Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I amen'd that. I think.

But, for grins, do you feel that same way over the civil war monuments that are causing such hyperflatus from many?
    The situation there is much more complicated. What do the statues mean? What is it that the southerners are proud of? What do they neglect? This is Randy Newman – New Orleans Wins the War. The joke is in the second verse.

Don't remember much about my baby days
    But I been told
    We used to live on Willow near the Garden District
    Next to the Sugar Bowl
    Momma used to wheel me past an ice cream wagon
    One side for White and one side for Colored
    I remember trash cans floatin' down Canal Street
    It rained every day one summer
    Momma used to take me to Audubon Park
    Show me the ways of the world
    She said "here comes a white boy there goes a black one, that one's an octoroon
    This little cookie here's a macaroon, that big round thing's a red balloon
    And the paper down here's called the Picayune
    And here's a New Orleans tune"

In 1948 my Daddy came to the city
    Told the people that they'd won the war
    Maybe they'd heard it, maybe not
    Probably they'd heard it and just forgot
    Cause they built him a platform there in Jackson Square
    And the people came to hear him from everywhere
    They started to party and they partied some more
    Cause New Orleans had won the war
    (We knew we'd do it, we done whipped the Yankees)

Daddy said, "I'm gonna get this boy out of this place
    Bound to sap his strength
    People have fun here, and I think that they should
    But nobody from here every come to no good
    They're gonna pickle him in brandy and tell him he's saved
    Then throw fireworks all 'round his grave"

So he took us down to the airport, and flew us back to L.A.
    That was the end of my baby days
    Blue blue morning, blue blue day
    All your bad dreams drift away
    It's a blue blue morning, of a blue blue day
    Lose those bad dreams
    Those gray clouds above you, what you want them around with you for?
    You got someone to love you
    Who could ask for more?
    It's a blue blue morning, of a blue blue day
    All your bad dreams drift away
    Minisha Sinha is a historian at the University of Connecticut. She says Americans’ monuments to the Confederacy are unusual for several reasons.

First, Sinha says, “unlike any other country in the world, the U.S. actually has statues commemorating people from the South who committed treason against the U.S. government.”

Second, she says, the Confederacy was based on the belief of white people’s superiority over black people. For example, the vice president of the Confederacy, Andrew Stephens, wrote, "Our new government is founded upon … the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.”

As a result, says Sinha, Confederate heroes are not innocuous markers of American history.
    “In fact, these figures represent a short-lived nation that was in rebellion against the United States, and that really stood for slavery and white supremacy.”
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Or Christ's return. The sooner the better.
      ...on a cloud I believe. That'll be nice.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It's purpose is exactly what it says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Not hard to understand.
        That doesn't answer my question. Why shouldn't congress make a law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof? I realize the question is obvious but I want to know in your own words.
        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-21-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          To prevent CONGRESS from establishing a national religion by LAW. As you know many of the early states, like mine, had tax supported churches. States were free do do this or not.
          So do you think it was to prevent religious oppression of, specifically, states?
          Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-21-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            So do you think it was to prevent religious oppression of, specifically, states?
            I'm not sure what you mean. States were free to have tax supported churches, or not. From all I have have read the Founders did not want a national Church, like the Church of England.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              ...on a cloud I believe. That'll be nice.
              With clouds.

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30).
              Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him (Revelation 1:7).
              Matt 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
                That doesn't answer my question. Why shouldn't congress make a law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof? I realize the question is obvious but I want to know in your own words.
                I'm not sure what answer you're looking for, but I doubt you're going to get it from me: Basically, the Founding Fathers didn't want the power of the law being used to establish an official state religion or prohibit religious expression.

Like I said, it's not hard to understand.

They certainly wanted to prevent situations like the one being discussed here where the courts are used to stamp out religious expression and is exactly the sort of thing Thomas Jefferson promised wouldn't happen when he wrote that there was a wall (the First Amendment) prohibiting the government from taking this sort of action.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  Because the Church of England and the Catholic Church were fresh on their minds, and they didn't want a State Religion.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Too funny!
                    Somehow, I doubt you'll be laughing then. Best get your laughs in now while you can.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      With clouds.

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30).
                      Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him (Revelation 1:7).
                      Matt 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven
                      Perhaps Jesus should have come that way in the first place so that every eye should see him, then you wouldn't have to be making excuses for why all those who never knew or heard of Jesus should still believe, and why they have to go to hell for not believeing. But we know why that wasn't the case, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Somehow, I doubt you'll be laughing then. Best get your laughs in now while you can.
                        Grow up OBP, your childhood fantasy god ain't coming to save his favored few, the world is uncreated, you're just a temporal part it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Perhaps Jesus should have come that way in the first place so that every eye should see him, then you wouldn't have to be making excuses for why all those who never knew or heard of Jesus should still believe, and why they have to go to hell for not believeing. But we know why that wasn't the case, don't we?
                          You know, Jimmy, I have a feeling that even if Jesus rode down on a cloud and talked with you face to face that you would still refuse to repent. You're like the Pharisees who constantly demanded just one more sign before they would believe.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Grow up OBP, your childhood fantasy god ain't coming to save his favored few, the world is uncreated, you're just a temporal part it.
                            Four wholly unsubstantiated assertions in a single line, and you used "you're" correctly!

Did you have something to say about the OP, or are you just here to mock?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You know, Jimmy, I have a feeling that even if Jesus rode down on a cloud and talked with you face to face that you would still refuse to repent. You're like the Pharisees who constantly demanded just one more sign before they would believe.
                              I couldn't care less what you feel MM, facts are facts and if a God wanted to make himself known to all rather than to just a few people here and there, then I'm sure he could have figured out a way to do it. I know what religion is, its a way to soothe the fears of the immature, and to keep the unruly in line.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Four wholly unsubstantiated assertions in a single line, and you used "you're" correctly!

Did you have something to say about the OP, or are you just here to mock?
                                As far as the Cross goes, it is obviously a religious symbol and doesn't belong on public land.

Comment