Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you Currently Playing? (TTRPG Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you Currently Playing? (TTRPG Edition)

So... To keep this section from becoming obsolete...

What kind of Table-Top Role Playing Games are you Playing and/or Running as of late? Whether it be a Play-by-Post elsewhere, or via a Virtual Tabletop game like Roll20 (where all my gaming takes place as of recently).

Right now, I'm a player in two Campaigns:

"Borderlands: Vaultocalypse Soon!" - Yeah, this one is based on the Borderlands games and it takes place on a Prison Planet. Fun times. We're using Savage Worlds as a basis (as, unfortunately, the other system we were using took a lot of the GM)

"Cyborgs and Cuadrilateros" - This one is a genre mashup between, "Cyberpunk," and "Luchasploitation." Basically, it's Blade Runner... with Masked Mexican Wrestlers. This one is also using Savage Worlds.

I'm also a GM in three games:

"Strike Force Nova" - this is a Mecha vs Kaiju game. Basically, you whup the tar out of giant monsters with giant robots. I'm using Fate Core, a more narrative-focused system, for this game. Mostly because crunchier systems are a nightmare for high-powered stuff like this.

"Deadlands: Doom in Gloom" - I decided to try my hand at a Deadlands game, using their Savage Worlds variant (dubbed, "Deadlands: Reloaded"). Deadlands is basically if The Wild Wild West took place in a more Horror-based world (though, some of those episodes really did have a Horror slant to them)

"Drakonheim: City of Bones" - This one takes place in a City where Necromancers are allowed to operate openly... and boy howdy, has it caused tension. It's a darker fantasy setting, and (surprise, surprise) I'm using Savage Worlds for this game.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

I did play a game of 40k once. Interesting stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

Sadly, nothing at the moment. I've got some work to finish - and some major RL stuff to get handled - then I want to see about getting a group together. I'm close enough to old friends that we might can do something.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Sadly, nothing at the moment. I've got some work to finish - and some major RL stuff to get handled - then I want to see about getting a group together. I'm close enough to old friends that we might can do something.
        That's always groovy. I kinda wouldn't mind getting a physical group together... but things just haven't worked out (which is why I'm glad I found Roll20)

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        I did play a game of 40k once. Interesting stuff.
        FOR THE EMPRAH!!!

I know some folks who aren't real keen on the wargaming aspect... but they're HUGE fans of Warhammer 40k's Grimdark Sci-Fi setting and it's Lore.

Comment

Welp, the Deadlands: Reloaded game I'm running ended with what could be described as a, "Blaze of Glory/Total Party Kill." The last man standing ultimately self-destructed all the Ghost Rock-Powered devices on him which- in tandem with all the dynamite the posse was carrying- blew EVERYTHING to smithereens.

Comment

So, my Mecha vs Kaiju game ended on a REALLY depressing note. One of the PCs heroically sacrificed himself to take down the monster, and the still-alive allies each have their own problems to deal with (one is considered MIA, the other has her paranoia cranked up to 11 and burned all her bridges, and the rookie pilot has a case of PTSD).

On a different note, my next Monday game is a High Fantasy Police Procedural. Basically, CSI meets stuff like D&D. I'm using Savage Worlds for it... because at this point, Savage Worlds is my jam and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Comment

Been a while since I updated this thread... I'm in a LOT of games right now.

Monday, I'm still running my High Fantasy Police Procedural. Next Monday game I'm running is called, "Doomsdays & Deathraces," and it'll be using the most recent edition of Savage Worlds (abbreviated SWADE for, "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition.") and all my players are stoked for it. It's basically a High Fantasy Mad Max.

Tuesday, I'm in a Pathfinder game focused on Politics and Intrigue. I'm playing a Catfolk Investigator... and every time I've missed a session something horrible has happened (last time? The moon got deleted).

Wednesday, I'm in a Mutants and Masterminds 3e game. It's a Supervillain Academy game, and I have to say... it's gotten crazy.

Fridays, I'm in two games... one is a playtest (can't say much due to a Non-Disclosure Agreement), and the other I'm GMing Savage RIFTs (basically, an over-the-top Post-Apocalyptic setting that involves everything and the kitchen sink... but with a system that's ACTUALLY playable compared to Palladium's proprietary nightmare).

I kinda want to run Deadlands: Lost Colony now that I have the PDF from a recent Kickstarter, but I'm doing a lot as-is.

Comment

I'm playing in two games - one I can't remember the name of offhand and a 9th level DND campaign. I just started running a first lvl DND campaign as filler when the other DM's aren't running.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm playing in two games - one I can't remember the name of offhand and a 9th level DND campaign. I just started running a first lvl DND campaign as filler when the other DM's aren't running.
                  Which Editions? 3.5e, or do they use the new 5th Edition?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Monday, I'm still running my High Fantasy Police Procedural. Next Monday game I'm running is called, "Doomsdays & Deathraces," and it'll be using the most recent edition of Savage Worlds (abbreviated SWADE for, "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition.") and all my players are stoked for it. It's basically a High Fantasy Mad Max.
                    So, we just wrapped this campaign up the other day. Ended on a massive high note... and I'm saying that the guy whose Villainous Dragon got OWNED by a teenage girl wielding bear mace.

Comment

Which Editions? 3.5e, or do they use the new 5th Edition?
                      Sorry, missed this. We're using 5th. I bought the Players - gotta say, I'm liking 5th so far.

I've started constructing a real campaign world. Kind of a post-Medieval world where civilization is beginning to look civilized and adventuring for fun and profit is on the wane.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sorry, missed this. We're using 5th. I bought the Players - gotta say, I'm liking 5th so far.
                        5e, eh? I really don't LOVE IT or HATE IT like some folks do, but I won't turn down a game someone's running just because it's 5th Edition.

I've started constructing a real campaign world. Kind of a post-Medieval world where civilization is beginning to look civilized and adventuring for fun and profit is on the wane.
                        Cool!

... Meanwhile, I'm statting up tonnes of NPCs for my Doomsdays & Death Races game and finishing up some homebrew before the campaign starts in two weeks. I'm glad Savage Worlds is so easy to work with, otherwise I wouldn't be making this as Sandboxy as I am.

Comment

5e, eh? I really don't LOVE IT or HATE IT like some folks do, but I won't turn down a game someone's running just because it's 5th Edition.
                          It's not awesome - still has some of the stuff I don't really like like challenge rankings but there aren't any really nasty spots so far. I thought I'd hate the spell section but it is actually an improvement on the old organization by class.

Originally posted by CV

... Meanwhile, I'm statting up tonnes of NPCs for my Doomsdays & Death Races game and finishing up some homebrew before the campaign starts in two weeks. I'm glad Savage Worlds is so easy to work with, otherwise I wouldn't be making this as Sandboxy as I am.
                          Yeah, I'd forgotten how much of a pain prepping NPCs can be. Right now I'm more focused on having encounters prepped - 1st level needs xp more than anything but they also need a good learning environment both to master the system, and role playing. We have three relative novices... And it sounds like you need more cannon fodder than I do.

Did get the new Monster Manual - DMG is gonna have to wait another month.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It's not awesome - still has some of the stuff I don't really like like challenge rankings but there aren't any really nasty spots so far. I thought I'd hate the spell section but it is actually an improvement on the old organization by class.
                            I've yet to play a Spellcaster in 5e. I think the last character I played was a Dragonborn Monk whose fighting style resembled dancing.

Yeah, I'd forgotten how much of a pain prepping NPCs can be. Right now I'm more focused on having encounters prepped - 1st level needs xp more than anything but they also need a good learning environment both to master the system, and role playing. We have three relative novices... And it sounds like you need more cannon fodder than I do.

Did get the new Monster Manual - DMG is gonna have to wait another month.
                            Savage Worlds does, "Level-Ups" differently in the form of "Advances" and "Rank". In the newest Edition, the GM awards Advances based on adventures completed (or about 2-3 Sessions on average), and every four Advances means you go up a Rank (Novice -> Seasoned -> Veteran -> Heroic -> Legendary), which opens up more options for Edges (their term for Feats) and- if Arcane Backgrounds are allowed- new Powers the PCs can take.

... and I don't want to put TOO much cannon fodder in the way. As they say, "Savage Worlds Happens"... All it takes is a lucky villager with a pitchfork and a very unlucky player to require someone to Roll up a new Character. Besides, it's more fun to watch players dig their own graves with dumb in-character decisions.

Comment

So, I may or may not have been roped into running Deadlands Noir on Saturday evenings. The Sunday GM vanished for almost a month after Session 0, so I was asked if I'd be interested in running on a day I was able to.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X