Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Armageddon (ecological)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armageddon (ecological)

Christians look forward to the apocalypse and the second coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Here it comes. Is this what you were expecting?
    The abundance of flying insects has plunged by three-quarters over the past 25 years, according to a new study that has shocked scientists.

Insects are an integral part of life on Earth as both pollinators and prey for other wildlife and it was known that some species such as butterflies were declining. But he newly revealed scale of the losses to all insects has prompted warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society.

The new data was gathered in nature reserves across Germany but has implications for all landscapes dominated by agriculture, the researchers said.

The cause of the huge decline is as yet unclear, although the destruction of wild areas and widespread use of pesticides are the most likely factors and climate change may play a role. The scientists were able to rule out weather and changes to landscape in the reserves as causes, but data on pesticide levels has not been collected.

“The fact that the number of flying insects is decreasing at such a high rate in such a large area is an alarming discovery,” said Hans de Kroon, at Radboud University in the Netherlands and who led the new research.

“Insects make up about two-thirds of all life on Earth [but] there has been some kind of horrific decline,” said Prof Dave Goulson of Sussex University, UK, and part of the team behind the new study. “We appear to be making vast tracts of land inhospitable to most forms of life, and are currently on course for ecological Armageddon. If we lose the insects then everything is going to collapse.”
    This is the end, beautiful friend
    This is the end, my only friend, the end
    Of our elaborate plans, the end
    Of everything that stands, the end
    No safety or surprise, the end
    I'll never look into your eyes, again
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

This looks suspiciously like painting with an overly broad brush from a carefully selected data set in order to foment ecological hysteria, which is nothing new.

And, as usual, people use apocalyptic language without understanding it. Armageddon refers to the site of a battle at the end of the world, not the end of the world itself.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Christians look forward to the apocalypse ...
      Since you started off with a false premise, the rest of your post is negated.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Since you started off with a false premise, the rest of your post is negated.
        Well, let’s suppose that that was your last warning and the last chance you had to change your ways. You and OBP both missed it.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Well, let’s suppose that that was your last warning and the last chance you had to change your ways. You and OBP both missed it.
          OK, so if BOTH of us "missed it", maybe communication problem is the sender rather than the receiver. Still, you began with a false premise. How bout trying again?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

HOLD THE BUS!!!!!

I REALLY missed this part.....

...The scientists were able to rule out weather...

BLASPHEMY of BLASPHEMIES!!!!

Comment

Is that what you think Armageddon is, a last chance to change one's ways?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sky is falling! Sky is falling!!!!!

our Lord, Jesus Christ.
                Did you convert?????

Here it comes
                When end comes, progs like you will be so shocked, also pissing pants!
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

Did you convert?????
                  Not sky is falling so much as sky is empty (of insects … and birds …. and finally aeroplanes) I was just using the local vernacular. Not claiming ownership. I should be more careful.

What we notice is that the end (the build-up has already started) is going to hit you from a surprising direction and you are not prepared for it. It's worse; you are preparing for the very thing that is guaranteed not to happen. When it really counts it turns out that you are dead wood.

Repent, before it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    OK, so if BOTH of us "missed it", maybe communication problem is the sender rather than the receiver. Still, you began with a false premise. How bout trying again?
                    This is about the surprising decline in the density of flying insects. If the insects go, so does everything else – and this scenario was called “ecological Armageddon”. It has the potential to be a real end-of-times.

I wondered what a Christian would think about it.

Your new avatar – is that you? – are you facing towards or away from the cross?

Comment

Repent, before it is too late.
                      Repent of what? Insect spray????

What we notice is that the end (the build-up has already started) is going to hit you from a surprising direction and you are not prepared for it. It's worse; you are preparing for the very thing that is guaranteed not to happen. When it really counts it turns out that you are dead wood..
                      No need to preach to choir, christians all looking forward to Armageddon!!!

You godless heathen, repent!!!
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

This is about the surprising decline in the density of flying insects. If the insects go, so does everything else – and this scenario was called “ecological Armageddon”. It has the potential to be a real end-of-times.
                        There's always a threat. When I was a kid, it was "the coming ice age", overpopulation, then AIDS, Nuclear Winter, Global Warming, "Climate Change", rising seas, the China Syndrome, the "Missiles of October"..... there's always something cataclysmic on the horizon that's about to wipe us out.

I wondered what a Christian would think about it.
                        I'm ready to be with my Lord however and whenever that happens.

Your new avatar – is that you? – are you facing towards or away from the cross?
                        Naw, just a cool pic I found on the internetzweb.

Comment

There seems to be an epidemic of liberals that is going to wipe us all out.

and FF - how about a link to your material? I didn't see a link in your OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            That's actually documented here...

Warmer Fall Months Leading To Increase In Stink Bug Population

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

and FF - how about a link to your material? I didn't see a link in your OP.
                              The story appears in several newspapers and journals. a couple here:
                              https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-04774-7
                              https://phys.org/news/2017-10-three-...tion-lost.html
                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.670d9bece1f6

Comment