Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Lying for the sake of life

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    God can neither lie nor deceive because he is Truth. That is one of his attributes.
    But what about deception?

"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness." (2 Th 2:1112)

That is besides the point.
    Not if we are to be imitators of God.

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Mt 5:48)

Lying is deception.
    Yes, but not all deception is lying.

They are the same. Just different ways of doing the same thing: making someone believe something that is not true.
    No, a lie is to attest to something that is not true.

What gets me is that you think it is better to kill the Nazi to save the life of the jew rather than lie to him, sparing his life and accomplishing the same outcome.
    But you don't know if you would save the life of the Jew in any case. How much better to obey God in this situation, and not sin, and let him work out the consequences.

Sometimes doing something that is normally a sin to prevent a worse sin and to do good is acceptable.
    The ceremonial law may indeed be set aside for a greater good. But we never need to choose between sins, in order to do the will of God. Otherwise, there would be no way of escape from temptation, in such instances.

"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1 Co 10:13)

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But what about deception?

"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness." (2 Th 2:1112)
    I believe that it means that they will deceive themselves because they will follow the antichrist. But if you think that God is deceiving them then you must think that God is LYING because it specifically says they will "BELIEVE THE LIE"

Your entire argument just went up in smoke.

Not if we are to be imitators of God.

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Mt 5:48)
    Again, if you believe that God is sending a delusion to make people believe a LIE then you have no argument here.

Yes, but not all deception is lying.
    Well the one in 2 Thes is because it specifically says it is.

No, a lie is to attest to something that is not true.
    Which is deception.

But you don't know if you would save the life of the Jew in any case. How much better to obey God in this situation, and not sin, and let him work out the consequences.
    Then you should also never kill in self defense. Instead you should just obey God in the situation and let him work out the consequences. In fact you should never do ANYTHING on your own, but just rely on God to take care of things.

The ceremonial law may indeed be set aside for a greater good. But we never need to choose between sins, in order to do the will of God. Otherwise, there would be no way of escape from temptation, in such instances.
    To break the Law WAS to sin.

You keep saying lying is always a sin. I say it is not. Just like killing is not always a sin. If you kill to defend a life it is not a sin. If you lie to save a life it is not a sin. If you break the Law to do good it is not a sin.

3. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.