Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lying for the sake of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Hiding the men required her to lie about it.

Nobody knows if that was the case or not.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Nobody knows if that was the case or not.
      She was asked where they were, after she'd hid them.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

She was asked where they were, after she'd hid them.

She lied, yes. But was she REQUIRED to lie, as you said?

K, I'm tired of going over the same thing. Love you all, but I'm not changing my mind, and you all aren't either. So, we're good, and I'm out.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I suppose she could have told the truth, in which case the spies would have been captured.
          K, I'm tired of going over the same thing. Love you all, but I'm not changing my mind, and you all aren't either. So, we're good, and I'm out.

I was pretty much done, too.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I suppose she could have told the truth, in which case the spies would have been captured.
            Or, God would have protected them in His own way.

I was pretty much done, too.

Now I'm really done.

Comment

Rahab was honored for hiding the spies when they were in Jericho (Joshua 2). Granted, it was Joshua who said she would be honored, but she is also honored for it in the NT (Heb. 11:31, James 2:25).
              Yeah. This is the *only* example I can think of where lying was honored, but it seems reasonably clear.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

She's honoured for her faith in Hebrews 11. Doesn't say it's because she lied. She welcomed the spies and hid them because of her faith.

In James, her "work" of hiding the spies after receiving them was demonstrating the reality of her saving faith. It does not indicate that her lie commended her, but her hiding the men.
                isn't hiding a form of deception itself? You are making people think you are not there. How is that different from just telling people you are not there? Seems like the same thing.

Not to mention that sneaking into the city was illegal tresspassing. wouldn't that be a sin too?
                Last edited by Sparko; 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I think this is the first thing I have ever disagreed with you on. We have done pretty well, eh?
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Ok. Fair enough.

Mary was trying to force Jesus (although I doubt she realized that's what she was doing) to display His divinity before it was, according to Christ, not yet time for Him to do so. I will not guess as to why He acquiesced.

His brothers (and I apologize for misspeaking about it being disciples, although they believed Him, so they were disciples ) were trying to get Jesus to go to the feast publicly. He was not going to do that, as His time for showing who He is had not arrived. He was waiting for God's time, not His brothers.

[quoteTo me this explanation doesn't make sense of the fact that He went in secret. I can't think of any reason that would have been necessary under your scenario.
                    OB One said pretty much the same thing that you agreed with in the post following this one I'm quoting. Which he said after I posted.

Yes, and he had to deal with his brother for the rest of his life, and he was deceived by Laban and ended up with strife in his family for the rest of his life. So he paid consequences for his deceit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that you are "done". I just wanted to point out a few things. 1. Jesus' brothers didn't believe, so they wouldn't be His disciples. 2. OBP's explanation is different than yours. Yours relies on the "not yet time", and God telling Him to go later when it was the right time. His relies on the public/secret issue. I'm not sure I agree with it, but it makes a little more sense to me. It's something to think about though, which is why I posted in this thread. I'm trying to get an idea of how best to understand all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by brum
                      Yeah, I know that you are "done". I just wanted to point out a few things. 1. Jesus' brothers didn't believe, so they wouldn't be His disciples. 2. OBP's explanation is different than yours. Yours relies on the "not yet time", and God telling Him to go later when it was the right time. His relies on the public/secret issue. I'm not sure I agree with it, but it makes a little more sense to me. It's something to think about though, which is why I posted in this thread. I'm trying to get an idea of how best to understand all of this.
                      1. Sorry, brum. I misread. AGAIN!

2. I didn't see much difference between OB One's explanation and mine. I blame my old brain.

Comment

1. Sorry, brum. I misread. AGAIN!

2. I didn't see much difference between OB One's explanation and mine. I blame my old brain.

I figured as much. I often have the same kind of issues with reading things.

Comment

Judges 4:18-21
                          And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him, Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not. And when he had turned in unto her into the tent, she covered him with a mantle. . . . Then Jael Heber’s wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.

Judges 5:24
                          Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be,
                          blessed shall she be above women in the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            Then there is this.

John 7:1 After these things Jesus was walking in Galilee, for He was unwilling to walk in Judea because the Jews were seeking to kill Him. 2 Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near. 3 Therefore His brothers said to Him, “Leave here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret [a]when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” 5 For not even His brothers were believing in Him. 6 So Jesus *said to them, “My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil. 8 Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come.” 9 Having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee.

10 But when His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret.

That looks pretty dishonest to me.
                            *bold emphasis mine

His brothers were very much of the opinion that He should go and make a public entrance. That's what He is refusing to do. Telling them "I'll go but secretly' probably wouldn't have worked out very well.

The important bit is the publicity - that's what His brothers cared about and why they asked. That's also what He did not do.

Edit: Er, OBP already did this one... I'm quitting now...
                            Last edited by Teallaura; 10-30-2017, 05:29 PM.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              Yeah. This is the *only* example I can think of where lying was honored, but it seems reasonably clear.
                              Um, what's her name that did in Sisera.

Edit: Obsidian got it - Jael.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                *bold emphasis mine

His brothers were very much of the opinion that He should go and make a public entrance. That's what He is refusing to do. Telling them "I'll go but secretly' probably wouldn't have worked out very well.

The important bit is the publicity - that's what His brothers cared about and why they asked. That's also what He did not do.
                                It would have been the truth though. Most everyone I know would see that as a lie. As I mentioned in a previous post, it might be what I would consider to be a lie that is the real problem, and not an issue with understanding the passage.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Um, what's her name that did in Sisera.
                                Obsidian beat you to the punch with the example of Jael.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X