Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Happy 500th anniversary, Reformation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 500th anniversary, Reformation!

Thanks, Martin Luther!

You did good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

He threw a baby or two out with the bathwater.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        He threw a baby or two out with the bathwater.
        It was pretty polluted bathwater. You could almost say that he was, in today's language, draining the swamp.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It was pretty polluted bathwater. You could almost say that he was, in today's language, draining the swamp.
          Agreed.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

everyone was calling for Reform, Luther got too political
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              everyone was calling for Reform, Luther got too political
              In an era when Church and State were often inseparable that was almost impossible to avoid.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A friend of mine who is a Baptist minister has suggested that it seems inappropriate to celebrate, but rather that it should be a time for solemn reflection. I tend to agree.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  A friend of mine who is a Baptist minister has suggested that it seems inappropriate to celebrate, but rather that it should be a time for solemn reflection. I tend to agree.

Yes. A time for solemn reflection on how grateful we should be to God for bringing us out of so much error into truth.

And I am not getting into that with anybody here.

Comment

Our local Lutheran congregation is having quite an internal squabble as the leadership has decided to celebrate this event with a 5 oz commemorative beer at the conclusion of their Church service. Good thing they are no longer using our building!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Our local Lutheran congregation is having quite an internal squabble as the leadership has decided to celebrate this event with a 5 oz commemorative beer at the conclusion of their Church service. Good thing they are no longer using our building!

Comment

Luther would have approved.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Luther would have approved.
                          Yeah, most of these are crusty old Germans, but they have a number of young conservatives, hence the dilemma.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, most of these are crusty old Germans, but they have a number of young conservatives, hence the dilemma.
                            The young "New Calvinists" do have a reputation for loving their beer...
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The crusty old Germans should remind the young conservatives that it was progressives who pushed the temperance movement.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X