Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Heh. The only station on my presets is the local classical station.
    The HD2 channel from NPR is the only classical station here outside of Sirius XM.

Our PBS-affiliated classical station shut down last year, sold to yet another Christian talk radio outlet. I'll try not to blame you personally, but I'm still having anger issues.

I lost my car to Irma. The replacement picks up HD2. Life is better now.

There's nothing that makes a long, stop and go commute more endurable than classical.

The possibility of working across the aisle has been pretty much nil since Nov. 2007. The Democrats have been able to pull together when in the majority to ram stuff through, but didn't bother to get all the kinks out first. The Republicans seem incapable of pulling together. I'm not sure which is worse. In any case, both major parties have been far more interested in pulling for this or that special group than making things better for all for quite some time now. The resulting red tape makes things more difficult for all.
    I'm not going to believe that.

Well, okay, the House has always been a zoo, to my personal recollection.

But there are still senators who remember pulling together. So long as that's true, there will be senators who know how to do it. The US Senate has the reputation of being the greatest deliberative body in the world. Senators are justly proud of this and protective of the distinction. With chaos coming from the White House, seen up close and personal, they're also seeing the need.

Putting up a reasonable alternative to Mr. Trump would be a good start. Mr. Trump won because too many people were mad as hell about what the establishment has been up to, and the establishment candidate had too many negatives.
    Michael Moore said much the same thing, leaving a lot of room for agreement.

I'm FB friends with the fishboi. Other than that, I don't know many people who voted for Trump, who admit it anyway. Trump's got issues, and everyone knows it. A couple did a satire on his tweeting at the Country Music Awards last week, and didn't even get lynched.

He's a year in, doesn't know what he's doing, and doesn't show any sign he's trying to learn.

And we're stuck with him.

We've just had the first indictments from Mueller, which means any charges, if any, at the top of the ticket won't be out until next year. If there are, I've seen impeachment proceedings twice before. They take a year or more, too. If he's forced from office, it can't be before the last year of his presidency.

Nixon left early, before the hammer could fall, and he had barely been re-elected before the hearings began. Clinton weathered the storm. Trump's not likely to do either, and his normal is unhinged. This could be bad.

I think the best hope is for Trump to lead his party into a drubbing in the midterms. Independent of whether gavels pass, the spell will be broken, and the coast will be cleared for pushing him to the sidelines. That's what they're hoping. Corker isn't saying anything in public that the rest of his colleagues aren't saying in private.

With Trump effectively sidelined, if the congress is functional we can keep the country running even if he cracks up, so long as he can still do autographs. He doesn't know what's in the bills he's signing anyway. Give him his phone, his bathrobe, and his cable TV, and wake him if we get nuked by North Korea.

Okay, so maybe that's not a best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Not what I said - "I am extremely uncomfortable being alone in the building at night with a woman not my wife"
      The bolded part is what caused the problem. Note her husband's phrasing - what you said wasn't what she heard. You gave it an emotional component and that made it sound personal to her.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Perhaps you might read my post again with a little less prejudice. The "emotionally unstable" comment was added as part of my post, not part of my discussion with her.
        Got that actually - but the original phrasing has an emotional component that reads to a girl as accusatory - and calling her emotionally unstable after the fact makes the phrasing even more questionable.

I get that she caught you off guard - this one can't be fixed. But I'd strongly urge you to use less personal language in the future - we girls react differently to that kind of terminology and an already upset woman isn't going to hear what you intended here. Lay it off on policy instead - and frankly, if your church doesn't have a policy against having counseling sessions of any composition (gender wise) alone in the building, you really should change that. Misunderstandings can arise in any counseling situation and it's not a good idea to have a session in an empty building.

Your deacon threw gas on the fire.

No - I was trying to be delicate - this particular woman, unbeknownst to me at the time, had had an affair with a Methodist pastor while he was in the process of getting a divorce, and they had met in his office. They ended up getting married. THAT was why she was so highly offended - she thought (I learned this after the fact) I was accusing her of trying to do the same thing. The husband who called our deacon chair all irate is her 4th husband, not that anybody's counting.

THAT is what ticked them off.
        Um, CP, that's exactly what I thought ticked them off - I just didn't have the extra details. I gathered from her husband's statement that she thought you were accusing her. That and the 'extremely uncomfortable' phrasing had no chance of working in that situation. It comes off accusatory.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Because I suspect that most pastors are not attracted to men, or that it would be less likely that a man would accuse a pastor of rape or the like.
          Actually, Jim's right on this one. Lots of things can go wrong when a hurting person is in counselling - doing it alone in a empty building is unwise.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Anyway, back to Roy Moore. More accusations are now coming out concerning the ex justice. More young girls accusing him of innapropriate behavior, another 14 year old accusing him of giving her alcohol. Whats up with the reddest of red states? The Governor there was thrown out of office for inappropriate sexual behavior, the Attorney General, Luther Strange, covered up for the Governors crimes and still felt comfortable enough to run for the Senate,, and the Chief Justice was thrown off the bench only to then run for the Senate also, only to then be accused of child sexual abuse.
            40 years after the fact and after he's been elected twice to the Alabama Supreme Court? The timing reeks of political manipulation.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              If his only (attempted) sins are 38 years old, that is an excellent sign of character.
              I would grant the theory but the practice is so extremely unlikely that I find it suspicious. It is a form of sexual predation and that doesn't usually stop so abruptly.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                To me, the part about calling the 14-year-old on "the phone in [her] room" sounded fake.
                In the Seventies, that would not have been unusual.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

This is refreshingly mildly surprising.

Good to see you, sir. How's that 'fine hair' holding out?
                  The hair remains perfect, and far more abundant, if increasingly less numerous.

There's a story here.

I teach a subject with its very own eponymous anxiety syndrome. Back when I kept it close cut, I started bragging on my perfect hair as a first-day icebreaker, because irony and me have a deal that involves cookies. Since then, for reasons, a couple years ago I stopped cutting it.

And now I can channel jigawatts the mornings I wash it.
                  I know what y'all were thinking as you first saw me walking into the room.

<beat>

"My god, he's got perfect hair."

For the best part of the irony, I think better than half of them think I'm serious.

But this is a tough term for me. It's never about the math. It's always about the students. Everyone in the class took damage from Irma.

And then Deb.

And then around the time Deb died, a young woman in the area was gunned down.

Fifteen rounds. And I know this because her sister is in my class, and needed to share it with me, understandably enough. It's an evening class, and my first and only class on this campus, which means that isolation, unfamiliarity with the staff, and confidentiality rules leave me no one I can talk to about this. The college offices aren't even open at night.

She's coming to class to have a few hours away from the drama as folks around her work out their grief. I can understand that.

Here I am, posting TWeb.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                    An important part of this story is his allies outing themselves as pro-pedophilia/pro-sexual assault.

County Chair David Hall thinks pedophilia is okay if it happened a long time ago and there's nothing wrong with a 30 year old dating a 16 year old.

County Chairs Jerry Pow and William Blocker said they would vote for a pedophile assuming the allegations were true.
                    County Chair Riley Seibenhener blames the child for being sexually assaulted.
                    State Auditor Jim Zeigler says that because Bible characters were pedophiles, it's okay in the modern age.
                    *emphasis mine

Legally, he's correct.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                      Sex with a 14-year-old is not actually child rape -- or pedophilia.

I doubt that the allegation against Roy Moore is even true, though, because I don't believe that this girl had a dedicated phone line into her bedroom in the 1970s, and Roy Moore doesn't seem like the type of guy to try to have sex on a second date.
                      ? Her own phone or her own phone line? the first wasn't unusual - the second was rare.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        That kind of instant dismissal just ain't right, Sparko.

I think he was young-wife-shopping, Alabama style, a la Jerry Lee Lewis, thinking he could always tie the knot after she was pregnant. He was single, and the lack of further reported incidents later in life reflects a likely end to the behavior with his marriage.
                        Excuse me? Let's get something straight, most Southerners, including Alabamians, marry close to their own age. If memory serves, Moore's wife is fairly close to his own age.

Congratulations on ruining an otherwise fairly rational post with pure, unadulterated bigotry.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          In the Seventies, that would not have been unusual.
                          In the 70s any teens I knew that had a phone in their room were very rare and considered incredibly lucky.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            The hair remains perfect, and far more abundant, if increasingly less numerous.

There's a story here.

I teach a subject with its very own eponymous anxiety syndrome. Back when I kept it close cut, I started bragging on my perfect hair as a first-day icebreaker, because irony and me have a deal that involves cookies. Since then, for reasons, a couple years ago I stopped cutting it.

And now I can channel jigawatts the mornings I wash it.
                            I know what y'all were thinking as you first saw me walking into the room.

<beat>

"My god, he's got perfect hair."

For the best part of the irony, I think better than half of them think I'm serious.

But this is a tough term for me. It's never about the math. It's always about the students. Everyone in the class took damage from Irma.

And then Deb.

And then around the time Deb died, a young woman in the area was gunned down.

Fifteen rounds. And I know this because her sister is in my class, and needed to share it with me, understandably enough. It's an evening class, and my first and only class on this campus, which means that isolation, unfamiliarity with the staff, and confidentiality rules leave me no one I can talk to about this. The college offices aren't even open at night.

She's coming to class to have a few hours away from the drama as folks around her work out their grief. I can understand that.

Here I am, posting TWeb.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              In the 70s any teens I knew that had a phone in their room were very rare and considered incredibly lucky spoiled.

fify
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                In the 70s any teens I knew that had a phone in their room were very rare and considered incredibly lucky.
                                I thought so too, but I knew more than a few that had them.

Phone lines, no; lovely princess phones, oh yeah!
                                princess-pink-rc-full.jpg

I STILL want one!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment