Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should all pastors be scholars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should all pastors be scholars?

What level of theological knowledge should be required for someone to be a pastor of a church? Is all that's required a very basic understanding of the gospel, or should they all be at least somewhat conversant in apologetics? Or church history? Or biblical languages?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

What's that pastor going to be doing?

Is he (somebody else can insert she) going to be ministering to the poor, sick and disadvantaged? Is he going to be focused on winning the lost, and actually seeing people come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

I don't think this can be a "one size fits all" answer. I have friends who are in the ministry who are DMin or such, but they seem to know nothing about the Holy Spirit working to draw men to Salvation.

I have a Pastor friend who went straight from high school to the path that got him TWO Doctorates, and he "knows a lot of stuff", but he seems to have no compassion whatsoever for the poor or the lost. He seems totally absorbed in his "position".

Most of the things in ministry that have blessed me, and for which I am most thankful to God, are things that the Spirit did, not necessarily things I learned in seminary.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      What's that pastor going to be doing?

Is he (somebody else can insert she) going to be ministering to the poor, sick and disadvantaged? Is he going to be focused on winning the lost, and actually seeing people come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

I don't think this can be a "one size fits all" answer. I have friends who are in the ministry who are DMin or such, but they seem to know nothing about the Holy Spirit working to draw men to Salvation.

I have a Pastor friend who went straight from high school to the path that got him TWO Doctorates, and he "knows a lot of stuff", but he seems to have no compassion whatsoever for the poor or the lost. He seems totally absorbed in his "position".

Most of the things in ministry that have blessed me, and for which I am most thankful to God, are things that the Spirit did, not necessarily things I learned in seminary.
      That being said, Creacher. A lot of the churches I've talked to at least expect you to know what you're doing and have some knowledge of scripture and theology.
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        That being said, Creacher. A lot of the churches I've talked to at least expect you to know what you're doing and have some knowledge of scripture and theology.
        ABSOLUTELY! No argument whatsoever.

However, that opens another can of worms. Do Churches always actually know what they need in a pastor? Usually, it's a group of men (or persons) who draw up a "minimum requirement", and this is often the result of disappointment in a previous pastor. I was interviewed by a Church that really wanted me, but there were a few qualifications written by their search committee that I didn't meet. One of them was simply that I was two years too young. I told them "that will change - it just takes time!" But they had it written in their Church's bylaws, so....

Consequently, this Church found the man their bylaws required, and he ended up splitting the Church.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          What level of theological knowledge should be required for someone to be a pastor of a church? Is all that's required a very basic understanding of the gospel, or should they all be at least somewhat conversant in apologetics? Or church history? Or biblical languages?
          Given that a pastor is likely to encounter questions of apologetics and church history, and having some knowledge of biblical languages is likely to be useful in understanding biblical concepts, those seem like useful knowledge for a pastor to have. As CP alludes, knowledge alone is not sufficient to make a good pastor, but it's a useful base.

A part of the Orthodox prayer of ordination implores the Holy Spirit to make up what is lacking, and the priests I know took great comfort in that.

IMO, if one is fully in tune with the Holy Spirit, then one needs no learnin' to be an effective pastor; however, we are rarely anything close to fully in tune with Him.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Given that a pastor is likely to encounter questions of apologetics and church history, and having some knowledge of biblical languages is likely to be useful in understanding biblical concepts, those seem like useful knowledge for a pastor to have. As CP alludes, knowledge alone is not sufficient to make a good pastor, but it's a useful base.

A part of the Orthodox prayer of ordination implores the Holy Spirit to make up what is lacking, and the priests I know took great comfort in that.

IMO, if one is fully in tune with the Holy Spirit, then one needs no learnin' to be an effective pastor; however, we are rarely anything close to fully in tune with Him.
            Well said.

Meanwhile, can somebody PLEASE fix the fact that THEOLOGYWEB doesn't recognize "apologetics" as a properly spelled word?

Comment

He just needs to be called by God to be a pastor and be good at it.

Comment

This kind of discussion (which I enjoy) reminds me of....
                Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

(I think that verse may be, at least in part, at the heart of what OBP was alluding to)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Well said.

Meanwhile, can somebody PLEASE fix the fact that THEOLOGYWEB doesn't recognize "apologetics" as a properly spelled word?
                  When I use it it is accepted. You will have to go in and add it to your own dictionary.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    When I use it it is accepted. You will have to go in and add it to your own dictionary.
                    No! Just NO!

(ok)

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                      What's interesting is that JUST YESTERDAY I shared with our congregation the story of a man who, when he was in my College Ministry many years ago (he was a college student in criminal justice), is now the Dean of a major University, with far more education than I'll ever have, but I had the joy of leading him to Jesus.

Comment

In my church, pastors are expected to seek education . I know former "homies" that are ministering and pursuing online courses.etc. Members of the church are expected to learn and uphold basic theology (like the God hood of Jesus, the need for salvation and the work of the Holy Spirit etc.) And the requirements of the Great Commission. Our Lead pastor does insist on the leading of the Holy Spirit (we're Pentecostal after all!)
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I think I've shared this before, but I preached a revival in Kentucky once where I was told quite plainly that "you're either God-called or man-made" as a preacher. Somebody who has been educated is most certainly in the latter category.

Comment

I think a college degree is pretty much essential for a pastor, but I remember being told that D.L. Moody never finished fifth grade, and Gypsy Smith never attended school.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              I think a college degree is pretty much essential for a pastor, but I remember being told that D.L. Moody never finished fifth grade, and Gypsy Smith never attended school.
                              Then there's the curious case of the Carpenter of Nazareth...

Comment