Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it matter . . . ?

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What does it matter . . . ?

What does it matter if what you do not believe happens to be true over against what you actually believe happens not to be true?
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    What does it matter if what you do not believe happens to be true over against what you actually believe happens not to be true?
    Confusing questions to begin with,and need clarification. As far as I can see from the questions there is not difference. Truth is indeed a problematic claim.

The truth of 'belief' and whether it is true or not remains a subjective issue without objective evidence.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Confusing questions to begin with,and need clarification. As far as I can see from the questions there is not difference. Truth is indeed a problematic claim.

The truth of 'belief' and whether it is true or not remains a subjective issue without objective evidence.
    The question. What you do not believe to be true is what is actually true, and what you believe to be true is actually false, what does it matter?
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The question. What you do not believe to be true is what is actually true, and what you believe to be true is actually false, what does it matter?
    It is not clear what is the point here. The two questions are equivalent.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is not clear what is the point here. The two questions are equivalent.
    Ok, forget the second part of the question.

What does it matter, if you do not believe something that is true? (Of course this is going to depend on what is not believed.)

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, forget the second part of the question.

What does it matter, if you do not believe something that is true? (Of course this is going to depend on what is not believed.)
    If it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    If it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter.
    I never said it does not matter. I ask the question, what does it matter if you do not believe something thst is true?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I never said it does not matter. I ask the question, what does it matter if you do not believe something thst is true?
    And I answered you. It doesn't matter, unless it does, to you. Does it matter to you if you believe something which isn't true?

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    And I answered you. It doesn't matter, unless it does, to you.
    Why should it matter to you if you do not believe in anything regardless if it is true or not? And why should anyone believe anything if it did not matter even if it were true?

Does it matter to you if you believe something which isn't true?
    Yes. Why believe anything which is not true? Now the question is, what does it matter if one does not believe something which happens to be true? And why should anyone believe anything if it did not matter even if it were true?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why should it matter to you if you do not believe in anything regardless if it is true or not? And why should anyone believe anything if it did not matter even if it were true?

Yes. Why believe anything which is not true? Now the question is, what does it matter if one does not believe something which happens to be true? And why should anyone believe anything if it did not matter even if it were true?
    The question comes down to how you are using 'true' or 'truth.' Different religions claim their beliefs are to a certain degree 'true' and there is consequences for not believing them. The problem is there are diverse and conflicting claims for what is 'true' and how 'truth' is defined. The diverse conflicting claims and the consequences of the different religions remains anecdotal and subjective. What standard would you propose that one religion or belief system is true, and the consequences of not believing it is true over the many diverse conflicting other belief systems.

Is there any reason to believe objectively that any one of these diverse and conflicting claims 'truths' and the consequences of not believing is 'true,' No.

One the other hand concerning the the objective verifiable knowledge of science, which is consistent and predictable, there are consequences of rejecting the knowledge of science.

Frank

11. Amen JimL amen'd this post.