Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

27 Christians Murdered In Texas Church...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I could help, but... multisensory deficits...
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Two words - pressure cooker.
      Their means of expression are so impoverished and they are so inarticulate that only bullets seem to have sufficient voice and even then, the message is incomprehensible to Americans.
      Last edited by firstfloor; 11-07-2017, 11:29 PM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Seems like the only time the media considers a person's worldview to be of interest is when it's a Christian.
        The media considered the Muslim worldview of another attacker to be of interest only a few days ago.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Their means of expression are so impoverished and they are so inarticulate that only bullets seem to have sufficient voice and even then, the message is incomprehensible to Americans.
          You want SO badly to be relevant.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            The media considered the Muslim worldview of another attacker to be of interest only a few days ago.
            You mean the guy who drew attention to his religion by yelling "Allahu Akbar", and left a note saying the attack was in the name of ISIS? Yeah, I wonder how the media came to the conclusion that his Muslim worldview was relevant.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Okay. So, who's fault is that exactly? It can't just be on the shoulders of gun control advocates. If the system is broken then it's broken because of everyone in the system, not just those who want to see it fixed. Or maybe there's always going to be accidents in a system with as much red tape as ours has, which, again, isn't the fault purely of gun control advocates.

The whole "criminals don't obey laws" is a bit of a red herring. We discussed this in the other thread. The goal of gun control laws isn't to prevent law abiding criminals from committing crimes, but from preventing law breaking criminals from committing crimes by making it much harder for them to acquire weapons by any means (either legally or illegally).
              well short of taking away ALL guns from everyone, what do you propose? We already have laws and checks in place to prevent criminals from getting guns legally. As we keep saying, they are not working or being enforced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                well short of taking away ALL guns from everyone, what do you propose? We already have laws and checks in place to prevent criminals from getting guns legally. As we keep saying, they are not working or being enforced.
                This last shooter could never had purchased a firearm legally if the Government had done its job.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The whole "criminals don't obey laws" is a bit of a red herring. We discussed this in the other thread. The goal of gun control laws isn't to prevent law abiding criminals from committing crimes, ...
                  "Law abiding criminals"?
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I offered a proposal in the previous thread. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post481379

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      "Law abiding criminals"?
                      Correct. I'm tired of hearing the common refrain "criminals don't obey laws" when it comes to gun control laws. Gun control advocates already know that, so in case there was any confusion I wanted to cover all bases, including those criminals who, for whatever reason, may be law abiding, as well as the more common type...the law breaking ones. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek response.

Comment

I offered a proposal in the previous thread. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post481379
                        Here's a video by Vox that compiles a number of the most popular statistics together, and points out that most of the other 1st world nations where guns are legal have much tougher laws concerning acquiring and keeping guns including that you need:

1.) A license
                        2.) A recording into an official registry
                        3.) To acquire a license you need to state a reason for ownership
                        4.) In most countries you must pass a safety test
                        5.) And are required by law to store the gun safely
                        1. permits and licenses are already required in most places for anything other than a shotgun.
                        2. That is part of getting a license.
                        3. unconstitutional -- besides people can lie.
                        4. In order to get a concealed carry permit you need to take safety classes already.
                        5. OK I agree. I also think that if someone gets hurt and someone did not store the gun safely it is already a liability: Reckless endangerment

But how does any of that prevent criminals from getting access to guns or anyone else legally or illegally and going on mass shooting sprees?

Comment

1. permits and licenses are already required in most places for anything other than a shotgun.
                          2. That is part of getting a license.
                          3. unconstitutional -- besides people can lie.
                          4. In order to get a concealed carry permit you need to take safety classes already.
                          5. OK I agree. I also think that if someone gets hurt and someone did not store the gun safely it is already a liability: Reckless endangerment

But how does any of that prevent criminals from getting access to guns or anyone else legally or illegally and going on mass shooting sprees?
                          I don't know where you live, but here in Ohio, and most of the other places I've lived, absolutely none of those things are done or required. There is no such thing as a gun license or an official registry for most types of guns that I know of. You can get a gun almost anywhere. Heck, here they actually give away guns at raffles. No 90 day check, no license required, no nothing. I don't see why stating what you need a gun for is unconstitutional, and so what if people can lie, the important thing is that it gives the government some idea why they're being used, which I think is helpful for data analysis, and regular safety classes to own any sort of gun, whether it's concealed or not seems like a pretty good idea.

As far as prevention goes, licensing and registration would serve to help track guns used in a crime to their origin, and even if that origin isn't to the criminal themselves, it would help the police know where to start in an investigation. Also, if guns are licensed and registered, the government could do yearly checks to ensure that the gun is still in the legal owner's possession, and the owner hadn't sold, lost, or had the gun stolen without informing anyone. If a license is revoked for any reason, then this should prevent the individual from ever legally owning a gun in the future. Registration could also help with random inspections to ensure the gun owner is properly storing the weapon in a safe so that there aren't any in-home accidents, and to lower the risk of theft.

I mean, even if you don't like these ideas, at least it's something. Because, again, whatever we're doing now isn't working.

Comment

I don't know where you live, but here in Ohio, and most of the other places I've lived, absolutely none of those things are done or required. There is no such thing as a gun license or an official registry for most types of guns that I know of. You can get a gun almost anywhere. Heck, here they actually give away guns at raffles. No 90 day check, no license required, no nothing. I don't see why stating what you need a gun for is unconstitutional, and so what if people can lie, the important thing is that it gives the government some idea why they're being used, which I think is helpful for data analysis, and regular safety classes to own any sort of gun, whether it's concealed or not seems like a pretty good idea.

As far as prevention goes, licensing and registration would serve to help track guns used in a crime to their origin, and even if that origin isn't to the criminal themselves, it would help the police know where to start in an investigation. Also, if guns are licensed and registered, the government could do yearly checks to ensure that the gun is still in the legal owner's possession, and the owner hadn't sold, lost, or had the gun stolen without informing anyone. If a license is revoked for any reason, then this should prevent the individual from ever legally owning a gun in the future. Registration could also help with random inspections to ensure the gun owner is properly storing the weapon in a safe so that there aren't any in-home accidents, and to lower the risk of theft.

I mean, even if you don't like these ideas, at least it's something. Because, again, whatever we're doing now isn't working.
                            With 3D printers, guns can actually be 'printed' without serial numbers, so it's getting even crazier.

Comment

And how would any of that make a difference in stopping incidents like Las Vegas or this one? We already said he should not have been given a gun and yet he had 4. If they are not even bothering to enforce the laws we already have, how would your suggestions changed anything? Would they have enforced those? if so why?

You are right, what we are doing now isn't working -- because they are not enforcing the laws we already have. making more laws that won't be enforced isn't going to help.

as far as needing a permit, here is a page from 2010 on which states require permits. Seems like all of them except Alaska, Arizona and Vermont do require some permit or license to carry a gun.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/shal...tricted-states

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                With 3D printers, guns can actually be 'printed' without serial numbers, so it's getting even crazier.
                                I've heard of those. They fire like 2 rounds and fall apart. I think we're a ways away from 3D printing guns in a way that they're actually practical, if at all. And I don't know a single person with a 3D printer. Those things are super duper expensive. If you can afford a 3D printer, and the materials used to print something as complicated as a gun, then you're likely not fitting the profile of your average violent gun criminal. But, if we get to the point where this is a viable option, we could always institute new laws for that. One thing at a time.

Comment