Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Democrats trying to lose Virginia's governor's race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    A new Northam ad says that "Ed Gillespie won’t stand up to Donald Trump because he’s right next to him."

The horror!

Of course he's playing to his ignorant base, and in reality, there's still a good chance Northam could win simply because of the DC factor. The rest of the state leans Republican until you get to the high population center near DC where it's as blue as blue can be, so I wouldn't be surprised if Northam wins, especially when you consider that Hillary won Virginia by 5% in 2016. And of course if that happens, Democrats will be crowing about how it's a referendum against Trump and that Congress is as good as theirs come 2018.
    Ignoring all the other referendums on Trump that the Democrats have lost.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Ignoring all the other referendums on Trump that the Democrats have lost.
      Yes, but if they win the governorship in Virginia then the narrative will be "Forget about everything that has happened before. This is the for-real-no-fooling referendum against Trump which proves that voters nationwide are turning their back on him and want him impeached!"
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yes, but if they win the governorship in Virginia then the narrative will be "Forget about everything that has happened before. This is the for-real-no-fooling referendum against Trump which proves that voters nationwide are turning their back on him and want him impeached!"
        Yes, the joyous chorus "the tide has turned, everything is OK!"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then again, if Gillespie wins then they will solemnly intone how this doesn't mean anything.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then again, if Gillespie wins then they will solemnly intone how this doesn't mean anything.
            Just like it apparently didn't mean anything when Obama would endorse a candidate only for that candidate to lose. It got so bad that Democrat candidates started begging Obama to stay away.

Politico, February 2014: "W.H. Senate plan: Keep Obama away"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Then again, if Gillespie wins then they will solemnly intone how this doesn't mean anything...
              ...again, still.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Looks like Northam has it.

Comment

The Democrats won all positions in Virginia and New Jersey by solid margins.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Tonight was basically a rejection of Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                      Tonight was basically a rejection of Trump.
                      Not yet, this was a highly partisan blue urban versus rural red.
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Are Democrats trying to lose Virginia's governor's race?

With only one exception, the party that holds the presidency has lost the Virginia governor's race since 1977. That exception happened in 2013, leading to all five statewide offices being held by Democrats; it seemed to many that Virginia's growing blue population had stopped the historical trend. In 2017, both history and demographics would point to a Democratic victory in the three statewide offices and in House of Delegates races, but something strange is happening in Virginia.

The Virginia Democratic Party is blowing their shot in spectacular fashion — culminating in printing literature which excluded their black lieutenant governor nominee, sending mail comparing Republican gubernatorial nominee Ed Gillespie to white supremacists in Charlottesville, and even comparing a Latina Republican House of Delegates candidate to a ravenous dog and the Halloween character Jason. Now, a Hampton University poll has Republican nominee Ed Gillespie winning by 8 percent going into the last two weeks.

But things were unraveling, even before this....

...While few gave Gillespie and the GOP ticket a chance a couple weeks ago, Democrats' errors on top of errors could lead to a November surprise.
                        So much for the Hampton University poll, Gillespie and republicans get crushed state wide.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          So much for the Hampton University poll, Gillespie and republicans get crushed state wide.
                          Pretty much, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            I seriously question the poll, because the results, I believe were predictable, were seriously divided down the line by party. The role of Trump was the lack of a positive influence that would carry any swing votes for the Republicans.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-07-2017, 09:36 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                              Tonight was basically a maintaining of the status quo.
                              Fixed that for you. Virginia has become increasingly blue, and voted for Hillary in the last election. It's not exactly a huge shock that the Dems pulled out a win. Congrats, I guess. You avoided the upset.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Not yet, this was a highly partisan blue urban versus rural red.
                                Yes, I believe it was a rejection of Trump and Trumpism which is what Gillespie ran on. Northam won by nearly 10 points, the largest margin in 32 years, and Democrats not only won the Governorship, Lt. Governor, Atty Gen. but also won 17 house seats, some of those in rural districts. Virgina is now solid Blue, and I think we can all thank Trump for that!

Comment