Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You didn't actually address the point. You either missed it or deliberately ignored it.
    Neither. That I admire teachings attributed to Jesus of Nazareth does not require me to admire all of them, or even in their causal order (within that worldview). While that may be necessary for a Christian, it is not true outside that worldview. I would imagine if I had a chance to examine the entire worldview of every person, I would find something in each of them I agreed with. That does not mean I am required to agree with their worldview in total.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You didn't actually address the point. You either missed it or deliberately ignored it.
      Neither. That I admire teachings attributed to Jesus of Nazareth does not require me to admire all of them, or even in their causal order (within that worldview). While that may be necessary for a Christian, it is not true outside that worldview. I would imagine if I had a chance to examine the entire worldview of every person, I would find something in each of them I agreed with. That does not mean I am required to agree with their worldview in total.

For example, if Mussolini believed it was important to keep the trains running on time to ensure his troops could get to the front to fight their war efficiently, I can agree with "it's important to keep the trains running on time" without agreeing with the underlying purpose or cause. Likewise, I can admire the "do unto others" without necessarily accepting the "reconciliation to god." I can admire six of the ten commandments without admiring the other four, and so forth.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

For example, if Mussolini believed it was important to keep the trains running on time to ensure his troops could get to the front to fight their war efficiently, I can agree with "it's important to keep the trains running on time" without agreeing with the underlying purpose or cause. Likewise, I can admire the "do unto others" without necessarily accepting the "reconciliation to god." I can admire six of the ten commandments without admiring the other four, and so forth.
        Try once more - the third time is the charm!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For example, if Mussolini believed it was important to keep the trains running on time...
          He would have been SO PROUD of The Tsukuba Express Line!

A rail company in Japan has apologised after one of its trains departed 20 seconds early.

Management on the Tsukuba Express line between Tokyo and the city of Tsukuba say they "sincerely apologise for the inconvenience" caused.

In a statement, the company said the train had been scheduled to leave at 9:44:40 local time but left at 9:44:20.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Try once more - the third time is the charm!
            Oh I edit my posts after making them about 97% of the time. And sometimes three times!

Usually it's to add examples, but sometimes it's to fix grammar, or typos I missed.

Like this post...

...which I just edited four times!

Actually, five...

No ... wait... six...

I'm typing...and I can't shut up...
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Oh I edit my posts after making them about 97% of the time. And sometimes three times!
              Yeah, me, too.

Usually it's to add examples, but sometimes it's to fix grammar, or typos I missed.

Like this post...

...which I just edited four times!

Actually, five...

No ... wait... six...

I'm typing...and I can't shut up...
              But you posted it twice - including the "revised and expanded" version.

(At least you don't "pull a CP" - intending to 'report' a post, and 'amen' it instead. )

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                This was in the context of Carp’s comment that he admires “many of the teachings attributed to Jesus of Nazareth”. He is obviously not, as an atheist making a theological comment. The Golden Rule, minus the mythological aspects re god’s laws and dying and rising etc, is the central essence of Christianity...as it is of many ethical systems throughout human history.

What gives the Golden Rule its moral authority is the fact that we live among other human beings. If we are to do so successfully there are certain basic principles that must observe, including respect and mutual reciprocation regarding other individuals. This is what the Golden Rule is all about.
                If you remove Jesus' divinity then all you're left with are hollow, feel-good guidelines that you're free to accept or reject as the situation allows. Big deal.

And claiming that a certain guideline has moral authority because it seems to work out OK for most people who try it shows your complete ignorance of the concept of moral obligation. Sure, the "Golden Rule" works, but why shouldn't atheists follow the other "Golden Rule of Nature" that says "Always do what is in one's own best interest" and "Whatever one can get away with doing is permissible"? If Jesus is not divine then those "Golden Rules" have just as much moral authority as the more traditional version.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, me, too.

(At least you don't "pull a CP" - intending to 'report' a post, and 'amen' it instead. )
                  My favorite is when I go to edit a post, and end up quoting myself instead.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When MM pointed out that y is nice and all that, but it doesn't mean much without x, you merely repeated that you like y. I can see from this that you chose to deliberately ignore x (despite your protestation otherwise). You didn't agree or disagree with it, but passed over it in silence. Because x was MM's entire point, I don't know why you bothered replying. I appreciate that you sorta addressed x this time around.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      My favorite is when I go to edit a post, and end up quoting myself instead.
                      Since CP has admin powers, he's been known to accidentally edit a post instead of replying to it.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When MM pointed out that y is nice and all that, but it doesn't mean much without x, you merely repeated that you like y. I can see from this that you chose to deliberately ignore x (despite your protestation otherwise). You didn't agree or disagree with it, but passed over it in silence. Because x was MM's entire point, I don't know why you bothered replying. I appreciate that you sorta addressed x this time around.
                        My second post fleshed out my first slightly, but it was the same response. Y may be meaningless to MM and you without X. That is fine for you. It is not meaningless to many of the rest of us.

Comment

Yeah, me, too.

Oh...

Maybe I accidentally replied to myself...?

Comment

Oh...

Maybe I accidentally replied to myself...?
                            Or maybe you were victim of that "hang" where we think we posted, have to hit F5, but the original post we're working on still shows. I suspect you posted, didn't realize you posted, and continued editing, then actually purposely posted.

Comment

Since CP has admin powers, he's been known to accidentally edit a post instead of replying to it.
                              Sometimes I can go back and "fix it", but other times I've mangled it so badly that I just have to issue a heartfelt apology to the person whose post I mangled.

Comment

Or maybe you were victim of that "hang" where we think we posted, have to hit F5, but the original post we're working on still shows. I suspect you posted, didn't realize you posted, and continued editing, then actually purposely posted.
                                Technology never fails...

Comment