Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What does it matter . . . ?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Not “scientism”, scientific method...there’s a difference. Yes metaphysics “uses a methodology that differs from the hard sciences”. The scientific method can establish a verifiable true premise for deductive augments and consequently arrive at a verifiable true conclusion. OTOH metaphysics must make do with a premise based on an unverifiable axiom which may or may not be true, hence the conclusion cannot be shown to be true. It may be true but cannot be shown to be true.
    Nope. Wrong again. What are the methodologies of metaphysicians? Do you even know? Waiting . . .

Please explain how “Metaphysics does have the means to establish a true premise”, i.e. a verifiable true premise, not an axiom that’s just assumed to be self-evident or true.
    I will. Right after you admit that you have no idea what methodologies metaphysicians use to establish true premises, verifiable or otherwise.

This is where your little syllogism falls down. Because, as I'm sure you know, "A deductive argument is sound if and only if it is both valid, and all of its premises are actually true. Otherwise, a deductive argument is unsound.
    Thanks for the logic lesson. I teach it for a living so thanks for that time-waster. Metaphysics can construct sound arguments using their own methodologies without it being necessary to visit the scientistic premise-factory.
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post

Metaphysics can construct sound arguments using their own methodologies without it being necessary to visit the scientistic premise-factory.
    So you keep saying. I don't believe you.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So you keep saying. I don't believe you.
    I don't give two craps.

Are you going to answer my question or just stall some more?
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    I don't give two craps.

Are you going to answer my question or just stall some more?
    I’m calling you out on your claim that metaphysics can construct sound arguments using their own methodologies. Whilst a metaphysical argument can be a perfectly ‘valid’ deductive argument from its axiomatic premise, it cannot be a ‘sound’ argument because it has no way of showing that its premise (and therefore its conclusion) is true.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

5. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I’m calling you out on your claim that metaphysics can construct sound arguments using their own methodologies.
    You can call me out until the cows come home. Ain't gonna happen until you answer my question, dodge-master!

Whilst a metaphysical argument can be a perfectly ‘valid’ deductive argument from its axiomatic premise, it cannot be a ‘sound’ argument because it has no way of showing that its premise (and therefore its conclusion) is true.
    Nope. The arrows accumulating around the target is looking pretty embarrassing.

P.S. Can we deactivate Shunya's 'amen' function due to cognitive malfeasance? Or, maybe Tass Guy the Scientism Guy needs his solitary cheerleader.
    George Horne