Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    We're all a little evil, so it's okay to choose a lesser evil? No, i don't think so.
    That's about where I'm at on the whole voting thing at this point. If the ends don't justify the means, then I'm not voting for the lesser of two evils.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Fox News is the only poll having Jones ahead by 10 points. Fox, being an arm of the republican party, that's not hard to figure out. They want to make sure Moore supporters aren't complacent, that they don't take his victory for granted, and get out to vote.
      Actually - I think the Fox poll was the one that had Jones ahead by 10 points. Emerson had Jones up by 9:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ones-6271.html

On a more pleasant note (for me), Trump has apparently hit a new low in HIS approval ratings at an aggregate of -20.4:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Even Rasmussen, a notoriously right-leaning polling source, has him down by 16.

I have truly high hopes for 2018/2020!

BTW - my high hopes are for balance. After 2008, I was cheering on many Republican candidates because the government was too skewed to the left. If we "over correct" again and the government shifts to mostly left leadership, I will be again cheering on some Republican candidates.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Approval ratings, as with most polls these days, are basically meaningless.

Even the Huffington Post has grudgingly admitted that Trump is winning, although they hilariously try to spin it by claiming that Trump's pro-America agenda is somehow really anti-America.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          It's been notoriously difficult to figure what constitutes blasphemy on TWeb. Jesus didn't exist, God was a dragon, the Bible is a wheel, David was gay, none of those tripped the meter. Now, Jesus ...

Personally, I try to split the difference with blasphemy, a victimless crime against a being that shouldn't need human defenders, prosecutors, judges, or executioners in any case. I think of gods as more the "I've got this" type.

You'll never read about Zeus asking someone else to take care of Leda.

LGM was on my ignore list for years, until I spotted quotes of him tearing away at the other side with undiminished vim. He wasn't just ripping on Christians, he was going after pretentiousness. Remember who went after him. The accusation was a tad too convenient. Deb and I talked about it.
          The difference between those and LGM's over-the-line posts is the people who propounded those ideas seemed to genuinely believe them. LGM's inappropriate posts, OTOH, were filled with vitriolic mockery. He wasn't trying to defend, but destroy. Does that help?
          Alabama is voting today.
          ...and the world is watching.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Approval ratings, as with most polls these days, are basically meaningless.

Even the Huffington Post has grudgingly admitted that Trump is winning, although they hilariously try to spin it by claiming that Trump's pro-America agenda is somehow really anti-America.
            Folks might want to actually read the referenced article, rather than just Brietbart's take on it: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_contributor
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              The difference between those and LGM's over-the-line posts is the people who propounded those ideas seemed to genuinely believe them. LGM's inappropriate posts, OTOH, were filled with vitriolic mockery. He wasn't trying to defend, but destroy. Does that help?

...and the world is watching.

LGM is back? I remember him from years ago, and was under the impression he was permanently blocked...?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                LGM is back? I remember him from years ago, and was under the impression he was permanently blocked...?
                I thought he died. Who gave me that impression?
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Even Rasmussen, a notoriously right-leaning polling source
                  The most accurate of the major polls in 2016 IIRC.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The most accurate of the major polls in 2016 IIRC.
                    Pretty much all of the national polls were within the margin of error in 2016. I do not know which one was "most" within that margin. It could have been Rasmussen. The state polls were fewer and somewhat less precise.

Polling is in a state of flux right now, IMO. There are two many new variables that the pollers have not yet learned how to adjust for. The polls, for example, assume that people are going to answer honestly and correctly. But that assumption has been shown to be false when you compare the results of auto-polls with those that have a person conducting the poll.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      Oh...

Comment

Polling is in a state of flux right now, IMO. There are [too] many new variables that the pollers have not yet learned how to adjust for.
                        There's that, but you also have pollsters who deliberately skew things in favor of one agenda or another because they're trying to shape public opinion, not reflect it.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There's that, but you also have pollsters who deliberately skew things in favor of one agenda or another because they're trying to shape public opinion, not reflect it.
                          Are you refering to FOX who has Jones up by 10 percentage points.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                            LGM is not back. I have no idea if he's still kicking or not. We gave a blanket amnesty to just about everybody when we rebooted, but he hasn't returned.

The only atheists I recall offhand dying are win_ace, bandecoot, and formerfundy.
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 12-12-2017, 02:21 PM.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

First of all - thanks for correcting my "two"

Second - much as I would like to deny that such is occurring, the range of polling is suspicious, especially when left-leaning sources have polls that lean left and right-leaning sources have polls that tend to lean right. Rasmussen is a good case in point - being off the "aggregate" to the right almost all the time. Quinnipiac is off the aggregate to the left almost all the time.

But there is another dynamic at play: the polling methodology. There is a clear difference between robo-polls and people-polls. There is a clear difference between polls that include cell phones and polls that exclude them. These are comparatively new dynamics and the pollsters do not yet seem to know how to adjust for them.

That is one of the reasons I tend to prefer using aggregators like FiveThirtyEight and RealClearPolitics. Their aggregate numbers, historically, have been some of the most accurate numbers out there. It's odd to me; it would seem to me the aggregate of flawed polls would be a flawed aggregate - but that's the lovely world of statistics for ya!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                LGM is not back. I have no idea if he's still kicking or not. We gave a blanket amnesty to just about everybody when we rebooted, but he hasn't returned.

The only atheists I recall offhand dying are win_ace, bandecoot, and formerfundy.
                                Bandecoot and Formerfundy died?

Reminds me of a funeral I attended when I was in the seminary. I was standing at the back next to two priests and overhead a conversation between them.

"Did you know him well?" asked the first priest.
                                "Not really," said the second priest, "he was the friend of a parishioner."
                                "He was an atheist, you know." remarked the first priest.
                                "Not anymore," mumbled the second priest, under his breath.

I have to admit I had a great chuckle at that one...

Comment