Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should all pastors be scholars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It does?
    I guess if you are trying to read "that rule well" as implying that some don't.

1 Timothy 5:17New International Version (NIV)
    17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I guess if you are trying to read "that rule well" as implying that some don't.

1 Timothy 5:17New International Version (NIV)
      17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.
      Yeah, I think that's somewhat of a leap. I think it implies some do better than others, but not necessarily that some are "bad teachers".

Following the logic, if the better teachers are worth "double honor", then the "regular" teachers are at least worthy of "some honor". Bad teachers wouldn't be.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The ones who don't labor in the word are the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          The ones who don't labor in the word are the bad ones.
          Doesn't say that. That's a very narrow judgmental interpretation.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

FYI my understanding is that Paul is talking about monetary compensation for pastors when he talks about honor/double honor.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              FYI my understanding is that Paul is talking about monetary compensation for pastors when he talks about honor/double honor.
              That's a reasonable assumption, so why would he be in favor of paying "bad teachers" anything at all. (not aimed at you, of course)

On the contrary, I think he was saying we should reward excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                That's a reasonable assumption, so why would he be in favor of paying "bad teachers" anything at all. (not aimed at you, of course)

On the contrary, I think he was saying we should reward excellence.
                I haven't taught in over two years It wasn't for me.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Yeah, Christians have this strange habit I've mentioned before where we go too far one way or the other. Christian Fundamentalism grew out of the idea that over-edumacation had effectively turned Bible scholars into a bunch of ivory tower snobs who lost the heart of the gospel for all their scholarly knowledge.
                  There were actually several studies that demonstrated that the more education one received, the less they believed in the non-negotiables. But, yeah, that can be taken way too far.

There are a number of congregations kickin around that not only are pastored by people with little to no education, but are actively distrustful of education. This opens the way for all sorts of heretical teaching that comes from a plain reading of a King James Bible, or finds heterodox clergy thinking themselves scholars for occasionally using a Strong's concordance. And of course, there are heavily formal high churches where the clergy are all knowed up, who really have lost the heart of the Gospel for all their deep noodling on theology, and ecclesiology, and what not. There's a middle way between the two, but finding a church that finds that middle way can be hard going. I've been to every type of church out there, and some lean closer to that middle way than others, but I've yet to find one that hits the mark. I've learned, instead, to try to get something out of any place I go.

Comment

I haven't taught in over two years It wasn't for me.
                    But it puts me in mind of our current secular education system in which compensation comes almost entirely by seniority (or who you know) and not by performance.

We do, indeed, have "bad teachers" being compensated the same or better than teachers who excel.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                      1 Corinthians 13 makes it clear that knowledge in itself is useless. Love is essential. I guess my question could be better stated, "is compassion enough on its own, or is education also necessary?"
                      However, the passage does support that knowledge with love is useful. I get uncomfortable with trying to create a chasm between knowledge and Christianity. After all, when Jesus gives His "You should love the Lord your God with all your...", mind appears in all 3 (Matthew 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27). For me, the use of the word mind includes knowledge and education.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        However, the passage does support that knowledge with love is useful. I get uncomfortable with trying to create a chasm between knowledge and Christianity. After all, when Jesus gives His "You should love the Lord your God with all your...", mind appears in all 3 (Matthew 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27). For me, the use of the word mind includes knowledge and education.
                        I don't disagree. But love is the primary requirement, with education after that. I personally feel that a lot of pastors don't have enough education. But how much is enough? How little is too little?
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Playing off of "what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul", what good is Pastor who has great knowledge or learning, yet cannot point people to the saving Grace of Jesus?

But, yeah, it's not "either / or".

Comment

I should have mentioned my brother in law in my earlier post. He is an ordained minister who has conducted same sex marriages. He has indicated that he thinks the Holy Spirit told him that what he was doing was right. It's interesting; he's the intellectual type who's probably read more religious books than I will in my life, but ultimately, his feelings were the ultimate clinching argument for him.

Comment

I should have mentioned my brother in law in my earlier post. He is an ordained minister who has conducted same sex marriages. He has indicated that he thinks the Holy Spirit told him that what he was doing was right. It's interesting; he's the intellectual type who's probably read more religious books than I will in my life, but ultimately, his feelings were the ultimate clinching argument for him.
                              Yeah, some local pastors of some of the biggest mainstream (liberal) churches decided that God told them that Islam was as valid as Christianity, because "we're all climbing the same mountain", just from different directions.

And I'm sure they're aware of the fact that Jesus is recorded as saying HE is the only way. It is much more PC, however, to be "inclusive".

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                                "is compassion enough on its own?"
                                No.

As a Christian, I am called to be compassionate. Indeed I am called to the higher standard to love my neighbor. Compassion and love are related but they not the same. As I work through love and get past the shallow meanings like "I love my car. I love steak.", I've realized how much depth their is to love and its not as easy as it may portrayed.

Unfortunately, compassion by itself is inadequate. Compassion may get you to say "you love each other so gay marriage is ok." Compassion may get you to say "your life has a lot of pain, I'll help you end it" or "your life has a lot pain, I'll end it for you." Compassion may cause you to aid someone's earthly needs and ignore their eternal destiny. I believe God has set rules for what is allowed or not allowed and compassion may cause you to break the rules that even good intensions don't excuse.

I wish compassion was enough on its own. I just can't see it being so.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment