Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Regardless, you lose.
    Let's wait until the game is over before making pronouncements about the outcome, shall we? There are two more shots for a different outcome, and it's not some fly-by-night outfit defending the monument, but a nationally ranked law firm.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Let's wait until the game is over before making pronouncements about the outcome, shall we? There are two more shots for a different outcome, and it's not some fly-by-night outfit defending the monument, but a nationally ranked law firm.
      Okay, you lose the first round.

Comment

Interesting how these quotes from Lewis, from the atheists perspective, define equally as well the atheists description of the religious. We atheists are out, it's you who are still in the prison, even if you've grown to like it there.
        Atheists are simply narrow-minded religious bigots who want their own religion to rule while stamping out all others. Much like the Taliban went across the world destroying relics of other religions.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Atheists are simply narrow-minded religious bigots who want their own religion to rule while stamping out all others. Much like the Taliban went across the world destroying relics of other religions.
          Blah Blah Blah.

Comment

Blah Blah Blah.
            That's about par for the course for your commentary, Jimmy.

The truth remains - atheists (and I should point out it's the militant ones like you, not all atheists) will not be happy until all other religions but their own are destroyed.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I'll take the courts decision on that rather than CP"s, Jed's and your opinions seer.
              It is not my opinion Jim, it is what the text actually says. It only restricts congress from making a LAW. It does not restrict any public entity from supporting or favoring a religion as the Founders actually did. From the Library of Congress:

Congress appointed chaplains for itself and the armed forces, sponsored the publication of a Bible, imposed Christian morality on the armed forces, and granted public lands to promote Christianity among the Indians. National days of thanksgiving and of "humiliation, fasting, and prayer" were proclaimed by Congress at least twice a year throughout the war. Congress was guided by "covenant theology," a Reformation doctrine especially dear to New England Puritans, which held that God bound himself in an agreement with a nation and its people. This agreement stipulated that they "should be prosperous or afflicted, according as their general Obedience or Disobedience thereto appears." Wars and revolutions were, accordingly, considered afflictions, as divine punishments for sin, from which a nation could rescue itself by repentance and reformation.

The first national government of the United States, was convinced that the "public prosperity" of a society depended on the vitality of its religion. Nothing less than a "spirit of universal reformation among all ranks and degrees of our citizens," Congress declared to the American people, would "make us a holy, that so we may be a happy people."

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel04.html
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I believe it was Hamilton who said that the Constitution was only suitable for the governing of a religious and moral people.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I believe it was Hamilton who said that the Constitution was only suitable for the governing of a religious and moral people.
                  And as we become less moral as a nation the Constitution is being accepted, as written, less and less.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    John Adams.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Blah Blah Blah.
                      By George, I do believe that might be the smartest most logical thing that you've posted in months.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I'm not sure what answer you're looking for, but I doubt you're going to get it from me: Basically, the Founding Fathers didn't want the power of the law being used to establish an official state religion or prohibit religious expression.

Like I said, it's not hard to understand.

They certainly wanted to prevent situations like the one being discussed here where the courts are used to stamp out religious expression and is exactly the sort of thing Thomas Jefferson promised wouldn't happen when he wrote that there was a wall (the First Amendment) prohibiting the government from taking this sort of action.
                        How isn't being against the government establishing a state religion or prohibiting religious express focused on protecting religious minorities?

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          I'm not sure what you mean. States were free to have tax supported churches, or not. From all I have have read the Founders did not want a national Church, like the Church of England.
                          Do you think states still retain the right to establish a government-backed church? Would you want them to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                            How isn't being against the government establishing a state religion or prohibiting religious express focused on protecting religious minorities?
                            Does a State Church, say in England, stop other religions or religious minorities from worshiping as they see fit? You are seeing a paper tiger.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              Do you think states still retain the right to establish a government-backed church? Would you want them to?
                              Good question.

Seer is nostalgically harking back to the pre-Constitution era of the Continental Conferences when there were a lot of religious practices exercised by the states which are not be acceptable today. The Continental Congresses met from 1774 to 1789 in three incarnations until the US Constitution took effect in March 4, 1789 and superseded all previous practices.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                That's about par for the course for your commentary, Jimmy.

The truth remains - atheists (and I should point out it's the militant ones like you, not all atheists) will not be happy until all other religions but their own are destroyed.
                                First of all atheism isn't a religion CP, and second, people are free to believe whatever fairy tale, myths, they like, even if it is ridiculously naive to do so. But just as you believe that all other religions are just fairy tales, we atheists know that your religion is no different than those others. I'm not really sure if I want to destroy them all or not, because doing so just might unleash all of you otherwise immoral people on the world.

Comment