Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christ Church taking down plaque of Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christ Church taking down plaque of Washington

George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memorial

A church attended by George Washington will take down a memorial to the nation's first president, a move church leaders say is intended to make the place of worship more welcoming.

The Washington Times reported Friday that Christ Church in Alexandria, Va., will remove memorials of Washington and former Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which stand on either side of the church's altar.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," church leaders said. "Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”

Washington began attending the church soon after it opened in 1773, and bought a pew there. He attended for more than 20 years, though he appeared more regularly at Pohick Church, southwest of his estate at Mount Vernon.

Christ Church's decision to remove the statues comes amid a national debate over whether Confederate statues and monuments should be taken down. That debate resurfaced in August after a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., turned violent.

While that debate has focused primarily on Confederate memorials, President Trump suggested shortly after the Charlottesville protests that taking down some memorials would eventually lead to statues of Washington or Thomas Jefferson being removed as well.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...n-his-memorial

I've got mixed feelings about this, as I believe "the Church" is "all about Jesus".

What's dumb is their claim that people feel "unsafe or unwelcome". Like one of these plaques is gonna fly off the wall and attack you?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've got mixed feelings about this, as I believe "the Church" is "all about Jesus".

What's dumb is their claim that people feel "unsafe or unwelcome". Like one of these plaques is gonna fly off the wall and attack you?
      I highly doubt that doing this will make them focus more on Christ.

Sounds like seeker-sensitive to me. Next comes tickling ears.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's standard sjw language used to corrupt an institution. If someone in your church demands a change because it makes them feel "unsafe or unwelcome" excommunicate them on the spot.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It's just a plaque on a building commemorating something of historical significance. I don't see how it detracts from the gospel.

I'm more troubled by the fact that a church promoting a historically based religion would seek to suppress history. How long before they start downplaying other truths that might make the congregation uncomfortable,
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-28-2017, 10:54 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I more troubled by the fact that a church promoting a historically based religion would seek to suppress history. How long before they start downplaying other truths that might make the congregation uncomfortable,
            They're Episcopalians - they started doing that a while ago.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It's just a plaque on a building....
              It specifically states "on either side of the church's altar" and "in our sanctuary". If it were a plaque on the outside of the building, that might be different.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                It's standard sjw language used to corrupt an institution. If someone in your church demands a change because it makes them feel "unsafe or unwelcome" excommunicate them on the spot.
                Whenever somebody tells me they feel "uncomfortable" in worship, I ask them how "comfortable" do you think Isaiah was in the year that King Uzziah when one of the seraphim took a live coal from the altar and smooshed on his mouth.

Comment

It specifically states "on either side of the church's altar" and "in our sanctuary". If it were a plaque on the outside of the building, that might be different.
                  Doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I can't say i'm surprised.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      How does this justify excommunication from the church (which biblically implies a state of eternal condemnation)?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It probably shouldn't be in the actual worship space as that is a place for God's glory only. It wouldn't be an issue if it was in the narthex/lobby or on the outside of the building, though it's strange that people would feel physically uncomfortable. Personally I'm more bothered by churches that display flags in the worship space.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          How does this justify excommunication from the church (which biblically implies a state of eternal condemnation)?
                          Because they are attempting to corrupt the church with a different religion (liberalism)
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            They're Episcopalians - they started doing that a while ago.
                            Seriously, Pig?
                            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memorial

A church attended by George Washington will take down a memorial to the nation's first president, a move church leaders say is intended to make the place of worship more welcoming.

The Washington Times reported Friday that Christ Church in Alexandria, Va., will remove memorials of Washington and former Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which stand on either side of the church's altar.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," church leaders said. "Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”

Washington began attending the church soon after it opened in 1773, and bought a pew there. He attended for more than 20 years, though he appeared more regularly at Pohick Church, southwest of his estate at Mount Vernon.

Christ Church's decision to remove the statues comes amid a national debate over whether Confederate statues and monuments should be taken down. That debate resurfaced in August after a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., turned violent.

While that debate has focused primarily on Confederate memorials, President Trump suggested shortly after the Charlottesville protests that taking down some memorials would eventually lead to statues of Washington or Thomas Jefferson being removed as well.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...n-his-memorial

Yeah, as an Episcopalian I can say that I definitely don't agree with this decision. You can change history by hiding the reminders. I can appreciate their motive to be welcoming but this definitely is the wrong way to go about it.
                              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment