Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And the logical question - why now, after all these years?
    The answer is logical, simple and clear in the testimony. The overwhelming power of Bob Moore, and the social environment demanded silence at the time. There are also psychological issues of social guilt that many girls and young women believe they share the blame.

There is also the social stigma of not believing women as in the hearings for the appointment of the Judge Thomas to the Supreme Court. Biden on the committee believed the testimony, and voted against Thomas, but the majority voted for him. The pattern is continuing even on this forum.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-14-2017, 09:18 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The answer is logical, simple and clear in the testimony. The overwhelming power of Bob Moore, and the social environment demanded silence at the time. There are also psychological issues of social guilt that many girls and young women believe they share the blame.

There is also the social stigma of not believing women as in the hearings for the appointment of the Judge Thomas to the Supreme Court. Biden on the committee believed the testimony, and voted against Thomas, but the majority voted for him. The pattern is continuing even on this forum.
      Ah, you answered the question "why not back then" - you did not answer the question "why now".

(we're calling him Bob now?)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon
        There are also psychological issues of social guilt that many girls and young women believe they share the blame.
        Not saying that there couldn't be any shame whatsoever, but let's get real: None of these ladies even alleges any actual intercourse. No one has been raped. No one has even been 'statutory-raped.' Even the fifth lady -- who cried for eight minutes with no tears, while detailing how she ALMOST got raped -- would realistically view herself as a survivor and victor, rather than some despoiled victim. She supposedly fought the guy off until he gave up. Getting raped and almost getting raped are light years apart. That one reason why it sounded hokey for her to be continuously 'crying' about it, 40 years later.

Originally posted by JimL
        Because this isn't simply about the criminal nature of the alleged act, the statute of limitations I would assume is up anyway, but this is about sitting a pedophile not to mention a religious hypocrite in the U.S. Senate.
        Whether it's a criminal case or any other form of judgment is irrelevant. The Bible condemns the use of stupid judgment, in all areas of life.

James 2:2-4
        For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; and ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

I see absolutely no reason why I should disbelieve all these women who have similar stories concerning the moral character of Roy Moore.
        One, the Bible requires two witnesses. Two, none of the stories is "similar" -- except for the three above-age girls who claim that he tried to date them and went about it respectably. If I were ever accused of something, I would certainly hate to have you on my jury, if you're going to reason and judge this poorly.

Comment

Ah, you answered the question "why not back then" - you did not answer the question "why now".

Why now? Because apparently the rumors about Moore abound in Gadsden Ala. and the media sought out the victims of those rumors. Simple as that, the victims didn't all of a sudden come forth, the media did their job, which as we know you conservatives no longer appreciate, and found the victims.
          Last edited by JimL; 11-14-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

With there being many accusations of sexual predilection being aimed at various popular figures as of late, making your own accusation would seem less uncomfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              Not saying that there couldn't be any shame whatsoever, but let's get real: None of these ladies even alleges any actual intercourse. No one has been raped. No one has even been 'statutory-raped.' Even the fifth lady -- who cried for eight minutes with no tears, while detailing how she ALMOST got raped -- would realistically view herself as a survivor and victor, rather than some despoiled victim. She supposedly fought the guy off until he gave up. Getting raped and almost getting raped are light years apart. That one reason why it sounded hokey for her to be continuously 'crying' about it, 40 years later.

Whether it's a criminal case or any other form of judgment is irrelevant. The Bible condemns the use of stupid judgment, in all areas of life.

James 2:2-4
              For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; and ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
              Yeah, well, for one, I'm not a bible thumper myself, and two, James 2:2-4 appears to have nothing to do with judgement of ones moral behavior.

One, the Bible requires two witnesses. Two, none of the stories is "similar" -- except for the three above-age girls who claim that he tried to date them and went about it respectably. If I were ever accused of something, I would certainly hate to have you on my jury, if you're going to reason and judge this poorly.
              We are not a theocracy my friend and two, the 14 year olds story is corroborated by friends of hers that she told at the time, there's also evidence that at 14 she was at the courthouse where she said she first met Moore with her mother, you have multiple other women who claim that when they were 16-18 yrs of age Moore tried to pick them up and gave some of them alcohol. Now we also have another women who claims that Moore offered her a ride home from the diner she worked at and instead pulled into an alley and began to sexually molest her and tried to force her into giving him oral sex. She also says that she is willing to testify under oath. Yeah, sounds like a great big conspiracy eh? And btw, this isn't a trial, it's simply a matter of who is more believable, the women or Moore.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL
                I'm not a bible thumper myself
                And that's why your judgment here sucks. Maybe you should convert.

James 2:2-4 appears to have nothing to do with judgement of ones moral behavior.
                Condemning someone for alleged, but inadequately proven, moral behavior is no different than judging someone based on his clothes. It doesn't matter whether we're in a criminal trial.

1 Timothy 5:19
                Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

We are not a theocracy my friend and two, the 14 year olds story is corroborated by...
                NO ONE who saw what actually happened. In fact, no one who even claims to have heard a report about the almost-sex that she is alleging now. She just *supposedly* told one of them that she was "seeing" Roy Moore. (Does two dates, which she claims now, even count as "seeing"?)

Now we also have another women who claims that Moore offered her a ride home from the diner she worked at and instead pulled into an alley and began to sexually molest her and tried to force her into giving him oral sex.
                I'm sure he would've gotten real far with that oral sex -- considering that according to her own sequence of events, his pants were still on.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Why now? Because apparently the rumors about Moore abound in Gadsden Ala. and the media sought out the victims of those rumors.
                  Ah, so you admit the media is just a bunch of rumormongers?

Simple as that, the victims didn't all of a sudden come forth, the media did their job,
                  And their job is to rumormonger?

which as we know you conservatives no longer appreciate, and found the victims.
                  "No longer appreciate"? I appreciate honest investigative reporting - not tabloid journalism.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    With there being many accusations of sexual predilection being aimed at various popular figures as of late, making your own accusation would seem less uncomfortable.
                    So, it's just a feeding frenzy?

Comment

The Liberal Playbook....
                      After Weinstein: A List of Men Accused of
                      Sexual Misconduct and the Fallout for Each

Comment

. . . sorry for the typo it is Roy Moore

. . . because simply the victims feel empowered by others that they are not coming out alone as when they faced the abuse in the past alone.

I gave an example when the testimony against Judge Thomas was ignored, and the accuser faced abuse. She was widely accused of lying.

I have a real problem when the abuse by Roy Moore, and others in the entertainment industry was widely known, and nothing was done at the time. I am also concerned by response by the community at large. There is abundant evidence that the abuse of Roy Moore and others was known at the time in their community. The victims are being treated terribly now even though they are not alone.

The problem remains; 'What do you do now with Roy Moore other than abusing the victims?'
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM.
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          There is abundant evidence that the abuse of Roy Moore and others was known at the time in their community.
                          This is false. The only "testimony" are anonymous claims passed around second hand by hostile media sources that deserve no benefit of the doubt.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• The media criticized and made fun of Pence's saying he won't be alone with a woman who is not his wife. They even said it "hurt women" and was "sexist" and "gender discrimination"
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.5843a14ef633
                            http://www.latimes.com/local/abcaria...405-story.html
                            https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...inners/521286/
                            https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05eae031d949c

Who's laughing now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              But again, why now, just 30-days before an election? Why not a month ago when all the Weinstein stuff was hitting its peak? I can all but guarantee that if Moore didn't have a double-digit lead in the polls then we would have never heard about this.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                This is false. The only "testimony" are anonymous claims passed around second hand by hostile media sources that deserve no benefit of the doubt.
                                The basis is actual testimony by the victims. The other testimony is only supporting evidence. There is reliable testimony of associates of Roy Moore that they knew of the problem.

Sexual abuse by 'men of power' has a long history. It is only in the past ten or more years that people have been coming forward in large numbers. The first wide spread abuse to be revealed was by priests and Bishops of the Roman Church. I believe the current trend of women coming forward was inspired by those coming, and testifying against 'men of power' in the the entertainment industry, and the flood gates opened.

Frank

Comment