Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Genesis 2:2 He rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Some of Matthew's record can logically be considered myth or hyperbole to be sure, but given that I have yet to find one scholar who disallows all miracle accounts and hasn't also given a mistaken exposition of one elementary statement of scripture or another, I consider such scholars to be somewhat unreliable.
    It tends to be only the apologist scholars that accept miracles at face value. Most historians utilise the standard tool of historians, namely the historical-critical method, because in the realm of history there are only judgements of probability, varying from the highest to the lowest degree. Consequently an estimate must be made of the degree of probability attaching to any tradition or historical claim. And, for the likes of Bart Ehrman, the least probable explanations of an alleged event is likely to be a miracle...any natural explanation is more probable.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      It tends to be only the apologist scholars that accept miracles at face value. Most historians utilise the standard tool of historians, namely the historical-critical method, because in the realm of history there are only judgements of probability, varying from the highest to the lowest degree. Consequently an estimate must be made of the degree of probability attaching to any tradition or historical claim. And, for the likes of Bart Ehrman, the least probable explanations of an alleged event is likely to be a miracle...any natural explanation is more probable.
      I would have to agree that a miracle is the least likely of all possible explanations - that is inextricably a part of and inherent to the definition of a miracle.
      Predetermining that there was no occurrence of a miracle, however, flies in the face of the principles of scientific enquiry.
      Claim: Jesus and Peter walked on water.
      Predetermined response: No one can walk on water, therefore, it did not happen.
      Scientific enquiry: What would make that possible? Let's investigate.

As far as Bart Ehrman is concerned:
      … when Mark says that Jesus was crucified the day after the Passover meal was eaten (Mark 14:12; 15:25) and John says he died the day before it was eaten (John 19:14) = maybe that is a genuine difference. {Misquoting Jesus, Harper Collins, 2005, p 10}

Well - he at least got the record of John right, and there are plenty of (more respected) authors who get that bit wrong. But Mark 14:12 shows the day as the one when the Passover is sacrificed, not the first of the Passover Sabbaths (which falls on the following day) Mark 15:25 shows the hour that Jesus was crucified, but not the day. Nothing in the entire paragraph identifies the actual day. However, Mark 15:42 declares the day that Jesus was placed in the tomb as the day of preparation ... So (according to Ehrman's assessment of Mark's record) the dead Jesus was entombed two days before he was crucified.

In sum: Ehrman demonstrates my comment about people who reject any possibility of the miracle accounts being valid, as customarily being unable to validly parse elementary scriptural accounts.
      Last edited by tabibito; 11-27-2017, 02:04 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I would have to agree that a miracle is the least likely of all possible explanations - that is inextricably a part of and inherent to the definition of a miracle.
        I disagree. I think the rarity and low probability of any sort of event being a miracle and not a natural explanation is incidental, not inherent.

Comment

Predetermining that there was no occurrence of a miracle, however, flies in the face of the principles of scientific enquiry.
          That’s not the argument.

Claim: Jesus and Peter walked on water.
          Predetermined response: No one can walk on water, therefore, it did not happen.
          Scientific enquiry: What would make that possible? Let's investigate.
          That’s not the response of an historian employing historical-critical methodology. It is that the appearance of Jesus seemingly walking on the water most probably has a natural explanation. After all, in real life our automatic response when something bizarre happens is not “it must be a miracle”, we search for a natural explanation. OTOH, in the more credulous, prescientific society of 2,000 years ago a “miracle” would be an acceptable explanation. "Miracles" happened all the time.

As far as Bart Ehrman is concerned:
          … when Mark says that Jesus was crucified the day after the Passover meal was eaten (Mark 14:12; 15:25) and John says he died the day before it was eaten (John 19:14) = maybe that is a genuine difference. {Misquoting Jesus, Harper Collins, 2005, p 10}

Well - he at least got the record of John right, and there are plenty of (more respected) authors who get that bit wrong. But Mark 14:12 shows the day as the one when the Passover is sacrificed, not the first of the Passover Sabbaths (which falls on the following day) Mark 15:25 shows the hour that Jesus was crucified, but not the day. Nothing in the entire paragraph identifies the actual day. However, Mark 15:42 declares the day that Jesus was placed in the tomb as the day of preparation ... So (according to Ehrman's assessment of Mark's record) the dead Jesus was entombed two days before he was crucified.

In sum: Ehrman demonstrates my comment about people who reject any possibility of the miracle accounts being valid, as customarily being unable to validly parse elementary scriptural accounts.
          Again, the likes of Ehrman do not reject the possibility of miraculous events; merely that they are the least probable explanation...any natural explanation, no matter how outlandish, is more probable that positing a miracle as the explanation..
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Hey psstein, only christian biblical scholars believe the bible to be reliable history. Apparently you believe that all biblical scholars are christian. Try Prof. Francesca Stavrakopoulou.
            I have no idea where you got the notion that psstein believes that all biblical scholars are christian; you certainly did not get it from the content of his posts. This appears to be an attempt to deflect from the fact that you have no answer to his question.

If you're reduced to immolating strawmen, you've lost.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I have no idea where you got the notion that psstein believes that all biblical scholars are christian; you certainly did not get it from the content of his posts. This appears to be an attempt to deflect from the fact that you have no answer to his question.

I've already answered his question twice, Prof. Francesca Stavrakopoulou is right in the post of mine you're responding to.

Comment

I've already answered his question twice, Prof. Francesca Stavrakopoulou is right in the post of mine you're responding to.
                What question do you think she answers?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hey psstein, only christian biblical scholars believe the bible to be reliable history. Apparently you believe that all biblical scholars are christian. Try Prof. Francesca Stavrakopoulou.
                  Seeing as how Geza Vermes and Paula Fredrikson are Jewish and Maurice Casey was an agnostic, I clearly know that not all Biblical scholars are Christian. And, the vast majority of those who are Christian tend to profess a more liberal faith (I can provide multiple examples).

I don't think the entirety of the Bible is reliable history in terms of being a blow by blow, accurate account of all that happened. Nobody really believes that outside of extreme fundamentalists.

Comment

Seeing as how I actually am a historian, I can tell you that this is not universally true. There are some highly respected historians who believe that one cannot adjudicate positively or negatively on whether or not a miracle occurred, only that it was reported. This is the view that I follow as well.

In terms of history as probability, that is more or less correct, though there are quite a few who doubt the usefulness of that method.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

To reiterate, I certainly don't believe that all Biblical scholars are Christian, seeing as how I came very close to a career in NT (I gave up on it for a number of reasons, one of which is that the field is an absolute disaster as it currently stands).

Comment

Some of Matthew's record can logically be considered myth or hyperbole to be sure, but given that I have yet to find one scholar who disallows all miracle accounts and hasn't also given a mistaken exposition of one elementary statement of scripture or another, I consider such scholars to be somewhat unreliable.
                        It depends on what you mean by "miracle account." In current NT scholarship, there's little debate that Jesus performed healings and exorcisms that were interpreted as miracles.

In terms of the nature miracles and the like, that's a different story.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                          Seeing as how I actually am a historian, I can tell you that this is not universally true. There are some highly respected historians who believe that one cannot adjudicate positively or negatively on whether or not a miracle occurred, only that it was reported. This is the view that I follow as well.
                          I’m not disagreeing. I’m just saying that historical-critical methodology will view “a miracle” as the least probable explanation of an unusual or bizarre event. This is especially the case when they emanate from a pre-scientific, more credulous era and there are no first-hand accounts of them...as per the biblical miracles.

In terms of history as probability, that is more or less correct, though there are quite a few who doubt the usefulness of that method.
                          There's no viable alternative method.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            To reiterate, I certainly don't believe that all Biblical scholars are Christian, seeing as how I came very close to a career in NT (I gave up on it for a number of reasons, one of which is that the field is an absolute disaster as it currently stands).
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I wish I could say that my current field is any better. The issue with history is that far too much of the field never leaves its own disciplinary and political echo chamber. I specialize in history of science, myself. There's been a lot of trash (and I mean a lot) published since the mid-1990s.

With Biblical studies more generally, the issue is that, while OT has really shifted towards questions of history and archaeology, NT has developed in a way where Jesus and Paul can be reinterpreted to fit any theological scheme you like. Recently, there was an article in a good journal (don't remember which one) about reading John's Jesus as a "queer black woman." I have my own qualms with conservative evangelical scholarship, but conservative evangelicals represent a good portion of NT scholars asking even remotely interesting questions.

Comment

It does, in fact. Science tells us that Adam and Eve are fictions; the considerable evidence renders this beyond doubt. That Paul or Jesus thought otherwise is irrelevant. They were wrong. This is not to say that they were stupid or careless. Two thousand years ago, for a Jew to believe in Adam and Eve made sense. But time moves on and our knowledge grows and our understanding of the world evolves.
                                Science tells us nothing that actually refutes the direct creation of man and woman by God. What fact of science disallows that event?
                                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment