Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Victim Blaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim Blaming

I ride a unicycle (yes, there's a point to this).

A month or so ago, I left my unicycle outside for a couple nights. It was in my front yard and under the awning, but not fenced in or anything. I got home from work one day and noticed that it was gone. I'm not particularly irritated about it being stolen, mostly because (in my mind) I shouldn't have been an idiot and left my unicycle outside like that.

Am I victim blaming?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

A month or so ago, I left my unicycle outside for a couple nights. It was in my front yard and under the awning, but not fenced in or anything. I got home from work one day and noticed that it was gone. I'm not particularly irritated about it being stolen, mostly because (in my mind) I shouldn't have been an idiot and left my unicycle outside like that.

Am I victim blaming?
    The fact that you are grown man riding a unicycle makes me wonder. I think God did you a favor and had it stolen!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You know perfectly well that the only person who would steal a unicycle would be a clown. So you only blaming yourself as a form of virtue signalling to avoid looking like a clown-hating racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You know perfectly well that the only person who would steal a unicycle would be a clown. So you only blaming yourself as a form of virtue signalling to avoid looking like a clown-hating racist.
        All this time I've been thinking that I'm a victim of theft, but maybe I should just be grateful that I can contribute to social justice via redistribution like that.

Anyway, it was actually a serious question. Y'all doubting my serious now?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The fact that you are grown man riding a unicycle makes me wonder. I think God did you a favor and had it stolen!
          Riding a unicycle is that one thing that makes one look completely ridiculous, but simultaneously makes one the object of envy because it's very difficult to do and everyone who's laughing knows they can't do it.

Comment

All this time I've been thinking that I'm a victim of theft, but maybe I should just be grateful that I can contribute to social justice via redistribution like that.

Anyway, it was actually a serious question. Y'all doubting my serious now?
            The zym who cried wolf.

sad, so sad.

Comment

Yes.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Riding a unicycle is that one thing that makes one look completely ridiculous, but simultaneously makes one the object of envy because it's very difficult to do and everyone who's laughing knows they can't do it.
                I tend to look at folks riding a unicycle and wonder "they wasted how much of their lives mastering that?"

Of course if the person is a clown then I figure it's just part of the job and feel a little sorry for him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I tend to look at folks riding a unicycle and wonder "they wasted how much of their lives mastering that?"

Of course if the person is a clown then I figure it's just part of the job and feel a little sorry for him.

Comment

Maybe I should phrase the question differently:

Was it unwise of me to leave my unicycle out overnight? Saying something like, "Hey Zym, maybe don't leave stuff outside for like three days next time" doesn't change the fact that I'm the victim of theft, but is it victim blaming to say that to me? Or, is it victim blaming to point to unwise behavior that subsequently increased one's risk of being a victim of a crime (however trivial)?

Comment

Maybe I should phrase the question differently:

Was it unwise of me to leave my unicycle out overnight? Saying something like, "Hey Zym, maybe don't leave stuff outside for like three days next time" doesn't change the fact that I'm the victim of theft, but is it victim blaming to say that to me? Or, is it victim blaming to point to unwise behavior that increased one's risk of being a victim of a crime (however trivial)?
                      Probably not because the number of people who could actually ride off with it are very low.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Am I victim blaming?

This is about me, isn't it?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

bacon

Stop whining. It isn't like I didn't give y'all a chance to win the thread before now.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Probably not because the number of people who could actually ride off with it are very low.
                            It may have been somebody who always wanted to try to learn to ride one, and they carried it off....

Be watching in your (Zim's) neighborhood for people limping, or having difficulty sitting, or wearing knee or elbow pads or on crutches....
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It may have been somebody who always wanted to try to learn to ride one, and they carried it off....

Be watching in your (Zim's) neighborhood for people limping, or having difficulty sitting, or wearing knee or elbow pads or on crutches....
                              Or missing a couple front teeth

Comment