Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do we determine whether the Bible is the Word of God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    cerebrum123 claiming "No, it merely your understanding of innerancy that would be falsified, not that of most of the Christians on TWeb" is a baseless claim because he did not show us, for example, how 42 and 22 can be same in relation to the age of Ahaziah in 2 Chronicles 22:2 and 2 Kings 8:26 respectively.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    cerebrum123 claiming "No, it merely your understanding of innerancy that would be falsified, not that of most of the Christians on TWeb" is a baseless claim because he did not show us, for example, how 42 and 22 can be same in relation to the age of Ahaziah in 2 Chronicles 22:2 and 2 Kings 8:26 respectively.
    I've answered you last time you brought this up. It's a copyist error. Ancient Hebrew used letters instead of numerals like we do today for their "numbers". Many of which were the same "letter", but with the different vowel markings since they had a consonantal language.

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    cereburm123 writing " It's a copyist error" proves there is a contradiction between 2 Chronicles 22:2 and 2 Kings 8:26.

There are many other kinds of contradictions as well in the Bible. For example, while 1 Timothy 6:16 says "no one has seen God nor can anyone see him", Job said to God in Job 42:5 "my eyes have seen you" and "those that are pure in heart will see God".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    cereburm123 writing " It's a copyist error" proves there is a contradiction between 2 Chronicles 22:2 and 2 Kings 8:26.

There are many other kinds of contradictions as well in the Bible. For example, while 1 Timothy 6:16 says "no one has seen God nor can anyone see him", Job said to God in Job 42:5 "my eyes have seen you" and "those that are pure in heart will see God".
    You have shown time and time again that you aren't actually asking questions in good faith. You've also shown an abysmal understanding of all that you try to speak about. You aren't worth wasting more time on.

5. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cerebrum123 writing "You have shown time and time again that you aren't actually asking questions in good faith" is not true in the first place as I have never asked questions. I have shown that there are contradictions in the Bible and hence the Bible today cannot be fully inspired.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Same (or perhaps you prefer Hakeem?), do you have any idea what an idiom is, or how sometimes words are used figuratively instead of literally? Because that is how the word "see" is used in Job 42:5. Job is not claiming to have literally seen God. Here's the entire poem from which the verse is taken:

Scripture Verse: Job 42:1-6 ESV

Then Job answered the Lord and said:

2 “I know that you can do all things,
    and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
    3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
    Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
    4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
    I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
    5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
    6 therefore I despise myself,
    and repent in dust and ashes.”

© Copyright Original Source

"I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;" or, in other words "Previously my knowledge of you came through rumors and hearsay, but now my knowledge of you comes from personal and intimate experience".

8. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Same (or perhaps you prefer Hakeem?), do you have any idea what an idiom is, or how sometimes words are used figuratively instead of literally? Because that is how the word "see" is used in Job 42:5. Job is not claiming to have literally seen God. Here's the entire poem from which the verse is taken:

Scripture Verse: Job 42:1-6 ESV

Then Job answered the Lord and said:

2 “I know that you can do all things,
    and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
    3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
    Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
    4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
    I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
    5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
    6 therefore I despise myself,
    and repent in dust and ashes.”

© Copyright Original Source

"I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;" or, in other words "Previously my knowledge of you came through rumors and hearsay, but now my knowledge of you comes from personal and intimate experience".
    My impression is, that the OP expects the Bible to be a Jewish Koran. The Koran is almost a Divine monologue, with a single character onstage almost all the time. The human element is cut to the absolute minimum. The idea seems to be, that a Scripture with any real human involvement is less really Divine and pure than one in which the only character is God. The full-blooded humanity of the Bible seems to be a real stumbling-block for Muslims.

And the Bible is not like the Koran, for God is made known through being involved with creatures - His very first action in the Bible, is to create something that is not Himself - whereas the god of Islam is remote from human history, far too exalted to do anything so yucky as to become a man.

It doesn’t help that the Bible has at times been spoken of as though it consisted of nothing but universally & eternally valid moral principles devoid of cultural context or conditioning. That it is rooted in a very specific set of cultures, over a long period of time, probably does not help either.

10. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Same (or perhaps you prefer Hakeem?),
    He signed up initially as Hakeem, and apparently lost his password or something during a hiatus and reregistered. We offered to link the two and reset the password under his old account, but he didn't care enough to respond.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    He signed up initially as Hakeem, and apparently lost his password or something during a hiatus and reregistered. We offered to link the two and reset the password under his old account, but he didn't care enough to respond.
    I'm guessing there is a significant language barrier here (and that's the most generous conclusion I can draw).
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger