Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Genesis 2:2 He rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    If that is how you what to make it out to be.

But as I perceive the account. The beginning of the heaven(s) was about 13.8 billion years ago and the solar system before its Sun gave its light some 4.5 billion years ago. The first earth day the Sun lit up the sky. The 4th earth day the debris was blown past the earth to allow the Sun, Moon and stars to be visible as lights in the sky. The 6th day God made man and woman in the garden (Genesis 2:5-25).
    Thats not just the way I perceive it, thats the way it actually is. The first human being didn't exist until some 2.5 million years ago, thats basically 14 billion years after the beginning of the creation (if you want to call it that) process. In other words, we humans just got here! In order to fit that to the biblical account of creation, then each 1 of the biblical 6 days of creation had to have equaled approximately 666,666,667 earth days, you know, wherein evening comes and morning follows for each day.
    What could "evening" and "morning" even mean under those circumstances?
    Last edited by JimL; 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      There are Christians that hold what is called the gap theory. The original creation (Genesis 1.1). That the "was" should be translated "became without form . . ." (v.2). What was destroyed accounts for the geological ages . And Genesis 1:3-. . . on was a recreation.

I do not hold that view. I did hold the day age view as a new Christian with the understanding that whole week was also called a day Genesis 2:4.

I now hold the view that Genesis 1:1-2 represents the origin of the universe and state of the earth before the 6 earth day creation.
      There is no credible evidence to suggest that the Genesis narrative is anything more than a 'creation myth', one of thousands.

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths.html

Note that a “a supreme being appears in almost every myth. He or she is what triggers the train of events that create the world”. Genesis is no different, why would you think it was?
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        There is no credible evidence to suggest that the Genesis narrative is anything more than a 'creation myth', one of thousands.

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths.html

Note that a “a supreme being appears in almost every myth. He or she is what triggers the train of events that create the world”. Genesis is no different, why would you think it was?
        That pretty much every culture has one should perhaps clue you in to the idea that there's a grain of truth in all of them. It's been argued since the 4th century or so that the others are all distortions of the Biblical account.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          That pretty much every culture has one should perhaps clue you in to the idea that there's a grain of truth in all of them. It's been argued since the 4th century or so that the others are all distortions of the Biblical account.
          The only “grain of truth” is the desire of people to understand where the sun goes at night, not the myriad of fanciful solutions that ignorant people came up with in the pre-scientific era. The Genesis creation myth is no more likely to be true than any of the others. In fact we know it’s not.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It's been argued since the 4th century or so that the others are all distortions of the Biblical account.
            Argued by whom, and on the basis of what evidence?

Comment

Actually the NT biblical account is more of a distortion of the myths which long preceded it. Well, not really a distortion, but a weaving of the ideas therein into a history.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                Argued by whom, and on the basis of what evidence?
                The one that most comes to mind is Eusebius of Caesarea's Preparatio Evangelica, on the basis of similarity between some Greek philosophical thought (which he traces back to the Phoenecians) and the Hebrew scriptures, which are older. The work is mostly made of of selected quotes which Eusebius uses to prove his point.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Actually the NT biblical account is more of a distortion of the myths which long preceded it. Well, not really a distortion, but a weaving of the ideas therein into a history.
                  We're not talking about the NT - and your acceptance of the decidedly non-scholarly Christ-myth shows me how seriously I should take your assertions.

sigpic

Comment

We're not talking about the NT -
                    Ah right, Genesis. But of course it is a myth, just like the myths, it is wrong in every way. Its a story based on ignorance. For instance, there was no light separating the day from the night on the first day, because there was no sun until the 4th day. There is also no skydome that separates the waters above from the waters below. And vegitation could't have sprung up on the 3rd day since there was no sun until the 4th day. And you must take into consideration that 1 day in genesis had to have equaled approximately 666,666,667 regular earthly days. So vegitation can't exist for 1 biblical day, 666,666,667 earth days, without any sun. Thats what you call a myth, its basically a guess, an uneducated guess, concerning the origins of the universe, and the fact they they have a modicum of truth in them means nothing. The only truths in the myths are already known, it's from out of those truths, i.e. from out of the observed facts about the universe, that the myths are fashioned.
                    The NT though, is also myth, though its a myth woven into a history, or perhaps it is more apropo to say that it is a history woven into a myth.

and your acceptance of the decidedly non-scholarly Christ-myth shows me how seriously I should take your assertions.
                    Actually the Christ-myth is scholarly, where do you think it came from.

Comment

Yeah... in the 1800s you moron. Are suffering from massive head trauma or something?
                      My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Ah right, Genesis. But of course it is a myth, just like the myths, it is wrong in every way. Its a story based on ignorance. For instance, there was no light separating the day from the night on the first day, because there was no sun until the 4th day. There is also no skydome that separates the waters above from the waters below. And vegitation could't have sprung up on the 3rd day since there was no sun until the 4th day. And you must take into consideration that 1 day in genesis had to have equaled approximately 666,666,667 regular earthly days. So vegitation can't exist for 1 biblical day, 666,666,667 earth days, without any sun. Thats what you call a myth, its basically a guess, an uneducated guess, concerning the origins of the universe, and the fact they they have a modicum of truth in them means nothing. The only truths in the myths are already known, it's from out of those truths, i.e. from out of the observed facts about the universe, that the myths are fashioned.
                        The NT though, is also myth, though its a myth woven into a history, or perhaps it is more apropo to say that it is a history woven into a myth.
                        You're falling into the same mistake literalist YECs do here. The creation account is poetry, not a science lesson.
                        18th-century pseudo-scholars.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                          Yeah... in the 1800s you moron. Are suffering from massive head trauma or something?
                          No, he's being his usual JimL self.

sigpic

Comment

No, he's being his usual JimL self.
                            So, moron with massive head trauma then.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're falling into the same mistake literalist YECs do here. The creation account is poetry, not a science lesson.
                              So is the New Adam, who redeemed mankind from the consequences of the Old Adam’s disobedience, also just "poetry"?

Actually, the fourth-century commentary by African-born Italian bishop Fortunatianus of Aquileia interprets the Gospels as a series of allegories with Jesus as a mythical figure...instead of being a literal history. So it’s not a new phenomenon and it’s a perfectly valid position to take given the evidence...or lack thereof.

Comment

I see. So where would you say that the poetry in genesis ends and the history begins? Besides that, being poetic doesn't make it not a myth.
                                So say you. Anyway, regardless of whether it is poetry or prose, the fact remains that the beginning of the universe was 14 billion years ago, and it took all those 14 billion years to pass before humans began to exist. Even the dinasaurs ruled the earth for millions of years prior to the existence of humans. You don't find any of that odd considering God supposedly created it all for humans. 14 billion years!

Comment