Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Morality or Obedience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    That's called a counter-possible. Being a Christian, if God didn't exist, I wouldn't exist. If I don't exist, I can't hold any morals, can I?
    Exactly. As I’ve said before, asking “if God didn’t exist, how would you behave?” is somewhat like asking “if there were no electromagnetic force, how would you behave?” With no electromagnetic force, there would be no chemical reactions and no life as we know it. Both questions are nonsensical.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      God doesn’t exist and yet you do exist so your morality, whilst attributed by you to “God”, is in fact based upon a different source.
      Baseless assertion unsupported by evidence.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Many theists here argue that morality is objective, that god is the bases of morality. So my question to them, i.e. to you theists, do you consider yourself to be moral beings, or are you just obeying what you believe to be devine laws? In other words, if God did not exist would you cease to live according to the morals that you now hold to?
        So, Lawrence Kolberg proposed six stages of moral development, beginning with "avoiding punishment" (the most juvenile or undeveloped level) and continuing to "universal ethical principles" (the most mature level). The theist will see the "universal" ethical principles as those grounded in the principles established by their god, and the atheist will see "universal" ethical principles as those commonly held by most people, groups, cultures, and nations.

Either way, it is my experience that people can be anywhere along that spectrum, regardless of their theistic beliefs. I have encountered Christian's whose moral choices are based on "avoiding punishment or securing reward" (the lowest moral development level) and Christians whose moral action is conscience and "right for it's own sake" - the highest level. Likewise, I have encountered atheists whose moral action is rooted in fear of punishment or hope for reward, and those who act in adherence with their moral code simply because it is the right thing to do.

It does not seem to me that acting morally is significantly impacted by theistic or atheistic beliefs.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          So, Lawrence Kolberg proposed six stages of moral development, beginning with "avoiding punishment" (the most juvenile or undeveloped level) and continuing to "universal ethical principles" (the most mature level). The theist will see the "universal" ethical principles as those grounded in the principles established by their god, and the atheist will see "universal" ethical principles as those commonly held by most people, groups, cultures, and nations.

Either way, it is my experience that people can be anywhere along that spectrum, regardless of their theistic beliefs. I have encountered Christian's whose moral choices are based on "avoiding punishment or securing reward" (the lowest moral development level) and Christians whose moral action is conscience and "right for it's own sake" - the highest level. Likewise, I have encountered atheists whose moral action is rooted in fear of punishment or hope for reward, and those who act in adherence with their moral code simply because it is the right thing to do.

It does not seem to me that acting morally is significantly impacted by theistic or atheistic beliefs.
          Sad but true to a far too large degree.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
            That's called a counter-possible. Being a Christian, if God didn't exist, I wouldn't exist.
            Isn't it amazing how all the millions of people who belong to other religions incompatible with yours continue to exist even though their deities do not?

Or do you think that Vishnu, Ptah, Mbombo, Makemake, Kon-Tiki and many other deities exist alongside your own?

You being wrong is not a counter-possible.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Isn't it amazing how all the millions of people who belong to other religions incompatible with yours continue to exist even though their deities do not?

Or do you think that Vishnu, Ptah, Mbombo, Makemake, Kon-Tiki and many other deities exist alongside your own?

You being wrong is not a counter-possible.
              His point was that he doesn't believe that a reality where God doesn't exist is possible, not that only he himself (or only those who believe in the [Christian] God) wouldn't exist if God wasn't real. To him (and me as well) JimL's question is like asking if he'd cease to live according to the morals he holds to now if nothing at all existed in the first place.

Comment

I think that I agree to a point, but I must say, I have asked this of christians here on tweb before who have answered by saying "if there is no god, if there are no ultimate consequences for my actions, then why should I care about a moral code?" What are universal ethical principles they would say, if the violation of those principles are not objectively and divinely consequential to themselves? Why should morals matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  His point was that he doesn't believe that a reality where God doesn't exist is possible, not that only he himself (or only those who believe in the [Christian] God) wouldn't exist if God wasn't real. To him (and me as well) JimL's question is like asking if he'd cease to live according to the morals he holds to now if nothing at all existed in the first place.
                  I know what his point was, and he (and you) are mistaken - Jim's question is not like that.

Jim wasn't asking whether his morals would remain unchanged if nothing existed. That would be ridiculous.

Jim was asking whether his morals would remain unchanged if his views were wrong and the world existed without 'God'.

He may think that isn't possible, but there are plenty of people who do think that is possible, and plenty more who think the world exists courtesy of a god very different from his own. It's the height of arrogance for him (and you) to not be capable of even considering the possibility that your worldview is erroneous.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I think that I agree to a point, but I must say, I have asked this of christians here on tweb before who have answered by saying "if there is no god, if there are no ultimate consequences for my actions, then why should I care about a moral code?"
                    I'm no longer surprised by many Xtians' inability to evaluate any worldview other than their own.

Comment

What a cop-out. How about addressing the issue.
                      but you just confirmed what I have been saying!

Comment

I think that I agree to a point, but I must say, I have asked this of christians here on tweb before who have answered by saying "if there is no god, if there are no ultimate consequences for my actions, then why should I care about a moral code?" What are universal ethical principles they would say, if the violation of those principles are not objectively and divinely consequential to themselves? Why should morals matter?
                        The reason we have moral codes is to separate actions into "ought do" and "ought not do." Unlike action choices that have to do with "will I hurt myself if I do this" or "will I get my work done if I di this," they are focused on maintaining a functional and stable community - which could be a family, a neighborhood, a religious group, a social club, or any other place where people congregate. They encode our personal and social behavior norms.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          but you just confirmed what I have been saying!
                          It is the societies that decide what are acceptable or unacceptable behaviours and their moral value. There is no other source. If you think there is then you need to make a case as to what is the "other source".
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It is the societies that decide what are acceptable or unacceptable behaviours and their moral value. There is no other source. If you think there is then you need to make a case as to what is the "other source".
                            I already did!

Comment

The reason we have moral codes is to separate actions into "ought do" and "ought not do." Unlike action choices that have to do with "will I hurt myself if I do this" or "will I get my work done if I di this," they are focused on maintaining a functional and stable community - which could be a family, a neighborhood, a religious group, a social club, or any other place where people congregate. They encode our personal and social behavior norms.
                              Not sure what you're trying to suggest here carpedm9587. I agree we have moral codes for functional reasons, but there is no objective law out there, in my opinion, that makes murder say, a sin.

Comment

Not sure what you're trying to suggest here carpedm9587. I agree we have moral codes for functional reasons, but there is no objective law out there, in my opinion, that makes murder say, a sin.
                                Agreed. I was not suggesting the existence of a moral universal or absolute code.

Comment