Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Nag Hammadi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nag Hammadi

Hello, everyone. I'm writing a 15 page paper on the Gnostic Gospels-particularly the Gospel of Thomas and the Gospel of Judas and comparing them to the Synoptic Gospels to explore why the Nag Hammadi isn't accepted as canon in Orthodox Christianity (meaning those who accept the Nicene Creed and whatnot). What in the Nag Hammadi caused the documents to be rejected by Orthodoxy?

Oh, and I'll also be giving a 20-minute oral presentation to the school on this at the end of the semester so that will be fun. I would like to make it clear that I'm not an Arianist or a heretic, this is purely academic research for my History of the Bible in English Class. Thanks!
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Well I am an amateur but I think that the trinity is a big deal with them. The gospel of Judah also makes jesus out to be a collar all failure.
    sigpic

Comment

A lot of it has to do with dating. The Gnostic gospels are dated much later than the canonical ones, and so could not have been written by or corroborated by eyewitnesses.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Be careful of your terminology, since IIRC the Gospel of Judas was not part of the Nag Hammadi collection. The gnostic gospels (which don't really have anything to do with Arianism, btw) were rejected because of their late date and their heretical contents. For example, Eusebius attests here that the Gospel of Peter was rejected because it had not been handed down by the church and it contained heretical concepts, even though it was acknowledged to contain much that was accurate.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My copy of the Nag Hammadi includes Judas.
          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
            My copy of the Nag Hammadi includes Judas.
            Here is an index of the codices found at Nag Hammadi.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I didn't say that it couldn't have been added later, only that my edition has it.
              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I didn't say that it couldn't have been added later, only that my edition has it.
                Um, it couldn't have been added later, since it wasn't part of the collection as found. It is a similar genre to part of the NH library (which IIRC appears to be a collection not made by a gnostic group given the diversity within it), so I can see why it would be printed in a collection of gnostic works. I assume (hope) that your edition accurately points out which of its contents are additions to what was originally found.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Um, it couldn't have been added later, since it wasn't part of the collection as found. It is a similar genre to part of the NH library (which IIRC appears to be a collection not made by a gnostic group given the diversity within it), so I can see why it would be printed in a collection of gnostic works. I assume (hope) that your edition accurately points out which of its contents are additions to what was originally found.
                  Sorry, Pig. I have a medium concussion so I don't think I quite made myself clear. What I meant was printing edition of the Nag Hammadi. Mine is a later printing. I am aware that while Judas is similar to the Gnostic Gospels, a lot of historians and Gnostic scholars debate whether it is Gnostic in origin.
                  I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I'm glad we had this conversation because it made me dig through my pile of books a bit. Marvin Meyer, a scholar of Gnosticism from Chapman University mentioned this about the Gospel of Judas in his book The Gnostic Discoveries:

In a private correspondence, Charles W. Hedrick has indicated that he has seen photographs of the Nag Hammadi Codex, and he describes the character of the codex and the Gospel of Judas within the codex:

There are at least two subscript titles in the codex: The Letter of Peter to Phillip, and The Gospel of Judas. Judas is not the disciple of Jesus, Judas Thomas, but rather Judas the betrayer, as is made clear in the last line of the text. Judas is described as a "disciple of Jesus" as "taking money", and the last line of tet concludes, "and he delivered him over".
                    I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I'm glad we had this conversation because it made me dig through my pile of books a bit. Marvin Meyer, a scholar of Gnosticism from Chapman University mentioned this about the Gospel of Judas in his book The Gnostic Discoveries:
                      There is also this, which contains 31 documents in translation: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nag-Hammadi.../dp/0061626007

Comment

Interesting. I'm wondering which of the titles referenced in my link contains the subscript 'The Gospel of Judas'. And I'm not sure why Dr. Hedrick feels the need to mention the distinction, because I don't recall the Gospels giving Thomas the name Judas, and I don't recall anyone being confused over that point.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Interesting. I'm wondering which of the titles referenced in my link contains the subscript 'The Gospel of Judas'. And I'm not sure why Dr. Hedrick feels the need to mention the distinction, because I don't recall the Gospels giving Thomas the name Judas, and I don't recall anyone being confused over that point.
                          According to the scholars I checked, Meyer said "yes", Elaine Pagels said "maybe" and Rudolph Kasser said "not even close". I spoke to one of my professors and he says it is considered a mystery that isn't likely to be solved.
                          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Well, I'm afraid I derailed my own thread. The question from the OP is this: Why are the writings in the Nag Hammadi and the Gospel of Judas considered heretical instead of part of the canon for Christianity?
                            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Well, I'm afraid I derailed my own thread. The question from the OP is this: Why are the writings in the Nag Hammadi and the Gospel of Judas considered heretical instead of part of the canon for Christianity?
                              See my link to Eusebius in post #4 above.

sigpic

Comment