Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    If the accusations were false CP...
    It's OK, Jimmy - it keeps you all worked up, which is kinda fun to watch.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And, again, even CNN: Al Franken's totally unapologetic resignation

Washington (CNN)Two things were clear after Al Franken finished his speech on the Senate floor just after noon on Thursday:

1. He was resigning his seat by the end of the year.

2. He didn't believe he had done anything for which he should have been forced to resign.

Franken's speech was defined primarily by his lack of any real apology and the clear bitterness he carries for being pushed out amid allegations that he had groped several women and forcibly tried to kiss others.

Here's the key bit from Franken (bolding is mine):
      "Over the last few weeks, a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions had affected them. I was shocked. I was upset. But in responding to their claim, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently."

That's a remarkable statement. Franken is simultaneously saying that he believes the women who have accused him have a right to be heard while also making very clear that he is not admitting he had done the things they alleged.

This guy is a fraud - a total BOZO. To use him as an example of what Moore should be or do is freakin' nuts!
      Time has also noticed:

Source: Al Franken Is Not Sorry

Long before he became a senator, Al Franken was a liberal hero for the way he stuck it to Republicans. And so it was perhaps inevitable that, even as he resigned from the Senate in disgrace this week, he couldn’t resist a parting shot.

“I of all people,” Franken said on the Senate floor, “am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.”

It was a line of reasoning worthy of President Trump: Why am I being persecuted while my political enemy goes unpunished? How is that fair? Franken didn’t apologize — in fact, he cast doubt on his accusers — and the only regret he expressed was for “having to walk away from this job.” But after a political career premised on exposing the depravity of Republicans, Franken himself stood exposed. For years, he had built his brand on always being in the right. Even as he relinquished his Senate seat, he couldn’t let go of his sense of moral superiority.

Link

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Here is the bottom line for me. Moore may have done some unseemly things forty years ago, his opponent, Jones, supports the killing of unborn babies today. The choice is obvious.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Here is the bottom line for me. Moore may have done some unseemly things forty years ago, his opponent, Jones, supports the killing of unborn babies today. The choice is obvious.
          Unfortunately, it comes down, once again, for voting for the lesser of two evils.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Here's an interesting article that kinda puts this all in perspective...

No One Ever Drowned in Roy Moore's Car

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Unfortunately, it comes down, once again, for voting for the lesser of two evils.
              That seems like a terrible reason to vote. If it comes down to choosing one evil over another, then don't be a part of the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                That seems like a terrible reason to vote. If it comes down to choosing one evil over another, then don't be a part of the process.
                Fortunately, not being a resident of Alabama, I don't have to make that choice. If I were a resident of Alabama, I'd probably sit that one out.

Comment

I don't know, that has been part of my voting process, to degrees, since I started voting in 1972.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• No candidate will embody all of the points of view, or support for policies, that we support. Voting is an exercise in finding the candidate that most closely matches the policies we hold most dear.

I do not live in Alabama, so I do not have to make this choice. But if I did - I would be voting for Jones.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      No candidate will embody all of the points of view, or support for policies, that we support. Voting is an exercise in finding the candidate that most closely matches the policies we hold most dear.
                      That's really an oversimplification. Sometimes there's a candidate (like HRC) whose values and polices and corruption are so egregious that one might resort to voting for a candidate they might not otherwise support.

Comment

That pretty much described the 2016 presidential election. But if one seems decidedly worse than the other then wouldn't it sort of be your duty to try to limit the damage and vote for the one you thought would be less deleterious to decrease the chance that the worse of the two wouldn't get in?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          I don't believe anyone ever asked her if she added for her own record the date and place of signing, and she probably didn't feel the need to mention it. Her only intention was to show the message that Moore wrote and signed for her. Everyone seems to be questioning those parts of the note that admittedly weren't written by Moore, but I don't think there is much question about the signature itself, and really thats all that matters.
                          Actually it was one of the very first things they noticed and did question about it. It is why Moore's lawyer demanded to have a handwriting expert examine the original. He pointed out the discrepancy in his press conference. Allred or this woman never admitted anything at that time and stalled giving access to the yearbook for examination. They still have not given it up for examination. If there was nothing to hide why not just admit it right at the start?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            My brother, who works a lot with autographed documents and has them regularly authenticated (he's buddies with the guy who does the authenticating on Pawn Stars now), has told me several times that nobody will do an authentication based on a picture of the writing. They can often spot a clumsy forgery that way but will never authenticate anything based on a picture.
                            Yeah they can look at the pen strokes to tell if it is a real signature or a fake by any hesitation marks or how fast the pen was moving and stuff like that. Not to mention they can test ink to see how old it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Yeah they can look at the pen strokes to tell if it is a real signature or a fake by any hesitation marks or how fast the pen was moving and stuff like that. Not to mention they can test ink to see how old it is.
                              And one of the red flags they look for is when a signature appears to "perfectly match" up with another known signature since nobody signs their name exactly the same way. There are always slight differences.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                I do not live in Alabama, so I do not have to make this choice. But if I did - I would be voting for Jones.
                                You call yourself pro-life, but you would vote for a guy in favor of murdering full-term babies?
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment