Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mark 9:50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark 9:50

I have to admit I have no idea what Mark 9:50 refers to.

"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

I looked the passage up in one commentary and the author only said that he had no idea what it meant himself.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

One of my favorite comments is by David Guzik who says....

"This passage has led to many different interpretations."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

I looked the passage up in one commentary and the author only said that he had no idea what it meant himself.
      Those who ostensibly are of God, that is, the salt that heals and is a desirable spice -- when they become judgmental and they keep the true message from going forward, they have lost the benefits of being the salt. The solution is to make sure your message is consistent with God's purpose -- shared in humility savored with intent to promote peace.

Comment

It depends to some extent on v. 49, which appears to be attached to the previous verses. Unfortunately, there are variants in v. 49 which make things more difficult.

Source: Mk 9:49 NKVJ (Majority Text)

For everyone will be seasoned with fire, and every sacrifice will be seasoned with salt.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Mk 9:49 NRSV (NU Text)

For everyone will be salted with fire.

Source: Mk 9:49 NRSV (footnote)

[For] every sacrifice will be salted with salt.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Those who ostensibly are of God, that is, the salt that heals and is a desirable spice -- when they become judgmental and they keep the true message from going forward, they have lost the benefits of being the salt. The solution is to make sure your message is consistent with God's purpose -- shared in humility savored with intent to promote peace.
          That's a good sentiment, but how does one get that from the context of vv. 43-47[48]?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wow you guys don't know what it means? That's funny. I know exactly what it means. I could tell you but that would be a spoiler. Yeppers.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              That's a good sentiment, but how does one get that from the context of vv. 43-47[48]?
              One should start with 42.

The passage talks about surviving a cleansing or purification through fire (vs 49) -- through a specific trialsome period. The temptation to overcome (for which to cut of one's hand, analogically speaking) was that of sharing a false message that caused young ones to stumble (and a message that went against peace in Christ). This passage was directed especially to a first-century Jewish context where their message had fallen away from the goals in scripture.

Edited comment:
              verses 43-48 are interpreted in light of verse 42. Also, in the broader context of the gospels, we see that the message promulgated by the Jewish leaders did cause people to stumble.

We can see that within 43-48 there is an analogy where the body parts represent the cherished traditions of the people which in fact are sinful and are salt without flavor. These were traditions that caused the young to stumble -- where only the young were mentioned in this context even though, in the broader sense, all adherents to the message were stumbling.
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Salt was then, as now, obtained from two primary sources, salt water and mines. The problem was they didn't necessarily refine salt to the degree we are used to - it wasn't that easy a process to start with, hence the great value of salt in the ancient world.

Salt was rarely as pure as what we have on our tables. And yes, if it was allowed to get too wet, it could simply seep out the salt, leaving only the contaminants. 'Salt' would then cease to be salty.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Salt was then, as now, obtained from two primary sources, salt water and mines. The problem was they didn't necessarily refine salt to the degree we are used to - it wasn't that easy a process to start with, hence the great value of salt in the ancient world.

Salt was rarely as pure as what we have on our tables. And yes, if it was allowed to get too wet, it could simply seep out the salt, leaving only the contaminants. 'Salt' would then cease to be salty.
                  Wow....we could get too diluted to be any good....
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

A quote follows from the People's NT commentary...

Source: PNTC, Mark

In the present context fire and salt appear to be symbols of the trials and costs of discipleship. Discipleship to Jesus lays a total claim on one’s life; in the language of sacrifice, it must be totally consuming or it is worthless. Rather than consuming believers in frustration and failure, however, trials make their walk holy and acceptable to God. The disciple who takes up the cross of Jesus and follows on the way to Jerusalem (8:34), who nurtures the faith of another believer (v. 42), who willingly forsakes things precious but injurious to the life of faith is himself a holy sacrifice, a “living sacrifice” according to Paul (Rom 12:1).

This helps explain the puzzling phrase “salted with fire” (v. 49). Testing by fire is not simply a painful necessity of discipleship, but an offering itself pleasing to God, a seasoning or salting with fire. If fires of trials and adversity beset the faithful (1 Pet 1:7; 4:12), they do so as a consequence of their following the Son of Man who must suffer. In costly discipleship to the Son of Man believers become salt and light to the world (Matt 5:13–16). The willingness of disciples to bear shame and hardship for Christ is a reflection of Christ’s redemptive sufferings and a harbinger of hope to the world.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

So would this imply a teaching similar to Hebrews 6:4-6 that once you fall, you can't return?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That helps show some world-focused context for the original listeners to see the saltlessness as something normal in their world.

Comment

So would this imply a teaching similar to Hebrews 6:4-6 that once you fall, you can't return?
                          This is not what Hebrews 6:4-6 teaches.

While I do not pretend to unravel the Mark 9:50 analogy what it teaches is pretty clearly a call to live like Christians.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

No.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I think Mark has combined a number of sayings involving salt, and this has confused things. Papias implied that Mark wasn't in order, so even some early Christians understood this.

Most likely the first half of 9:50 is the same saying as Mat 5:13.

The second half of 9:50 may have had a different context, though they're not inconsistent. One commentary (Collins and Attridge) quotes a passage from Ignatius as giving the sense of the image:

"Put aside then the evil leaven, which has grown old and sour, and turn to the new leaven, which is Jesus Christ. Be salted in him, that none among you may be corrupted, since by your savour you shall be tested"

The commentary explains: "“Have salt within yourselves” in Mark may be read as a metaphor for protecting oneself against corruption, for avoiding the kinds of sins and occasions of sin treated in vv. 42–48*. Only in this way can one avoid being consumed by the testing fire of v. 49* or eternally punished by the fire of vv. 43–48*."
                              Last edited by hedrick; 10-22-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment