Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Universe Shouldn't Exist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    What you are asking is 'where did the eternal cosmos come from?' Surely you don't need me to point out the problem with that question.
    What is the problelm with that question? Beyond the fact that you do not have an answer.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      What is the problelm with that question? Beyond the fact that you do not have an answer.
      I believe the question was answered the best that it could be, and JimL acknowledged this. To try to go beyond this is the fallacy 'arguing from ignorance' and therefore . . .
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I believe the question was answered the best that it could be, and JimL acknowledged this. To try to go beyond this is the fallacy 'arguing from ignorance' and therefore . . .
        I do not recall an answer from Jim.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Jim's answer was basically, "I choose to believe X with no evidence because I refuse to believe Y."
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Jim acknowledged my answer, and it is same science and answer as the question you asked me concerning Natural Laws.

'Simply the 'observed' nature of our physical existence. The closest we have in science is'Quantum Mechanics' describing where our macro physical existence 'comes from.' Natural Laws and physical nature of the Quantum world is where 'things come from.'

There is no 'comes from' that can be falsified concerning Natural Laws and the Quantum world.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-11-2017, 04:41 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The problem with the question Jed, is that it doesn't make sense. Obviously the eternal Cosmos didn't come from anywhere, it's eternal.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Jim's answer was basically, "I choose to believe X with no evidence because I refuse to believe Y."
                No, my answer was that Jeds question didn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The problem with the question Jed, is that it doesn't make sense. Obviously the eternal Cosmos didn't come from anywhere, it's eternal.
                  Do you have any falsifiable evidence of an "eternal cosmos?"

Comment

Jed, your question, speaking about the universe, was basically "if it didn't come from nothing, then where did it come from?" I merely pointed out to you that your question didn't make sense. I never claimed falsifiable evidence that the universe is infinite and eternal, though it is my opinion that it is since, ex nihlo nihil fit.

Comment

No, an neither is a non-eternal cosmos falsifiable, and this question likely will never be answered by science, nor anyone beyond a reasonable doubt.

Both Natural Laws and the cosmos are simply observed objectively to exist.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        No, an neither is a non-eternal cosmos falsifiable, and this question likely will never be answered by science, nor anyone beyond a reasonable doubt.

Both Natural Laws and the cosmos are simply observed objectively to exist.
                        Except there are good reasons to believe that matter and energy are not past eternal:http://inference-review.com/article/...f-the-universe
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          In all seriousness, what would you want scientists to do?

The options seem to be:
                          Never attempt to look at perhaps the biggest question out there?
                          Rework the entire scientific method to something out of the 12th century, so that it somehow incorporates evaluations of the probability of miracles?

You're hammering a bunch of scientists for, well, being scientists. Something that you generally have a great deal of respect for otherwise.
                          Just come out and admit that they don't know, that they are guessing and may never know since at this point we can't get any evidence outside of the universe. Or of any other universe. It's OK to admit science can't answer everything at this time.

I have respect for science and I don't begrudge scientists even wondering what created the universe or if there are other universes, but don't arrogantly come off as if what they are "theorizing" about is fact, or that they even have actual evidence when they don't.

"we don't know" is a perfectly good scientific answer to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Just come out and admit that they don't know, that they are guessing and may never know since at this point we can't get any evidence outside of the universe. Or of any other universe. It's OK to admit science can't answer everything at this time.

I have respect for science and I don't begrudge scientists even wondering what created the universe or if there are other universes, but don't arrogantly come off as if what they are "theorizing" about is fact, or that they even have actual evidence when they don't.

"we don't know" is a perfectly good scientific answer to me.
                            Two things:

"We don't know yet" is the default answer for any scientific question, and only changes once we get information. So i completely agree with you there.

The whole point of this is that we can get evidence of the physics that would underly the production of other universes in our own. That wouldn't be a conclusive demonstration that they exist, but it would be more than "we don't know yet."
                            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                              Two things:

"We don't know yet" is the default answer for any scientific question, and only changes once we get information. So i completely agree with you there.

The whole point of this is that we can get evidence of the physics that would underly the production of other universes in our own. That wouldn't be a conclusive demonstration that they exist, but it would be more than "we don't know yet."
                              sure. and when they have evidence of our universe producing other universes, then you have that. But you still don't have actual evidence that our universe was created from another one, or from nothing. But until then "we don't know yet"

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Except there are good reasons to believe that matter and energy are not past eternal:http://inference-review.com/article/...f-the-universe
                                Again, again, again and again no, because you are selectively citing Vilenkin to justify your agenda. This article refers only to the beginning of our universe, and not whether the greater (multiverse) cosmos is past eternal. Vilenkin proposed that it is possible that the multiverse had a beginning, but again our multiverse may be one of an infinite number of multiverses. but than again you do not believe there is evidence or beginning of our universe and all possible universes in a multiverse from Quantum nothing that Vilenkin, Guth, Krauss, Hawking and others support.

Therefore, there is not reason to believe that our physical existence is past eternal, and there is no objective verifiable evidence either way.

Your speculating in the realm of the scieniists Quantum Mechanics, Cosmology, and Physics you do not believe there is any evidence for, and Sparko and you have no qualifications to make the judgments you make based on your theist agenda..

Frank

Comment