war, it was decided that there is no path to secession. They would need to get the US constitution changed first. But I for one would not try to stop them. Maybe they could elect Weinstein as president.
                  There was no path to secession before the civil war. There is no president for a peaceful secession in history unless both parties agree, or in some cases a written process in the Articles of Confederation like in Canada.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    There was no path to secession before the civil war. There is no president for a peaceful secession in history unless both parties agree, or in some cases a written process in the Articles of Confederation like in Canada.
                    On the contrary, there were a number of times where secession was considered before the Civil War. If anything, the Civil War put a damper on such speculations.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      This is another one of those times when I can't tell if Jimmy is parodying liberal stupidity, or if he's the real deal.
                      Jim doesn't consider us worth the effort of parody. He is the real deal, but I think he'd come across as more intelligent if he put any effort into it.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        On the contrary, there were a number of times where secession was considered before the Civil War. If anything, the Civil War put a damper on such speculations.
                        Considering secession is not the act of secession. All through history secession is considered, but it remains . . .

There was no [legal] path to secession before or after the civil war. There is no president for a peaceful secession in history unless both parties agree, or in some cases a written process in the Articles of Confederation like in Canada.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

there was no path to secession before the civil war. There is no precedent for a peaceful secession in history unless both parties agree, or in some cases a written process in the articles of confederation like in canada.
                          fify
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            The older elections I don't know about.
                            I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean Bill Clinton and Barack Obama by "older elections"? Because if you remove California's electoral college votes, they still win their election and re-election. There's nothing to "not know" because the fact remains they did not need California. If by "older elections" you mean ones before then, things get a bit weird. You see, the last time a Democratic president was elected before Bill Clinton was Jimmy Carter. And in his case, California voted for the Republican in that election, so again we have a Democrat who would've won without California.

Makes a difference in 2016. Trump wins the electoral college by ever bigger margin when you take California out. He also now wins the popular vote. With California, Clinton won the popular vote 66 million to 63 million. Take California out of those totals and Trump now wins the popular vote 59 million to 57 million. (I used CNN figures here: http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president)
                            You claim it "makes a difference in 2016" and then proceed to explain a lot of things that don't make a difference. Trump wins the presidency with California, and he wins it without California. Would he have won by a larger margin? Sure. Does that make any difference? No, because you become president with the exact same powers whether you win by 1 electoral college vote or if you win by 200 electoral college votes. Sure, he would've then won the popular vote, but the popular vote isn't the decider and is thus irrelevant. The only difference that would have made is that people would have complained about the electoral college less.

Obviously, it is completely possible that without California, in the future a Democratic candidate would lose to a Republican in a race they otherwise would have won. But the claim that a Democratic president can't be elected if California secedes has been shown repeatedly to be false because every Democratic president elected in the last 100 years would have won even if California hadn't been a state. Granted, much of that was (1) before California was the bastion of liberalness it is today, and (2) before its population got big enough that it was able to exercise a real influence in the electoral college, but even if we restrict it to the years when it was reliably Democrat and had a large population, every elected Democratic president would have won their election even if California hadn't been in the country.
                            Last edited by Terraceth; 10-15-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Considering secession is not the act of secession. All through history secession is considered, but it remains . . .

There was no [legal] path to secession before or after the civil war. There is no president for a peaceful secession in history unless both parties agree, or in some cases a written process in the Articles of Confederation like in Canada.
                              precedent
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                precedent
                                I beat you.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment