Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Absolutely, Jimmy -- even though when YOU are called on to substantiate an accusation you run away like a little girl at a rattlesnake roundup!

Your "explanation" exposed your profound ignorance.
    What I admitted to you idiot was that I first considered myself an agnostic because I couldn't say that I know with certainty one way or the other, but that, after discussing it here on tweb with the likes of you and your's, you changed my mind to a more atheistic perspective. Did you notice the part where I said there is little difference between the two terms?

I certainly am.
    Doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Woah, doggy, did that strike a nerve.
      Not at all! You may well be inherently depraved but I’m not.

The problem for atheism, and I know you guys are aware of this because we've discussed it before, is that if we follow it to its logical conclusion then we have no moral obligation to be cooperative or altruistic or whatever -- remember Hume's "you can't derive an ought from an is"?
      There’s no problem. We have no moral obligation to be cooperative or altruistic or whatever, but we tend to be because that’s how we as social animals have evolved to be, e.g. a mother has no “moral obligation” to nurture her child, but she generally does, it’s instinctive..

The very notion that we have any sort of obligation to each other is distinctly grounded in theistic religion.
      No its not, it’s grounded in our evolved instincts to maintain a cohesive society.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        What I admitted to you idiot
        pee-wee idiot.jpg

It's actually right there in type... I'll bold the important parts....
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So, you're finally admitting that you've been deceptive about your claim to be an "Agnostic"? You're coming out of the closet, Jimmy?
        Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Admitted that long ago CP, but there is little difference between the two. If you have no opinion either way, then you don't believe!

perhaps you should actually READ what you're responding to, and respond a little more cogently, and with less malice.

was that I first considered myself an agnostic because I couldn't say that I know with certainty one way or the other, but that, after discussing it here on tweb with the likes of you and your's,
        That would be "yours", Jimmy - there's no such word as your's. Yours should never have an apostrophe.

you changed my mind to a more atheistic perspective.

So, that's your story and you're sticking to it? You "admitted that long ago", but somehow we changed your mind about what you believe.

Did you notice the part where I said there is little difference between the two terms?
        Yeah, well, you're ignorant, so.....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The problem for atheism, and I know you guys are aware of this because we've discussed it before, is that if we follow it to its logical conclusion then we have no moral obligation to be cooperative or altruistic or whatever -- remember Hume's "you can't derive an ought from an is"? The very notion that we have any sort of obligation to each other is distinctly grounded in theistic religion.
          That's not a problem for atheism, just like it's not a problem for astronomy, numismatics or skateboarding. It's a problem for theists who can't produce or follow a moral framework unless some guy in a fancy frock tells them they'll be punished if they don't do what he, er 'God', tells them to.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            The SCOTUS has ruled otherwise, so stop whining.
            I don't deny that leftists courts have violated the Constitution.

There were many religion-based hangovers dating from prior to the Constitution. Until and unless they are challenged and brought before the courts they continue unabated. This doesn’t make them right or in accordance with the Constitution. School prayer is one of these things.
            That is just stupid, school prayer does not violate the Constitution AS WRITTEN. CONGRESS shall make no LAW. Even as dense as you are Tass surely you can see that a school is not congress making a law!
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              No I was speaking of teacher lead prayer (which I think I mentioned), school sanctioned prayer - that that is not unconstitutional. The option - not that students had to join in. I remember those days, you had the option of joining in or not - not compulsory.
              If students had to attend and listen then it was compulsory.
              We actually had teacher lead prayer, it was not compulsory for students,...
              I bet it was.
              ... nor was it compulsory for teachers to do it. I had teachers who did and didn't. The option was there. But again, a school district is not CONGRESS making a LAW.
              They're acting in accordance with a law passed by a congress.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                That's not a problem for atheism, just like it's not a problem for astronomy, numismatics or skateboarding. It's a problem for theists who can't produce or follow a moral framework unless some guy in a fancy frock tells them they'll be punished if they don't do what he, er 'God', tells them to.
                That's a terrible summation of Christianity, Roy. My Christian parents taught us to do the basic "be kind, don't hit, share" things, not because we would be punished, but because it was the right thing to do. As I grew up and eventually became a Christian, my motivation was never "to keep from being punished", but to be more like Jesus. We are Christ followers, not punishment fearers.

(and my pastors never wore frocks - our nursery workers did )
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If students had to attend and listen then it was compulsory.
                  Nope, if you didn't have to join in it was not compulsory. Jehovah Witnesses will not say the pledge, is it compulsory just because they hear it - silly.

I bet it was.
                  You bet wrong, I was there.

They're acting in accordance with a law passed by a congress.
                  What are you talking about? I'm talking about a school initiating a morning prayer, or having the Ten Commandments on site - not a congress making a law mandating these things.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What is the atheist moral framework? Oh wait - there isn't one...

Comment

That's a terrible summation of Christianity, Roy. My Christian parents taught us to do the basic "be kind, don't hit, share" things, not because we would be punished, but because it was the right thing to do. As I grew up and eventually became a Christian, my motivation was never "to keep from being punished", but to be more like Jesus. We are Christ followers, not punishment fearers.

(and my pastors never wore frocks - our nursery workers did )
                      Right, they can't seem to understand that we act out of love and gratitude for what God and Christ have done for us...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Do you think that the writers of the constitution and the fathers of our country, the USA, meant that there could not be any prayers in school when they wrote the constitution and the first amendment? That it was their intention to keep religion out of schools altogether?
                        No. Their statements and language are clear. Their intent was that the government not favour any one religion (or none) over another (or over none), which would include not permitting laws that force people (including schoolchildren) to attend particular church or religious services.

There will always be prayers in school as long as there are religious students who say grace and take exams. There will always be religion in school as long as there are religious views in society that students need to be taught about.* But neither of these require authority favouring a specific religion or group of religions.

I don't think this is in any way difficult to understand, or controversial, - except when those wishing to foist their own religious views on others deliberately misrepresent it.

*NB: taught about, not taught.
                        Last edited by Roy; 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Right, they can't seem to understand that we act out of love and gratitude for what God and Christ have done for us...
                          And that's key - we don't "do works" so we can get into Heaven, or for fear of punishment - we "do works" BECAUSE of what Christ has done....

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Comment

And that's key - we don't "do works" so we can get into Heaven, or for fear of punishment - we "do works" BECAUSE of what Christ has done....

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
                            Partly that, and partly because we love God.

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

And, admittedly, sometimes for the wrong reasons. I'll sometimes refrain from a particular sin because I don't want to have to confess it later (IOW, pride can paradoxically keep me on the straight and narrow). This despite the fact that my priest is never judgmental, and I always feel so much better afterwards.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Partly that, and partly because we love God.
                              Especially that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                                Do you believe that the right to free speech's* primary purpose is to protect minority opinions? Also, if you imagine a dominant minority scenario, you can assume I refer to that group when I say majority.

* as per the First Amendment
                                Are you really this dense? The primary purpose of the free speech clause is to -- wait for it -- protect all free speech. Those who espouse a minority opinion do not have a greater claim to legal protection than those who espouse a majority opinion.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment