Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

27 Christians Murdered In Texas Church...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Farmers still use the stuff needed to make explosives. And they use it in quantity.
    As I noted in a different thread...
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I could show you how to make a liquid binary explosive that makes C-4 look weak in comparison just by mixing two chemicals that you can readily get from a large hobby store[1] and grocery store. If you can make a mixed drink you can make this. The only impediment is that it requires a compound detonator to set it off.

1. There is another source for it where it is amazingly easy to acquire in substantial amounts that I won't mention since it might provide too much of a clue what it is and I have no desire to teach anyone how to do this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apparently, USAF failed to report the bad conduct discharge and criminal behavior of the shooter.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Apparently, USAF failed to report the bad conduct discharge and criminal behavior of the shooter.
        Yep so once again, if they would just enforce the gun control laws we already have, it might have prevented this. We don't need new laws, we need to enforce the ones we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yep so once again, if they would just enforce the gun control laws we already have, it might have prevented this. We don't need new laws, we need to enforce the ones we have.
          Reasonable laws consistently enforced.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Farmers still use the stuff needed to make explosives. And they use it in quantity.
            Farmers, yes. A non-farmer attempting to purchase it in quantity would raise some flags, I'd think.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Farmers, yes. A non-farmer attempting to purchase it in quantity would raise some flags, I'd think.
              I think in both US and Canada, the following is true...
              Anyone purchasing the chemical has to show ID or a special license and cannot buy more than is proportional to their needs. The seller has to record the buyer's info and must deny them the chemical where there's reason to believe it will be used for a crime.

Comment

I might caution us a bit on the speculation of the ability to purchase such materials, however. A friend of ours, a graduate student who does research for Texas A&M, was writing a report, and was doing research on the ability to purchase fertilizer. He ended up on the terror watch list, and missed a flight because of it. It took quite a bit of rigamarole to get him off that list. That's the kind of world in which we live.

Comment

I think in both US and Canada, the following is true...
                  Anyone purchasing the chemical has to show ID or a special license and cannot buy more than is proportional to their needs. The seller has to record the buyer's info and must deny them the chemical where there's reason to believe it will be used for a crime.
                  Is that a legal requirement? I really don't think it's right to require a private business owner to do the job of law enforcement. And what about instances where the seller didn't get any red flags from someone who went on to commit a crime? Would the seller be legally culpable because he didn't refuse the sale?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    In a small town like that, he could just drive up to someone's barn and steal bags of the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Is that a legal requirement? I really don't think it's right to require a private business owner to do the job of law enforcement. And what about instances where the seller didn't get any red flags from someone who went on to commit a crime? Would the seller be legally culpable because he didn't refuse the sale?
                      In Texas (can't really speak for elsewhere) the farmer/rancher community tends to be pretty close - we know each other. I've bought stuff that would be 'questionable', but the folks at the feed store know me and where I live. I don't think they've ever made a written record of my purchases (other than receipts). They (farmer/rancher community) tend to be more 'conservative' than the general population, and see it more of a civic duty to advise law enforcement of any suspicious sales or attempts to purchase. I think that's how this should work.

And, yeah, those people who have chemicals in bulk keep a pretty close eye on inventory, and will notify local sheriff's department if there are strange disappearances.

Same with crop-dusting. Anybody wanting to rent a plane that can be equipped (or is equipped) as a crop-duster is reported to law enforcement. (That concern seems to have died down as of late, but about 10 or 15 years ago, that was being watched VERY closely)

Comment

I should note that ANFO explosives are just one of a slew of easy to manufacture high explosives and that most of the others can be made from ingredients that aren't watched. See post #61 above. Fortunately most of the others are not as widely known as "fertilizer bombs."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On a side note, I know a feed store owner (John) who had a guy come in to buy a considerable amount of fertilizer (AN), and even though he had plenty in stock, John told the guy "I don't have that much on hand, but if you can come back tomorrow after 9 AM, I'll have a new shipment". The next morning, one of our local sheriff deputies was "helping out" (dressed appropriately for the part) when the guy showed back up. It turned out to be legitimate - it was a city-slicker grandson of a rancher who had sent him to buy the stuff, but the kid looked awfully nervous. So, yeah, I think that's how this should work - watching out for each other.

Comment

I might caution us a bit on the speculation of the ability to purchase such materials, however. A friend of ours, a graduate student who does research for Texas A&M, was writing a report, and was doing research on the ability to purchase fertilizer. He ended up on the terror watch list, and missed a flight because of it. It took quite a bit of rigamarole to get him off that list. That's the kind of world in which we live.
                            To be fair, claiming to be a student doing a research project would be excellent cover for someone wanting to find out how easy it would be to buy the stuff.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This just in....

SABA Response Opportunities
                              for FBC Sutherland

The Gambrell Baptist Association office (a member of the South Central Texas Area) has just given us an update on the fund. The Attorney General has stated the funeral and medical expenses of the victims will be covered because this was a criminal act.

GBA has asked that the fund be changed to a "building repair" fund. The church building has been damaged and needs extensive repair.

SABA is receiving donations to help repair the FBC Sutherland building. We have added an online donation link located at the bottom of the home page on the SABA website - sanantoniobaptist.org

Sutherland Shooting Update.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                To be fair, claiming to be a student doing a research project would be excellent cover for someone wanting to find out how easy it would be to buy the stuff.
                                Oh, no doubt about it! He said he was even nervous when questioning some of the local suppliers - they looked at him with real suspicion. He had to verify his project with some of them by referring to his academic advisor, who was very well known through the Ag Extension office.

Comment