Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Grow up OBP, your childhood fantasy god ain't coming to save his favored few, the world is uncreated, you're just a temporal part it.
    Why are you so bitter about this? Why have you spent years of your life interacting with Christians on this forum trying to convince yourself that we're wrong if you really think it's just a fairytale? That's what I don't understand about atheists. Of course the excuse is that Christianity somehow affects your life, but surely Islam is a much greater threat in that respect, yet I doubt you spend any time at all debating these issues with Muslims.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

...if a God wanted to make himself known to all rather than to just a few people here and there, then I'm sure he could have figured out a way to do it.
      Yeah. I mean, he could have at least written a book...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        As far as the Cross goes, it is obviously a religious symbol and doesn't belong on public land.
        Yes, it is a religious symbol. Banning religious symbols from public land seems to stretch the First Amendment well beyond both its words and intent, however. Further, it was put up to commemorate war dead, not promote religion. Lastly, tearing down monuments of the past because some small segment of the population doesn't like them smacks to me of the tail wagging the dog.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Yes, it is a religious symbol. Banning religious symbols from public land seems to stretch the First Amendment well beyond both its words and intent, however. Further, it was put up to commemorate war dead, not promote religion. Lastly, tearing down monuments of the past because some small segment of the population doesn't like them smacks to me of the tail wagging the dog.
          Its a monument, not a headstone, it commemorates, but it also promotes religion. And it isn't about a small segment of the population, its about the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Yeah. I mean, he could have at least written a book...

Yeah, a book without nonsensical childish fairy tales in it like Noah and his Ark, or long dead saints climbing out of their graves , or demons being cast out of a man into a herd of pigs, or thousands of people being fed with a fish or two, etc etc etc etc etc etc. That you can still believe that kind of childish nonsense in this day and age, well lets just say, it doesn't do much for your intellectual image.

Comment

I'm reminded me of this passage from C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew:

“He thinks great folly, child,” said Aslan. “This world is bursting with life for these few days because the song with which I called it into life still hangs in the air and rumbles in the ground. It will not be so for long. But I cannot tell that to this old sinner, and I cannot comfort him either; he has made himself unable to hear my voice. If I spoke to him, he would hear only growlings and roarings. Oh, Adam’s sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good!"

And this quote from The Last Battle:

“You see,” said Aslan. “They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.

Comment

Its a monument, not a headstone, it commemorates, but it also promotes religion. And it isn't about a small segment of the population, its about the Constitution.
                No Jim, it is not about the Constitution, the Constitution does not prevent religious expression on public lands, nor does it forbid school prayer, or even using tax dollars to promote religion - which is exactly what the Founders did.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Its a monument, not a headstone, it commemorates, but it also promotes religion.
                  No, it does not "promote" religion. Only in the minds of those filled with hate toward religious liberty.

And it isn't about a small segment of the population, its about the Constitution.
                  The Constitution says NOTHING about removing Crosses from public land. Not even close. And it's the Bill of Rights (the first 10 amendments) that addresses the notion that Congress should keep their noses out of religious issues.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As has been pointed out repeatedly this goes directly against the Constitution.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I'm reminded me of this passage from C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew:

“He thinks great folly, child,” said Aslan. “This world is bursting with life for these few days because the song with which I called it into life still hangs in the air and rumbles in the ground. It will not be so for long. But I cannot tell that to this old sinner, and I cannot comfort him either; he has made himself unable to hear my voice. If I spoke to him, he would hear only growlings and roarings. Oh, Adam’s sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good!"

And this quote from The Last Battle:

“You see,” said Aslan. “They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.
                      Interesting how these quotes from Lewis, from the atheists perspective, define equally as well the atheists description of the religious. We atheists are out, it's you who are still in the prison, even if you've grown to like it there.
                      Last edited by JimL; 10-21-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        No Jim, it is not about the Constitution, the Constitution does not prevent religious expression on public lands, nor does it forbid school prayer, or even using tax dollars to promote religion - which is exactly what the Founders did.
                        Well, I'll take the courts decision on that rather than CP"s, Jed's and your opinions seer.

Comment

Well, I'll take the courts decision on that rather than CP"s, Jed's and your opinions seer.
                          You know what judges are? Lawyers appointed by politicians to decide which lawyers make better arguments from the facts. In other words, they're human too, and just as prone to arguing from their beliefs rather than the facts.

I find it interesting that atheists see bugbears in the mere presence of a symbol, even while calling what it represents an ubelievable, childish fairy tale. Why should you care if something unbelievable is promoted, when promotion couldn't possibly convince anyone anyhow? That's a rhetorical question, by the way; no need to answer it.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You know what judges are? Lawyers appointed by politicians to decide which lawyers make better arguments from the facts. In other words, they're human too, and just as prone to arguing from their beliefs rather than the facts.

I find it interesting that atheists see bugbears in the mere presence of a symbol, even while calling what it represents an ubelievable, childish fairy tale. Why should you care if something unbelievable is promoted, when promotion couldn't possibly convince anyone anyhow? That's a rhetorical question, by the way; no need to answer it.
                            Regardless, you lose.

Comment

Interesting how these quotes from Lewis, from the atheists perspective, define equally as well the atheists description of the religious. We atheists are out, it's you who are still in the prison, even if you've grown to like it there there.
                              Come on, Jimmy, surely you can do better than "I know you are but what am I!"

Comment

Indeed. Would they get their nose out of joint if the display depicted Santa Claus? I doubt it.

Comment