Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's about par for the course for your commentary, Jimmy.

The truth remains - atheists (and I should point out it's the militant ones like you, not all atheists) will not be happy until all other religions but their own are destroyed.
    Atheism does not meet the definition of a "religion" despite the best efforts of the likes of you to categorise it as one. More to the point, you are free to keep your religious beliefs. But no one has the right to impose their private morality on anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Do you think states still retain the right to establish a government-backed church? Would you want them to?
      Probably not on both issues, but not allowing a cross on public property, or the Ten Commandments in school, or even school prayer, would have been laughed at by the very Founders who penned the Amendment.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Good question.

Seer is nostalgically harking back to the pre-Constitution era of the Continental Conferences when there were a lot of religious practices exercised by the states which are not be acceptable today. The Continental Congresses met from 1774 to 1789 in three incarnations until the US Constitution took effect in March 4, 1789 and superseded all previous practices.
        Homer, things like church taxes lasted into the 1830s, school prayer was wide spread until the 1960s, the Christian Chaplain service is still enforce. Congress shall make no LAW has nothing to do with whether a school district allowed teacher lead prayer (as when I grew up) or a city hall displaying a cross or the ten commandments.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Homer, things like church taxes lasted into the 1830s, school prayer was wide spread until the 1960s, the Christian Chaplain service is still enforce. Congress shall make no LAW has nothing to do with whether a school district allowed teacher lead prayer (as when I grew up) or a city hall displaying a cross or the ten commandments.
          by the Supreme Court in its decision in Wallace v. Jaffree (1985).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Does a State Church, say in England, stop other religions or religious minorities from worshiping as they see fit? You are seeing a paper tiger.
            Then what harm did the founding fathers think a federal religion would cause?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              First of all atheism isn't a religion CP
              Yes, it is.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                by the Supreme Court in its decision in Wallace v. Jaffree (1985).
                You are completely daft, school prayer does not violate the Constitution - A school having prayer is NOT CONGRESS making a LAW. No matter how leftist courts bastardized the Amendment, the Amendment only prevents congress from establishing a religion by LAW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
                  How isn't being against the government establishing a state religion or prohibiting religious express focused on protecting religious minorities?
                  Religious minorities might benefit from the protections of the First Amendment, but that's not its express purpose.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yes, it is.

Comment

Yes, it is.
                      Really, and who is the god that atheists are venerating?

Comment

• Which atheism does.

These things are not really part of the atheists lexicon; lacking adequate definition.
                        The whole definition of atheist is someone who believes there is no god. You clearly must have a definition of "god" if you are to claim there is not a god. I don't really care one way or the other whether atheism counts as a religion or not, but by your own offered definition of a religion, atheism does count, though agnosticism would not.
                        Last edited by Terraceth; 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Which atheism does.

The whole definition of atheist is someone who believes there is no god. You clearly must have a definition of "god" if you are to claim there is not a god. I don't really care one way or the other whether atheism counts as a religion or not, but by your own offered definition of a religion, atheism does count, though agnosticism would not.

Comment

• Comment

• It's interesting to me the number of atheists who recognize the inherent depravity and hopelessness of their worldview and try to address this deficiency by borrowing from Christianity despite its incompatibility with atheism.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                It's interesting to me the number of atheists who recognize the inherent depravity and hopelessness of their worldview and try to address this deficiency by borrowing from Christianity despite its incompatibility with atheism.
                                Thats because you're very shallow there MM. One can find both wisdom as well as nonsense in the Bible, the same as one does in a fairy tale.

Comment