Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Here we go...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An Alabama woman says Roy Moore, the Republican nominee for next month's U.S. Senate election, made inappropriate advances and had sexual contact with her when she was 14, according to a Washington Post story Thursday.

The Moore campaign called the report "the very definition of fake news and intentional defamation."

Senior Republicans swiftly called for Moore to step aside if the allegations are shown to be true.

"The allegations against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore are deeply troubling," said Colorado Sen. Chairman Cory Gardner, who leads the Senate GOP campaign arm. "If these allegations are found to be true, Roy Moore must drop out of the Alabama special Senate election."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell added, "If these allegations are true, he must step aside."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-mo...-politics.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Somebody pass me the salt...
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If there is any validity to the charges then McConnell is right.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If there is any validity to the charges then McConnell is right.
        yeah but this sounds like another fake accusation to ruin someone's rep before an election. 1979? really? and it just NOW comes out? Just before an election?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          yeah but this sounds like another fake accusation to ruin someone's rep before an election. 1979? really? and it just NOW comes out? Just before an election?
          The primary accuser says she was going to go public when he ran for the Supreme Court but decided not to because as she said everyone knew she was no angel and figured she would be destroyed as a result but now feels emboldened in the current post-Weinstein climate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yep... The timing is a bit suspicious, like when all of Trump's accusers suddenly came out of the wood work just before the election, and disappeared just as suddenly.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The primary accuser says she was going to go public when he ran for the Supreme Court but decided not to because as she said everyone knew she was no angel and figured she would be destroyed as a result but now feels emboldened in the current post-Weinstein climate.
              It will take me a while to unpack that.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The current climate of outing these people makes it easier for victims to come out. It’s happened several times recently when historic abuses have become known due to it now being ‘acceptible’/easier.

The hard bit is sifting the fact from the fiction, which was the main reason they didn’t say anything to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Here we go...
                  Editing fail:
                  Source: Report

The intensity of the reaction may partly reflect lingering bad feelings from the primary contest between Strange and Moore, held in late September, that pitted much of the Republican establishment — including President Donald Trump — behind Strange and the GOP's more conservative flank — including former Trump strategist Steve Bannon — behind Strange.

© Copyright Original Source

The problem with these allegations is that it seems entirely to be a 'he said, she said' situation. It is exceedingly unlikely that there is any evidence either way.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Editing fail:
                    Source: Report

The intensity of the reaction may partly reflect lingering bad feelings from the primary contest between Strange and Moore, held in late September, that pitted much of the Republican establishment — including President Donald Trump — behind Strange and the GOP's more conservative flank — including former Trump strategist Steve Bannon — behind Strange.

© Copyright Original Source

The problem with these allegations is that it seems entirely to be a 'he said, she said' situation. It is exceedingly unlikely that there is any evidence either way.
                    But, unfortunately, even if what "she said" is made up, it doesn't matter - the damage is done. (Which is why I (and most Pastors I know) have very strict rules about meeting with women for counseling)
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      But, unfortunately, even if what "she said" is made up, it doesn't matter - the damage is done. (Which is why I (and most Pastors I know) have very strict rules about meeting with women for counseling)
                      Indeed. When my priest hears confessions, he always has someone standing in the back reading Psalms aloud, so someone else is there (the Orthodox don't use confessionals).
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        ... sorry, it’s probably obvious, but why do you have strict rules for women councelling? In case they say something you feel you should act upon, but then later turns out to be false? What rules do you have, if you don’t mind me asking?

Comment

I buy she feels emboldened - but Moore has been in a number of public campaigns and this isn't the first such political environment. The timing is a LOT suspicious.

All four women put give a similar time frame - that is a whole lot suspicious. Sexual predators don't just stop - this sounds a lot like copy catting.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Indeed. When my priest hears confessions, he always has someone standing in the back reading Psalms aloud, so someone else is there (the Orthodox don't use confessionals).
                            Interesting. Occasionally, at the conclusion of a service, a woman will want to talk to me about something. I'll sit with her on the front pew, and several of my deacons know that's their cue to stay in the worship center and "straighten hymnals" or otherwise be busy 'doing something' - picking up lint, tinkering with the sound system, etc...

About two weeks ago, a woman stayed after our Wednesday evening service, and came into my office and shut the door, and started crying - (glass door, visible to and from the main hallway). Everybody else had left except one of my deacons, and he was easing his way toward the door. I tried to get his attention without being too obvious, but we waved "goodbye" and left. I told her we needed to talk in the morning, and I needed to go check the doors in the rest of the building. (I knew it was already locked, but I wanted out of there)

I wandered down the hall while she got her things together, and I waited til she left - and while I was down the hall, it suddenly occurred to me that I was "on camera" in both the hallways, so I just kinda loitered there for a minute.

This woman later complained I wouldn't talk to her, so I explained to her (on the phone) that I am extremely uncomfortable being alone in the building at night with a woman not my wife.

She actually complained to her husband, who called our deacon chairman, and said, "The pastor said he was extremely uncomfortable with my wife at night in the building alone". Our deacon chair was kinda stunned, and said, "well?"

They ended up getting mad and leaving the church. Sure, I could have handled it better, but it all kinda happened so fast, and she is a bit.... um... emotionally unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              ... sorry, it’s probably obvious, but why do you have strict rules for women councelling? In case they say something you feel you should act upon, but then later turns out to be false? What rules do you have, if you don’t mind me asking?
                              That would be a possibility, but it's more to preserve propriety and to keep a safe distance so that neither can take advantage of the other.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment