Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kevin Spacey's Complicated Gayness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Victor Borge, man. Victor Borge.
    Victor Borge, Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy, Jim Gaffigan, Tim Hawkins, Bob Newhart, Bob Hope George Carlisle to a certain extent. When he was contained or oriented to a certain audience Robin Williams, Gallagher,
    Chonda Pierce, Mark Lowry and Some of Cosby's early stand up. Chonda pierce isn't too well known outside of Christian Circles but Lowry and Hawkins are, so is Gaffigan. Its not always about the joke there are ways to tell jokes about alcohol life even sex that can be delivered in a way that adults will understand kids won't and it still funny and your 14 year old might understand but its not all that innappropriate for them to hear...
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm not the only one around here who's familiar with this guy, right?
      We saw him in person at the "Disney on Ice" performance in Houston at the Summit. He and a ladyfriend were doing a beautiful elegant skate-dance, when an overhead light burst, fell onto the ice, and he tripped and ......

...yeah, it was part of the act, but it really got me and a whole bunch of other people who were temporarily heartbroken that this nice man would have such a bad thing happen
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        We saw him in person at the "Disney on Ice" performance in Houston at the Summit. He and a ladyfriend were doing a beautiful elegant skate-dance, when an overhead light burst, fell onto the ice, and he tripped and ......

...yeah, it was part of the act, but it really got me and a whole bunch of other people who were temporarily heartbroken that this nice man would have such a bad thing happen
        If the only thing he ever did was his "phonetic punctuation," he'd still be one of the best.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

If the only thing he ever did was his "phonetic punctuation," he'd still be one of the best.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              YEARS ago, we had a "free HBO weekend", and Cosby was doing a comedy routine. It was disgusting - full of F bombs and lewd 'jokes'.... and, apparently he did that for a while, because it was cheap laughs from a bunch of drunks in a night club.

On the other hand, you get a guy like Jerry Clowers who can have you laughing so hard it hurts, and never a cuss word or "adult content" aspect whatsoever.
              Wait, Cosby was dropping F bombs and lewd jokes? He's notorious as someone in comedy who didn't do that. In fact, Eddie Murphy has a whole bit in his routine from the 80s where he mentions Cosby calling him on his foul language, and that later Murphy, heart-broken, turned to Richard Pryor who told him to not listen to Cosby.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Victor Borge, Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy, Jim Gaffigan, Tim Hawkins, Bob Newhart, Bob Hope George Carlisle to a certain extent. When he was contained or oriented to a certain audience Robin Williams, Gallagher,
                Chonda Pierce, Mark Lowry and Some of Cosby's early stand up. Chonda pierce isn't too well known outside of Christian Circles but Lowry and Hawkins are, so is Gaffigan. Its not always about the joke there are ways to tell jokes about alcohol life even sex that can be delivered in a way that adults will understand kids won't and it still funny and your 14 year old might understand but its not all that innappropriate for them to hear...
                We have an old VHS with Mark Lowry on it around here somewhere. We also have some stuff from Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Gaffigan, and Jeff Foxworthy. We would listen to them on the way down to Florida. Definitely helped make the trips easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  The Arts attracts the most brilliant and complicated minds of all. The borderline between Artistic Genius and Mentally Ill is very thin. In fact the border between genius and mentally ill is thin. However as a person goes back and looks even at the greatest composers of music, mental illness, rules high, and a few were actually gay. Including Chopin. It doesn't get any less complex in the current artistic world whether its classical music, opera, ballet, broadway or film and visual arts. What was once a secret has come to light.
                  I wonder if the border is actually thinner or just easier to spot when touched or crossed.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm not the only one around here who's familiar with this guy, right?
                    Nope, he was great!

But my favorite of all time is still Tim Conway - I giggle just thinking about some of his routines.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Wait, Cosby was dropping F bombs and lewd jokes? He's notorious as someone in comedy who didn't do that. In fact, Eddie Murphy has a whole bit in his routine from the 80s where he mentions Cosby calling him on his foul language, and that later Murphy, heart-broken, turned to Richard Pryor who told him to not listen to Cosby.
                      Cosby did have a phase - if I recall correctly, late seventies, early eighties, and only night clubs as far as I could tell. But I don't recall it lasting very long - kinda like he was keeping up with everyone else at the time but then realized he didn't want to go where they were going.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Cosby did have a phase - if I recall correctly, late seventies, early eighties, and only night clubs as far as I could tell. But I don't recall it lasting very long - kinda like he was keeping up with everyone else at the time but then realized he didn't want to go where they were going.
                        I had a few of his albums from the mid 70s. Hilarious stuff. And I don't recall a single bad word (although it is possible one or two might have slipped it).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nope, he was great!

But my favorite of all time is still Tim Conway - I giggle just thinking about some of his routines.
                          Conway was pretty much the only reason I watched the old Carol Burnett show.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wonder if the border is actually thinner or just easier to spot when touched or crossed.
                            Maybe. It's an interesting theory either way. I don't know that there's a border between genius and madness in the arts necessarily...I think it's just that, unlike most other trades, the arts are personal, and so people who delve into them tend to take them personally, and passionately. I've talked about this quite a bit with my father who's an artist, and I feel that the creative process is two-edged depending on your reason for creating. On the one hand, you have those involved in the arts because nature, and life is so grand, and they're so taken with it, that they're just moved to paint, sing, write, and act about it. For theists in the arts, it's almost an act of worship to paint, or to compose. You express how grand God is through imitation. On the other hand, you have those who use art as a medium to make themselves gods. Who see the creative process as a way of building their own worlds, and who thrive on the praise of others.

Also, because they're so passionate, artists tend to be incredibly empathetic. Godless artists are then very much looking for that thing which serves as Christianity without Christ, and that comes in all sorts of distorted fashions, so that's why you'll see them celebrating sin, or pushing for social causes that seem right in a world that doesn't know God. So, for instance, the Communist and Anarchist tendencies of painters, actors, and writers in the early part of the 20th century seemed to come from the idea that Capitalism, and factory conditions without representation were destroying the heart and soul of the working class, and they weren't necessarily wrong about that, but their answer to these social issues was misdirected, and we see the same thing with the push for the LGBTIQ agenda in film and television today, or in indie foreign cinema you might see a lot of push for, say, euthanasia, or animal rights, or what have you.

Looking back, I wonder how far back this goes. I think the first major artist superstars didn't come about till probably the Renaissance, and that's when you hear about artists acting like drama queens. Before then, I get the feeling that artists were treated as simple craftsmen. Not much different than your bricklayers, and carpenters.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I had a few of his albums from the mid 70s. Hilarious stuff. And I don't recall a single bad word (although it is possible one or two might have slipped it).
                              Yeah, I've head some of his albums from the 70s, and I don't remember any of it being blue either. In fact, a lot of his comedy shtick was used later for the show. Maybe they are out there and Teal and CP just happened to catch it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Looking back, I wonder how far back this goes. I think the first major artist superstars didn't come about till probably the Renaissance, and that's when you hear about artists acting like drama queens. Before then, I get the feeling that artists were treated as simple craftsmen. Not much different than your bricklayers, and carpenters.
                                FWIU, historically speaking they were regarded as being at or near the bottom of the social pecking order. One step above thieves and the like.

Comment