Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump says he met with the 'president of the Virgin Islands'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Star just amen'd this. Must be Groupthink!

See, that's what's hilarious about you guys --- you are doing exactly the same thing you accuse others of doing (but with far more hysteria and drama), yet we're not declaring you irredeemable.
    Tass must have either borrowed Starlight's mirror or gotten his own and is using it in place of a monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      I have come to believe ...
      Dear Starlight,

Please forgive my intrusion.

Yesterday, in the vet center on campus, where I've been volunteering as a faculty advisor and mentor, I took advantage of a chance to point out that feminism is not the monster portrayed by the less careful voices of fringe media. Neither is conservatism the monster portrayed by many of the highly partisan members of TWeb with whom you've been interacting.

Where feminism is merely the belief in equal rights, conservatism is the belief that we should preserve what is good. This remains true, by definition, despite the fact the loudest voices identifying with these positions are often the least representative and the most extreme.

Gloria Steinem recently suggested that those who speak of "chick flicks" should be opposed by a rhyming contrary starting with PR, in odd coincidence with a subtopic here. Steve Bannon, a nominal conservative of the alt-right media organ, Breitbart, with the "alt" of alt-right in apparent agreement with its usage in alt-facts, openly appeals for "deconstruction of the administrative state."

People with "bad" opinions aren't necessarily bad people, or perhaps I should say bad by necessity. Rouge, despite his obvious issues, has, to my personal knowledge, stood firm for over a decade against misinformation from his fellow adherents on biological evolution and the geology that confirms the actual age of the earth. Cowpreacher, despite his regular failings to live up to his own expectations, absolutely, without a doubt, means well. I have the PMs to prove this. He has spent decades trying to make a positive difference in the lives of others. I could run the list here, from the alt-bad piglet all the way down to misnomer man, identifying details that at best, give reason for admiration, and at the very least, give reason to show compassion.

None of these people are irredeemably evil. It's just that neither you nor I have the requisite skills necessary to redeem them. Facts aren't enough. There's been a good deal of research showing how contradictory data can counterintuitively serve to confirm false opinion. It turns out facts the careful observer finds most useful in informing their own opinions work poorly when turned outward, and used as cudgels.

It's been said that no one will read the remainder of any sentence that begins with the words, "You idiot.' And if they do, they won't read it carefully, or seriously. Idiot, scum, mut. mut. If you can't find anything you can like about these people, certainly, you should leave. If you can, though, well, you'll find humans, people who can return compassion, even to a jerk.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, jerk.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          I see the usual posters still haven't gotten over their TDS. You guys still don't get it that years of Obama; the media and lefties telling folks how bigoted, racist and evil they are has inured them to your disapproval? Left wing politicans have set the bar so low that almost no-one cares if Trump plays too much golf or makes gaffes or says things that you tut-tut over.

Nobody cares about your worthless moral approval.
          Thanks for admitting the truth about what we've been saying about you all along!

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

People with "bad" opinions aren't necessarily bad people, or perhaps I should say bad by necessity. Rouge, despite his obvious issues, has, to my personal knowledge, stood firm for over a decade against misinformation from his fellow adherents on biological evolution and the geology that confirms the actual age of the earth.
            Who is this "Rouge" fella? Sounds like a real stand up guy.

And math is and will always remain a work of da debil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              I have come to believe that the US conservatives are irredeemably evil, and unsavable scum. I have largely quit TWeb because I no longer have any interest in dialoguing with the deplorables here, as I have learned they are so deplorable, stupid, ignorant, hate-filled, foolish and genuinely horrible people that dialogue is worthless. It's not a matter of one or two being a little bit bad, it's the whole bunch. They won't learn, anything, whatsoever, they just get worse and worse as people and even talking to them is nauseating. Their president will fail, their Republican party will fall apart, and their country too, and the bulk of insanely evil hate filled US conservatives will die of old age and the rest of the world will breathe a sigh of relief. Then the dems will sweep to power with supermajorities in 2020 and begin to gradually put the basket case of a country back together from the ashes.

There is nothing much more to be said, because as you rightly noted Maxvel, not merely did conservatives refuse to learn from or accept any of the corrections suggested to them during the Obama era, but they are now at the point where literally nothing said by anyone makes it into their head because they dwell in alternative-facts land within their crazed right-wing media bubbles. The need to be committed to the insane asylum. They have become pathological and beyond any kind of correction or censure, as you aptly note in your final sentence.
              poor Starlight(who uses a mirror instead of a monitor here) can't get anyone on this board to accept his half baked views on American Politics, Religion etc. without being challenged. Go ahead Starlight go to the forums that won't challenge you so you can pretend to be an open minded intellectual. But don't even think we don't know the true reason you are leaving, you don't like to have your views challenged with actual facts and points you can't refute.

Pull a Brave Sir Robin one last time. Remember though if you ever do become a true open minded intellectual the door is always open.

Comment

Dear Starlight,

Yesterday, in the vet center on campus, where I've been volunteering as a faculty advisor and mentor, I took advantage of a chance to point out that feminism is not the monster portrayed by the less careful voices of fringe media. Neither is conservatism the monster portrayed by many of the highly partisan members of TWeb with whom you've been interacting.

Where feminism is merely the belief in equal rights, conservatism is the belief that we should preserve what is good. This remains true, by definition, despite the fact the loudest voices identifying with these positions are often the least representative and the most extreme.

Gloria Steinem recently suggested that those who speak of "chick flicks" should be opposed by a rhyming contrary starting with PR, in odd coincidence with a subtopic here. Steve Bannon, a nominal conservative of the alt-right media organ, Breitbart, with the "alt" of alt-right in apparent agreement with its usage in alt-facts, openly appeals for "deconstruction of the administrative state."

People with "bad" opinions aren't necessarily bad people, or perhaps I should say bad by necessity. Rouge, despite his obvious issues, has, to my personal knowledge, stood firm for over a decade against misinformation from his fellow adherents on biological evolution and the geology that confirms the actual age of the earth. Cowpreacher, despite his regular failings to live up to his own expectations, absolutely, without a doubt, means well. I have the PMs to prove this. He has spent decades trying to make a positive difference in the lives of others. I could run the list here, from the alt-bad piglet all the way down to misnomer man, identifying details that at best, give reason for admiration, and at the very least, give reason to show compassion.

None of these people are irredeemably evil. It's just that neither you nor I have the requisite skills necessary to redeem them. Facts aren't enough. There's been a good deal of research showing how contradictory data can counterintuitively serve to confirm false opinion. It turns out facts the careful observer finds most useful in informing their own opinions work poorly when turned outward, and used as cudgels.

It's been said that no one will read the remainder of any sentence that begins with the words, "You idiot.' And if they do, they won't read it carefully, or seriously. Idiot, scum, mut. mut. If you can't find anything you can like about these people, certainly, you should leave. If you can, though, well, you'll find humans, people who can return compassion, even to a jerk.

As ever, Jesse
                well I think Starlight calling me and others irredeemably evil is pretty ironic, coming from someone who was seriously proposing that we allow people to abort toddlers. After that bit of evilry I pretty much ignore any moral pronouncements coming from him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  They had no problem with him when Obama whispered to Medvedev to let Putin know that after the election he would have "more flexibility" to make deals with him.
                  EGGzackly!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dear Starlight,

As ever, Jesse
                    I have missed you. I seldom agree with you, but I often appreciated your input.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Thanks for the kind words, jerk.
                      I like to think of them as alt-criticism.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Who is this "Rouge" fella? Sounds like a real stand up guy.

And math is and will always remain a work of da debil.
                      He's like an alt-rogue, from alt-Georgia, with an alt-FB page celebrating his kinship with the alt-Texans.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I seldom agree with you, but I often appreciated your input.
                      I've got the PMs to prove that, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        I've got the PMs to prove that, too.
                        Do you take credit cards, checks, cash, first-born children?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Do you take credit cards, checks, cash, first-born children?
                          As in, making you pay?
                          I would never admit this publicly....
                          ... but I'm really beginning to appreciate your twisted humor and sadistic and entirely wrong headed view of the world.

No worries, we're square now.

Perhaps some day you'll see the light.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            As in, making you pay?
                            I would never admit this publicly....
                            ... but I'm really beginning to appreciate your twisted humor and sadistic and entirely wrong headed view of the world.

No worries, we're square now.

Perhaps some day you'll see the light.
                            Understood. Just between us girls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Every President fails in some way or another. BTW, how'd that election go for the Greens over there?
                              Actually, it ended up going pretty well, putting the Greens into the ruling coalition for the first time in history.

Most people become conservative the older they get. Young morons like you lack the necessary temper and wisdom to know anything outside of their own selfishness and insecurities.
                              People have always been claiming that once the older (and more conservative) crowd dies, it'll mean great times for liberals. The problem is that, as you say, they become more conservative. The "insanely evil hate filled US conservatives" he says will die of old age? A lot of them were liberals in their youth!

Although, Starlight's declaration of "the bulk of insanely evil hate filled US conservatives will die of old age" and usher in the Democrats forming supermajorities in 2020 doesn't make sense even if them dying would give the Democrats an advantage, because they're not that old yet. In 10 years, maybe, but 3? That's silly.

The joy of the Internet is that this comment will be preserved. When 2020 hits, and the Republicans maintain control, I will proudly post this as yet another shining example of how out of touch foreign liberal idiots are.
                              Hrm... not sure about that. Honestly, I think making predictions about the midterms is a bit premature at this point, let alone 2020. A lot can happen in three years--just look at all the stuff that happened in the single year prior to the 2016 election that resulted in the election going in a way that few predicted, let alone going back two extra years. Of course, this applies no less to Starlight's goofy predictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                                Actually, it ended up going pretty well, putting the Greens into the ruling coalition for the first time in history.
                                And I find it pretty interesting that the same group that chided the US for the Electoral College are singing the praises of the candidate who lost the popular vote being the PM.

Hrm... not sure about that. Honestly, I think making predictions about the midterms is a bit premature at this point, let alone 2020. A lot can happen in three years--just look at all the stuff that happened in the single year prior to the 2016 election that resulted in the election going in a way that few predicted, let alone going back two extra years. Of course, this applies no less to Starlight's goofy predictions.
                                I firmly believe that the sentiment that produced Donald Trump isn't done. Unless the Dems run another black candidate who will get the black vote out in record numbers, like when Obama ran, they certainly won't have enough to take a supermajority.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment