Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George Bush view of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Bush view of Trump

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/bush-freedom-event/index.html

George W. Bush: Bigotry and white supremacy are 'blasphemy' against the American creed

Washington (CNN)Former President George W. Bush condemned bigotry and white supremacy Thursday while endorsing policies that run counter to those supported by President Donald Trump.

"Our identity as a nation, unlike other nations, is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. ... This means that people from every race, religion, ethnicity can be full and equally American," he said during remarks at the George W. Bush Institute in New York City. "It means that bigotry and white supremacy, in any form, is blasphemy against the American creed."
    He added that "bigotry seems emboldened," though he didn't explain why.
    "We've seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty," Bush said, adding, "Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions, forgetting the image of God we should see in each other."
    Bush didn't mention Trump during his remarks but did criticize the "governing class." In his recommendations to strengthen American democracy, he said US institutions must "step up" and "we need to recall and recover our own identity."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

What frank-n-beans says:

"George Bush view of Trump"

What his source says:

"Bush didn't mention Trump during his remarks..."

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Meanwhile, three things:

A) Hillary is not POTUS
      2) SCOTUS doesn't have a Hillary nominee
      iii) Bacon

but not in that order
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most of that quote already has been said before by Trump. I think Bush should have more clearly emphasized his own strong agreement with Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

George W. Bush: Bigotry and white supremacy are 'blasphemy' against the American creed

Washington (CNN)Former President George W. Bush condemned bigotry and white supremacy Thursday while endorsing policies that run counter to those supported by President Donald Trump.

"Our identity as a nation, unlike other nations, is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. ... This means that people from every race, religion, ethnicity can be full and equally American," he said during remarks at the George W. Bush Institute in New York City. "It means that bigotry and white supremacy, in any form, is blasphemy against the American creed."
          "We've seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty," Bush said, adding, "Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions, forgetting the image of God we should see in each other."
          Bush didn't mention Trump during his remarks but did criticize the "governing class." In his recommendations to strengthen American democracy, he said US institutions must "step up" and "we need to recall and recover our own identity."

I kinda thought that the Bush family was part of the "governing class."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An article I was reading yesterday suggested that as soon as the GOP establishment get their greedy hands on the promised tax cut they are going to abandon The Donald en masse. Almost to a man, they have the ethical standards of a sewer rat.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              An article I was reading yesterday suggested that as soon as the GOP establishment get their greedy hands on the promised tax cut they are going to abandon The Donald en masse. Almost to a man, they have the ethical standards of a sewer rat.
              Yeah, they're getting just as bad as the Democrats!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

...the GOP establishment [has] the ethical standards of a sewer rat.
                We know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, they're getting just as bad as the Democrats!
                  A few highlights:

One of the most curious storylines in Season One of The President Trump Show is that so many Washington Republicans, inside and outside Congress, are still on board, publicly at least, with a president they clearly denigrate and despise.

There’s a good reason for this—and it’s not that they are gutless wonders, though some undoubtedly are. Trump still has one crucial final task before he can be thrown to the wolves: He must sign a tax reform bill. After that, the wolves can have their quarry.

Think stopping a president allegedly hurtling us toward World War III might just be a little more important than passing another round of tax cuts? Well, then you don’t understand the Republican Party, or at least what’s left of it. Today’s GOP is a soulless, brainless beast, a zombie from the Reagan years, when it had its last fresh idea. Since then, the party faithful have defined their priorities around whatever their current leader, interest groups and sympathetic news outlets say they are.

Once signed into law, the Republican tax cut plan will give billions of dollars back to nearly every member and supporter of the GOP establishment. To D.C. Republicans, that’s well worth enduring a crazy tweet every now and again, or mouthing support for a wall that will never be built, or nodding agreement about a trade war that will never come to pass, or even standing witness to scary games of one-upmanship with crazy dictators. That’s why every corporate special interest in Washington, every lobbyist and nearly every consultant is holding their fire, and their breath, in the era of Trump. They want to get their piece of the tax cut pie, and getting in fights with the president would only be a harmful distraction.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I agree, the Republican professional politicians are ALMOST as bad as the Democrats.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      I agree, the Republican professional politicians are ALMOST as bad as the Democrats.
                      Neither compare with Trump’s disapproval rating...either nationally or internationally.

Trump’s approval rating in the US is just 38% on day 261 in office. No US president has been as unpopular at this stage of the presidency. Gallup.

And internationally “U.S. Image Suffers as Publics around World Question Trump’s Leadership.”

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/...ps-leadership/
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You need to be more skeptical. Not only has recent history proven that polls can't be trusted, but I don't think any US president in history has faced such a concerted effort from the media and other liberals to drag his approval ratings down. If you look past the polls and talking heads, you'll see that Trump is actually doing a pretty damn good job, all things considered. I don't like everything about him, but he's certainly not the disaster that Obama was, or that Hillary would have been

Comment

so shunya, You are apparently contrasting Bush to Trump. Where has Trump said anything contrary to your quote of Bush above? Please provide citations.

as far as bigotry being emboldened, look no further than the BLM or Antifa.

Comment

It’s depressing that I look back on the Bush/Cheney presidency with comparative fondness now. What a low bar. *sigh*

Comment

It could be worse.

We could have had Hillary as president.

Comment