Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morality or Obedience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    If a behavior doesn't effect others in an adverse way, then it has nothing to do with morality. Again, in my opinion morality has nothing to do with personal opinion, homosexual behavior good vs homosexual behavior bad, it has to do with the effects of behavior on society as a whole.
    But you are left with a metric you cannot assess - so you cannot arrive at moral norms individually OR collectively.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Hmm, more likely "you are rightly not able, or unwilling to answer, so pretend not to be able to apprehend.
      Do you even know the context for Babbage's quote? He had been asked a nonsense question.

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
      Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/c...babbage_141832
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Happiness is only one of many things we value that drive our moral codes - and it is not necessarily the most important. And since my position is that the individual's moral code has primacy, I am not locked to a social "best" that cannot be determined or quantified.
        You are just as wishy washy as JimL is. Your "moral code" is nothing but a subjective code that you think would be best. Just like JimL. JimL's standard is what he thinks is "best for society" but that is completely subjective. You have more nebulous standards that keep shifting the more I try to pin you down. First it was Happiness, then some "social contract" and now "one of many things that drive our moral codes" and you are "not locked into a social 'best'".

To me objective morals means that some action is morally good or bad intrinsically. It doesn't matter if society thinks it is good because one society might think it is good and another evil (homosexuality for instance, or abortion)

If the entire world thought that Arianism was great and getting rid of jews was good, and it made everyone happy (except for the jews) then according to your code, it would be objectively moral? Or are you just saying that objective morality is something that doesn't even exist?

Comment

There is no "objective moral truth" according to Carpe's criteria. That's the whole point. A subjective/relative framework cannot have an objective/universal outcome.
          Ah. then ignore my question above. I thought you were arguing that there is objective moral truth.

OK then, So you are a moral relativist.

If the whole world did believe in Arianism and went about destroying Jews and non-arians and everyone loved it and was happy, then you would indeed think that was morally good because it was good for that society.

And in the USA during the 1700's when slavery was prevalent in the south and Society thought it was perfectly moral to keep and use slaves, that was morally good too, because that society benefited from it and was happy and prospered.

Great criteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You are just as wishy washy as JimL is. Your "moral code" is nothing but a subjective code that you think would be best.
            Yes, it is. Not sure that makes it "wishy washy." It has seldom changed.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Just like JimL. JimL's standard is what he thinks is "best for society" but that is completely subjective. You have more nebulous standards that keep shifting the more I try to pin you down. First it was Happiness, then some "social contract" and now "one of many things that drive our moral codes" and you are "not locked into a social 'best'".
            Umm... no. The social contract is how we adjust our moral code in light of living in society. If we lived in isolation, it would not exist and our moral code would be dirven solely by our own relationship to our underlying value structure. And I have never said "happiness" is the only thing we value. I have (several times) said the things that most of us value include life, liberty, trust, prosperity, happiness, and so forth. It is not one thing. If you want ot have a discussion about specifically what I value, we can do that, and we can explore how my moral frameowrk unfolds from there.

To me objective morals means that some action is morally good or bad intrinsically. It doesn't matter if society thinks it is good because one society might think it is good and another evil (homosexuality for instance, or abortion)
            I understand that. I just disagree that anything is "intrinsically" moral or immoral. an act is moral or immoral with respect to the values we hold that the act protects or compromises.

If the entire world thought that Arianism was great and getting rid of jews was good, and it made everyone happy (except for the jews) then according to your code, it would be objectively moral?
            No. It would be objectively true that most of the world thinks it is moral. Nothing is "objectively moral" in a subjective/realtive moral framework.

Or are you just saying that objective morality is something that doesn't even exist?
            In the way most people use the term - it does not exist.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Ah. then ignore my question above. I thought you were arguing that there is objective moral truth.
              Now you tell me!

OK then, So you are a moral relativist.
              Yes.

If the whole world did believe in Arianism and went about destroying Jews and non-arians and everyone loved it and was happy, then you would indeed think that was morally good because it was good for that society.
              No.

And in the USA during the 1700's when slavery was prevalent in the south and Society thought it was perfectly moral to keep and use slaves, that was morally good too, because that society benefited from it and was happy and prospered.
              No.

Great criteria.

Comment

Actually - I can think of several instances when a lie is the morally correct thing to do.
                Yes. There is other good, where giving the truth would harm that good. Evil being against the good.

Truth versus the lie was used to illustrate.

Lie needs truth. Evil needs good, such as truth.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Now you tell me!

Yes.

No.

No.

You have no basis to judge another society's moral actions if you are a moral relativist. You can't say that slavery was wrong, or that killing the jews was wrong. At best you can say "according to my moral beliefs it was wrong" and then someone else can say "who gives a flying fart about your moral beliefs?"

Comment

If one culture says "pot is illegal" and another says "pot it legal," no one seems to complain of a rational problem. But when we change the word to moral, suddenly we have a problem? Why? Both are about actions, what ought and ought not be done. So why is one irrational and the other rational?
                    Right, in your world there are no right answers to moral questions, in mine there is.

Second, yes - there are possible logical/rational ways to critique another culture's (or person's) moral practices. If the culture values the same basic things (e.g., life, liberty, happiness, etc.), then it is possible to show now the moral code they have arrrived at is not consistent with the underlying values. Second, if they do NOT value the same things, it is logically possible to make a case for why these things can/should be valued by appealing to the benefits such valuing brings. There will be cases, however, where neither of those approaches works. You still have not explained why that is a problem. We have avenues for handling such moral disconnects.
                    But it all goes back to underlying values, if a culture, like Communist China, slaughters millions of dissents to promote political and social cohesion, then that is a moral good. But you are correct - in your world, that is not a problem.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      Yes. There is other good, where giving the truth would harm that good. Evil being against the good.

Truth versus the lie was used to illustrate.

Lie needs truth. Evil needs good, such as truth.
                      I'm not following any of that...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Right, in your world there are no right answers to moral questions, in mine there is.
                        And you managed to not answer the question...

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        But it all goes back to underlying values, if a culture, like Communist China, slaughters millions of dissents to promote political and social cohesion, then that is a moral good to them. But you are correct - in your world, that is not a problem.
                        I added the missing words. And your conclusion is not correct. At no point did I say that was not a problem.

Comment

I added the missing words. And your conclusion is not correct. At no point did I say that was not a problem.
                          Well why would killing millions dissenters be a problem given their goals?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Well why would killing millions dissenters be a problem given their goals?
                            It would not be a problem...for them. It would be a problem for me...and for most other people on this planet (as far as I know).

You are, again, trying to measure a subjective/relative system by objective/absolute standards, Seer. You keep coming back to the same response, over and over and over again: subjective/relative moral frameworks are irrational/problematic/unworkable/unviable because they are not objective/absolute/universal/eternal. You still have not seen that all you are doing is repeating a definition. You're not actually making an argument.

As I have noted before - I have never encountered anyone who can make the case for moral objectivity/absoluteness that DOESN'T reduce to that objection (except the arguments from ridicule or outrage, of course). The objection is: "but there is no way to absolutely/objectively determine who is right." To which I can only nod and say, yes... that's true. That's what it means to be subjective/relative.

And you still did not answer that other question about what is legal vs. what is moral.

Comment

It would not be a problem...for them. It would be a problem for me...and for most other people on this planet (as far as I know).
                              But that is merely your preference, or the preference of a majority. You think it is a problem, they don't. So when you say you have a problem with those acts, it is no more meaningful than them not having a problem. How could it be?

And you still did not answer that other question about what is legal vs. what is moral.
                              I have no idea what your point is, most laws are based on morality. We find things like murder, rape, stealing, etc... to be wrong (a moral judgement) so we make laws against them (legal).

Comment

But that is merely your preference, or the preference of a majority. You think it is a problem, they don't. So when you say you have a problem with those acts, it is no more meaningful than them not having a problem. How could it be?
                                Ahhh... there's that "diminishing/ridiculing" word again - your other strategy (of three). Yes, it is my preference, but not "merely" a preference. It is a preference based on core values, not favorite flavors of pizza, though you would seem to want to paint those as equivalent.

And then there's the "more meaningful" thing - as if there is a need to assess this against a universal/absolute. You just cannot seem to stop yourself going back to that same well, over and over again. Seer - a subjective/relative moral framework is subjective - and relative. It really is not much of an argument to keep reminding everyone that it is subjective and relative.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                I have no idea what your point is, most laws are based on morality. We find things like murder, rape, stealing, etc... to be wrong (a moral judgement) so we make laws against them (legal).
                                So my question was:

If one culture says "pot is illegal" and another says "pot it legal," no one seems to complain of a rational problem. But when we change the word to moral, suddenly we have a problem? Why? Both are about actions, what ought and ought not be done. So why is one irrational and the other rational?

Some laws are based in morality. Some are not. All laws are subjective/relative to the group/country/society writing them. Many laws derived by differing groups contradict each other (i.e., the pot laws above). There is no "universal" or "objective" norm to appeal to. Yet I have never seen anyone suggest any of this is irrational. But when "law" is replaced with "moral code," and the same is suggested - relative and subjective - suddenly it is "irrational."

Both deal with actions. Both deal with identifying ought/ought not. So what makes one irrational and the other not?

Comment