Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Deeper Waters Podcast 10/28/2017: Bill Honsberger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Waters Podcast 10/28/2017: Bill Honsberger

How do we reach people involved with Wicca?

The link can be found here.

-----

What's coming up? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I've always been a fan of fantasy. The whole genre fascinates me. I also know that it's fantasy. Unfortunately, I also know that there is real witchcraft out there. The sad thing is, this isn't what you find in the storybooks. This is actually trying to get in touch with real powers that are out there and trying to get some sort of benefit from them.

One such system is one called Wicca. In a recent interview, I was surprised to hear just how popular the movement of Wicca is. It's one that we really don't hear much about. I can't remember the last time I dialogued with someone in Wicca on Facebook or if I ever have. Despite that, it's apparently growing among our young people.

Fortunately, there are people who answer this, and it's a good thing. A brief look on Amazon did not really reveal much aside from people who have already been on my show. Still, when I was told about how bad it is among the young and who to contact, I immediately sought to get him on my show. He's someone who knows a great deal about Wicca and he's going to talk about it with us this Saturday. His name is Bill Honsberger.

So who is he?

IMG_1109.jpg

According to his bio:

Bill Honsberger and his wife Terri live in Aurora, CO and have eight children. Bill has been working with and around cults for over twenty-five years. For the past twenty years he has worked for Haven Ministries (under the auspices of the Conservative Baptist Home Mission Society for the first 9 years), a ministry that focuses on evangelizing people in cults, the New Spirituality and other non-Christian religions. Haven Ministries also works on educating the church as to the issues raised by non-Christian religions. Bill has a Bachelors degree from Western Bible College in Pastoral Theology, a Master of Arts Degree in Systematic Theology from Denver Seminary, numerous hours in graduate study in philosophy and history at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of Colorado-Boulder, and was AbD at the University of Denver. He is now in the process of completing his PhD at The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, KY. He has also taught as an adjunct professor at several Christian schools and for a local community college. He speaks at colleges and churches around the country and has had numerous television, radio and newspaper interviews. He is also on the national board for Evangelical Ministries to New Religions (EMNR), a network of Counter cult/apologetic ministries from around the country.
    Join me this Saturday as we talk about Wicca. What is it? Why is it that young people are being drawn into this movement? How is it that we can reach people in this belief system? What does it really teach?

Please be watching your podcast feed for the next episode of the Deeper Waters Podcast. Also, if you haven't go on ITunes and leave a positive review of the Deeper Waters Podcast. See you next time!

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Back in the 80s a friend and I went on a double date with two girls who shared a house in Atlanta with the younger brother of another friend. The date went pretty well and I could tell that Nancy, the girl I was paired with, was attracted to me. At the end of the evening she offered me some drink that was lime green and smelled of chlorophyll which tasted bad but I didn't want to offend her so I drank about half of it.

The next day I had to leave work early and stopped at my friend's house (the one I double dated with) because I couldn't even make it all the way home. I let myself in and curled up on the living room floor so sick that I seriously wouldn't have cared if I had died. When my friend got home he was going to take me to the hospital but I felt a little better and said I just needed to get some sleep. The next day I was weak as a kitten but didn't feel that bad otherwise.

A couple days later, while talking to Nancy and her friend I found out that they were Wiccans and her friend added that "it's basically the same as being a Christian." I simply responded "um, no." The conversation ended shortly afterwards and I didn't ask Nancy out again.

A week or two later while talking to the friend who was the brother of the other roommate I found out that Nancy had given me a love potion in that green drink. She basically gave me a horrible case of food poisoning.

Is there a point to all this? Probably not. I just wanted to share although I'll never forget the matter-of-fact way the one said that they're basically the same as Christians. Again, um no.
    Last edited by rogue06; 10-26-2017, 07:09 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I guess it didn't work then.

Comment