Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Deeper Waters Podcast 11/4/2017: J.P. Holding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Waters Podcast 11/4/2017: J.P. Holding

It's a conspiracy!

The link can be found here.

-----

What's coming up? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Conspiracies. We all know that there are real ones out there. Real people do work to commit crimes secretly. Unfortunately, in an urge to find cover-ups, plenty of other cover-ups are suspected. We can see numerous ideas presented about secret messages and plots that have been afoot, sometimes for centuries.

Some of these are historical. One can easily think of Alexander Hislop's work*The Two Babylons where pretty much everything that has ever been has been tied to Nimrod in the Bible somehow. While the argument is bogus, it is still consistently shared today. Another example, though not the focus of this show, would be Jesus mythicism.

A lot of these Christians buy into. What about the Illuminati? What about the possibility of a New World Order? There are claims that when anything happens, it's a government conspiracy. There are people who think the government was controlling hurricanes Harvey and Irma and others. Some think that the shootings at places like Sandy Hook were fake. How far do these go?

To talk about these, I decided to have a Christian come on who has looked in-depth at these kinds of conspiracy theories. Not only has he looked at them, he's more than capable of equipping Christians to answer them and research them themselves. He's my ministry partner, J.P. Holding of Tektonics, and he'll be joining us this Saturday.

So who is he?

j-p-holding.jpg

James Patrick Holding is President of Tekton Apologetics Ministries. He holds a Masters degree in Library Science and has written articles for the Christian Research Journal and the Creation Ex Nihilo Technical Journal.
    How should Christians handle charges about a New World Order and other such things? What do you say when someone says that the Illuminati is behind what is going on in the world today? Is there any historical truth behind any of this?

If you are not sure of a conspiracy theory, then what do you do? What are some of the places you can go to research a claim? What are some things that you should be looking for to see if something is bogus or if something could possibly be genuine?

What also is the harm anyway? Even if you do get something wrong, does it really make a difference? How does it impact Christian witness if you share something that is untrue? When we see Christians who are sharing things like conspiracy theories, what can we do? What steps should we take in order to change the mindset of people in the church today and handle the way that we approach information claims?

I hope you'll be watching for this next episode. I have a great concern when I see Christians sharing conspiracy theories, which includes a lot of people caught up in last days madness talking about New World Order and Illuminati specifically. Please also consider going on ITunes and leaving a positive review of the Deeper Waters Podcast.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Is that Turkel?

Comment

Nick will invite any trash heap onto his show. This is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
        Nick will invite any trash heap onto his show. This is ridiculous.
        You're not kidding. You should check and see who I got the week after you.

Comment

Said in jest.
          Reprobate.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            You're not kidding. You should check and see who I got the week after you.
            It's not that apostate Bible-denying heathen Mike Licona AGAIN, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
              It's not that apostate Bible-denying heathen Mike Licona AGAIN, is it?
              Worse. Some no name guy called Richard Bauckham.

Comment

Crud, why not just invite Kent Hovind and put everyone out of their misery!

Comment

We're going to have Barley Girl come and talk about eschatology and how every dream and event in your life is about the rapture.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Is that Turkel?

Burnt bird boi fell into the Turkel Trap!

Last edited by rogue06; 11-03-2017, 10:25 PM. Reason: forgot an "r"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      Worse. Some no name guy called Richard Bauckham.
                      Oh I figured you might get a REAL scholar, like Richard Carrier.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Oh I figured you might get a REAL scholar, like Riichard Carrier.
                        I wanted to, but I couldn't find enough women willing to be with him in exchange.

Comment