Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Universe Shouldn't Exist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It's been awhile since he's used a "duck, dogde and weave" or whatever it is.
    Haven't seen "Airball!" in a while either.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Didn't NRAJeff and/or OtherCheek use that "Duck, Bob and Weave" thing?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You mean "Duck, Bob, and Weave, the Three Stooges of Ignorance."?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          No God can't just make things appear out of nothing, that's too hard to believe, but believing things can poof themselves out of nothing, why that's perfectly scientific!
          In all seriousness, what would you want scientists to do?

The options seem to be:
          Never attempt to look at perhaps the biggest question out there?
          Rework the entire scientific method to something out of the 12th century, so that it somehow incorporates evaluations of the probability of miracles?

You're hammering a bunch of scientists for, well, being scientists. Something that you generally have a great deal of respect for otherwise.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Recently I asked Tass: Tass, do you believe that things pop into existence without a cause?

His response: Yes! This is “an intrinsic part of quantum mechanics, which is extremely well tested, and is a complete and tightly woven theory"

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post487255

They will believe anything rather than allow a divine foot in the door...
            Incomplete answer concerning how the scientists consider the 'cause' of the universe. It is Natural Laws that are considered the cause.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Incomplete answer concerning how the scientists consider the 'cause' of the universe. It is Natural Laws that are considered the cause.
              Where did those natural laws come from?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                In all seriousness, what would you want scientists to do?

The options seem to be:
                Never attempt to look at perhaps the biggest question out there?
                Rework the entire scientific method to something out of the 12th century, so that it somehow incorporates evaluations of the probability of miracles?

You're hammering a bunch of scientists for, well, being scientists. Something that you generally have a great deal of respect for otherwise.
                Good question. Attempting to look is fine. A priori ruling out an extremely long-standing untestable theory in favor of another untestable theory is not so fine.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  They simply exist as far as Methodological Naturalism is concerned. If you are a Theist Natural Laws have a Divine origin. If you are a Metaphysical Naturalist the Natural Laws have existed eternally.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-10-2017, 08:24 PM.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Natural laws are not existing things in themselves, so they didn't come from anywhere. Our universe is simply the result of the action, which we define as laws, of the eternal substance from which it was born. Unless of course it was created out of nothing, and in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that to be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Natural laws are not existing things in themselves, so they didn't come from anywhere. Our universe is simply the result of the action, which we define as laws, of the eternal substance from which it was born. Unless of course it was created out of nothing, and in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that to be the case.
                      If not absolutely nothing then where did that "pregnant nothing" come from.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What you are asking is 'where did the eternal cosmos come from?' Surely you don't need me to point out the problem with that question.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          What you are asking is 'where did the eternal cosmos come from?' Surely you don't need me to point out the problem with that question.
                          But there is no eternal cosmos Jim that we know of.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            But there is no eternal cosmos Jim that we know of.
                            Are you asking to prove the negative? How would we ever'know' or even demonstrate whether an eternal cosmos exists or not? At present this is an open question without an answer, and likely can never be answered by science. Any argument from this perspective would be an extreme 'argument from ignorance.'

Frank

Comment

Simply the 'observed' nature of our physical existence. The closest we have in science is'Quantum Mechanics' describing where our macro physical existence 'comes from.'

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Simply the 'observed' nature of our physical existence. The closest we have in science is'Quantum Mechanics' describing where our macro physical existence 'comes from.'
                                Exactly. The macro physical existence is just the other side of the coin so to speak of the micro, the micro being the various fields filling all of space and the macro being the vibrations therein, which we observe of as matter. Whether the energy/matter fields are infinite and eternal or not propbably can't be known empirically and so they either are, or they were created out of nothing. The most logical answer in my opinion is that they are eternal and infinite, that there is no such thing as nothing, because the alternative is that they were magically spoken into existence in order to make a place for human beings 14 billion years later into the future.
                                Last edited by JimL; 11-11-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment