Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, you confirmed it - you have no clue. And you appear to have forgotten your argument.
    Why don't you enlighten us all then CP?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Why don't you enlighten us all then CP?
      You'd be the only one needing enlightened, and it would most likely be a total waste of time.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Jefferson wasn't a Deist, Deists of that time did not believe God interfered in human affairs. Jefferson did believe He did. He was a generic theist. Two on the Committee were Christian, Adams was raised Calvinist, was Unitarian while Abigail was alive, later went back to his Calvinist roots.
        Every historical textbook I've ever read has Jefferson written as a Deist. He even made it clear that he didn't trust biblical accounts of miracles and even had them removed from his own bibles. Hardly the work of a Christian.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

You'd be the only one needing enlightened, and it would most likely be a total waste of time.
          That would be enlightenment CP. But thanks for proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

That would be enlightenment CP. But thanks for proving you don't know what you're talking about.
            Hardly. He doesn't want to wrestle in the mud with you because he knows you'd like it
            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

No, the result would be enlightenment - the process would be enlightening, which, if successful, would leave you enlightened. And that ain't happenin'.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                Hardly. He doesn't want to wrestle in the mud with you because he knows you'd like it
                Actually he loves nothing better than to, as you put it, wrestle in the mud with me, watch!

Comment

Actually he loves nothing better than to, as you put it, wrestle in the mud with me, watch!
                  Actually, let's get back to the error of your ways. You said...

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  ...but unless the country was founded as a Christian theocracy, then it wasn't founded as a Christian nation.
                  There is the proof that you don't understand what a Christian theocracy is. A nation can be a "Christian nation" without being founded as a Christian theocracy.

A state religion (also called an established religion or official religion) is a religious body or creed officially endorsed by the state. A state with an official religion, while not secular, is not necessarily a theocracy, a country whose rulers have both secular and spiritual authority. State religions are official or government-sanctioned establishments of a religion, but the state does not need be under the control of the religion (as in a theocracy) nor is the state-sanctioned religion necessarily under the control of the state.

Comment

• Here is an evangelical site that lends support to ke7ejx's claim about the Jefferson Bible:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Thomas-...son-Bible.html
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Could we say that Jefferson was a Christian, he just wasn't a very good one?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That's completely false, Jefferson did not believe in Yahwey, Christ, or the triune God of Christianity. He believed in a supreme being, thought Jesus to be a great moral philosopher, and thats about it. He once, writing to a friend, said that he believed himself to be "a sect unto himself, as far as he knew". You can't be a Christian and not believe in Yahwey, Christ, and the triune god.
                        Unitarians would disagree - so would Jehovah's Witnesses, come to that. Then too, there are Trinitarians who do not accept all of the claims made with regard to the trinity or the continuing deity of Christ while he was a man. However, the god of Jefferson was still - in his opinion - the god of the Bible.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Actually, let's get back to the error of your ways. You said...

There is the proof that you don't understand what a Christian theocracy is. A nation can be a "Christian nation" without being founded as a Christian theocracy.

A state religion (also called an established religion or official religion) is a religious body or creed officially endorsed by the state. A state with an official religion, while not secular, is not necessarily a theocracy, a country whose rulers have both secular and spiritual authority. State religions are official or government-sanctioned establishments of a religion, but the state does not need be under the control of the religion (as in a theocracy) nor is the state-sanctioned religion necessarily under the control of the state.
                          Okay, if you want to split hairs, you are technically correct, technically, but in any case the U.S. doesn't have an established, or a state religion, so my point stands, the U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Unitarians would disagree - so would Jehovah's Witnesses, come to that. Then too, there are Trinitarians who do not accept all of the claims made with regard to the trinity or the continuing deity of Christ while he was a man. However, the god of Jefferson was still - in his opinion - the god of the Bible.
                            Edited by a Moderator
                            Moderated By: Jedediah

I do believe you know that blaspheme is not allowed.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Jedidiah; 11-01-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Could we say that Jefferson was a Christian, he just wasn't a very good one?
                              You can if you like, but you'd be wrong.

Comment

Okay, if you want to split hairs, you are technically correct, technically,
                                Why is it so hard for you just to admit when you're wrong? But, I guess this is as good as I'm going to get.

but in any case the U.S. doesn't have an established, or a state religion,
                                I don't think anybody was claiming that.

so my point stands, the U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation.
                                Naw... that wasn't your point at all. Would you like me to cite it again?

Comment