Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Looks like the original accuser's story is starting to fall apart, at least more than it already has:

Source: Breitbart

Regarding the original court hearing where Corfman says that Moore asker her for her number while Wells went inside the courtroom, the Post reported that it “confirmed that her mother attended a hearing at the courthouse in February 1979 through divorce records.”

A thorough search of court documents finds one court case in February 1979—a case that took place on February 21, 1979. The Post failed to tell readers that at that February 21, 1979, court case Wells voluntarily gave up custody of Corfman to Corfman’s father, Robert R. Corfman. The two had been divorced since 1974. The custody case was amicable and involved a joint petition by both parents.

The Post further did not tell readers that as a result of the joint petition to change custody, the court ordered the 14-year-old Corfman to move to her father’s house starting on March 4, 1979. Court documents show the father’s address in Ohatchee, and not in Gadsden, where her mother lived and where Corfman says the meetings with Moore took place.

This would mean that from the court hearing on February 21, 1979, until Corfman was ordered to move to her father’s house, Moore would only have had 12 days, including the day of the court hearing, to have repeatedly called Corfman at her mother’s Gadsden house, arrange two meetings, and attempt another. Moore has strenuously denied the accusations.

While that timeline is theoretically possible, the Moore campaign stressed in a press conference today it is unlikely.

Ben DuPre, Moore’s former chief of staff on the Alabama Supreme Court, spoke today on behalf of the campaign. DuPre noted that “as best as we can tell” the February 21, 1979, case was the only court movement to have taken place that month. Breitbart News also could not find another court document from that month in 1979.

The disclosure raises questions about why that twelve-day window was not mentioned in the Post story or by Wells or Corfman in subsequent interviews. Neither Corfman nor Wells publicly mentioned the change in custody during the critical period where Moore was said to have arranged meetings with Corfman outside her mother’s home.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ons-roy-moore/

© Copyright Original Source

Breitbart will continue spinning its usual spin but the fact is most people, including the majority of Roy Moore's own party, believe Corfman is making credible allegations. As well, "three of Alabama’s biggest papers featured an editorial telling the state’s residents to take a stand against Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore and vote against him".

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/20/al...nst-roy-moore/

And, regarding Trump’s belated support of Moore, he hardly has the moral high ground given the allegations against him.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Breitbart will continue spinning its usual spin but the fact is most people, including the majority of Roy Moore's own party, believe Corfman is making credible allegations. As well, "three of Alabama’s biggest papers featured an editorial telling the state’s residents to take a stand against Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore and vote against him".

And, regarding Trump’s belated support of Moore, he hardly has the moral high ground given the allegations against him.
      Yes, allegations automatically disqualify everybody all the time. Now you need JimL to run in her screaming "Send them all to jail! Every one of them!!!"

Where were you when Hillary had a TON of 'allegations' against her?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post

You call it "spin", but I notice you never refuted any of the facts presented.

Another point brought up by Breitbart: Corfman claims that she experienced a series of behavioral problems after her alleged encounter with Moore, but court documents show that the whole reason her mother was turning custody over to her father in the first place, which is to say the whole reason they were even at the courthouse that day, is because of behavioral problems, and that in the months after moving in with her father, court documents say that her behavior had "improved greatly", at which point Corfman was able to move back in with her mother.

That's not spin, that's just pointing out that the facts don't support the accuser.

Oh, and you say that "three of Alabama’s biggest papers featured an editorial telling the state’s residents to take a stand against Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore and vote against him", but did you know that those three newspapers are all owned by the same company?

The three newspapers, all under the Alabama Media Group umbrella, featured the headline at the top of their front pages in block lettering “STAND FOR DECENCY, REJECT ROY MOORE.”

ALPapers1119.jpg

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ge-editorials/

Basically, three versions of the same newspaper, so it's not exactly the widespread denouncement that you make it out to be. But you sure fell for it hook, line, and sinker, didn't you?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not only that, but he responds with a Daily Caller link - which I was told when I used it as a source it was "tabloid trash".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I am not well enough to do much other than to post a link at this time; however, there is an aspect of the Judge Roy Moore case that I have not seen referenced in this thread, and that is the reluctance of news media to present testimony favorable to Judge Roy Moore when such testimony is offered to said media.

As an example, consider the information presented here: https://theconservativetreehouse.com...moore-accuser/

Comment

• Originally posted by John Reece View Post
              I am not well enough to do much other than to post a link at this time; however, there is an aspect of the Judge Roy Moore case that I have not seen referenced in this thread, and that is the reluctance of news media to present testimony favorable to Judge Roy Moore when such testimony is offered to said media.

As an example, consider the information presented here: https://theconservativetreehouse.com...moore-accuser/
              Yep... as Breitbart reported earlier, a dozen character witnesses have come forward, including women that Moore had dated, and the only place I've seen it reported is... Breitbart.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-defend-moore/

Comment

I am not well enough to do much other than to post a link at this time; however, there is an aspect of the Judge Roy Moore case that I have not seen referenced in this thread, and that is the reluctance of news media to present testimony favorable to Judge Roy Moore when such testimony is offered to said media.

The media has been very eager to jump upon every scrap of salacious gossip and treat it as the irrefutable gospel truth while exhibiting a strong disinclination to report on anything that could be considered exculpating.

You'd almost think there was some sort of agenda in play here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Another point brought up by Breitbart: Corfman claims that she experienced a series of behavioral problems after her alleged encounter with Moore, but court documents show that the whole reason her mother was turning custody over to her father in the first place, which is to say the whole reason they were even at the courthouse that day, is because of behavioral problems, and that in the months after moving in with her father, court documents say that her behavior had "improved greatly", at which point Corfman was able to move back in with her mother.

That's not spin, that's just pointing out that the facts don't support the accuser.

Oh, and you say that "three of Alabama’s biggest papers featured an editorial telling the state’s residents to take a stand against Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore and vote against him", but did you know that those three newspapers are all owned by the same company?

The three newspapers, all under the Alabama Media Group umbrella, featured the headline at the top of their front pages in block lettering “STAND FOR DECENCY, REJECT ROY MOORE.”

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25002[/ATTACH]

Basically, three versions of the same newspaper, so it's not exactly the widespread denouncement that you make it out to be. But you sure fell for it hook, line, and sinker, didn't you?
                  And, not surprisingly, the three most liberal papers in the state - none of which even endorsed Moore to begin with as far as I know.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Feel better soon!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      That's fair, and the appreciation is certainly mutual. I'm sorry I brought it up really, but it is something that's been laying on my heart for a bit. I am sorry to hear that you don't find Protestantism orthodox or normative, but maybe that's something we can discuss at another time.
                      I didn't mean to say that I don't find Protestantism in general orthodox, but that I may find some uniquely Protestant views unorthodox. I don't want to make a blanket statement without knowing what exactly you have in mind. But, by all means, push back. No one should be taking my view as authoritative, or unable to be opposed, whether due to my staff position or otherwise.

Sorry I took so long to get back to this; I didn't have time until now to go into detail and I wanted to leave the thread unread until I got to it.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've been praying for you, John. I'm glad you feel up to posting anything at all!
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          But there's no naturalistic bar to Mary having other children after Jesus, or to Joseph having previously been married.
                          Of course not.
                          I'm still interested in knowing what consensus there might be on the references in Mark. Looking again, I see ..
                          Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon ... 6:3

Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salo'me ... 15:40

Mary the mother of Joses ... 15:47

Mary the mother of James, and Salo'me ... 16:1 (immediately following 15:47)

The last three are clearly the same Mary, as they're all in the company of Mary Magdalene and part of a continuing self-contained narrative. Taken together with the first reference, I'd find it hard to argue they're not all references to Mary, the mother of Jesus.
                          Given that something like 25% of Jewish women at the time were named Mary, they're all identified differently, and that if the author wanted to identify the mother of Jesus, the central character of the story, I'd think he'd simply have referred to her as just that.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Feel better soon!
                            Thanks!

Here is a carefully reasoned article by a top drawer attorney who is retired from a Washington, D.C. law practice. His name is Paul Mirengoff, who is one of the regular contributors at the Powerline blog:
                            Court documents raise questions about Corfman’s account

Here in the Washington D.C. area, polite society has reached judgment on the allegations against Roy Moore, and moved on. Mitch McConnell, a political enemy of Moore, rendered the verdict. “I believe the women,” he said. He didn’t tell us what facts he had reviewed or why he believed all of them.

Ivanka Trump, who has a brand to protect, concurred, declaring:

"There is a special place in hell for people who prey on children. I’ve yet to see a valid explanation, and I have no reason to doubt the victims’ accounts."

Doug Jones, Moore’s opponent in the Alabama Senate race, has converted this pronouncement into an effective political ad. The president’s daughter may help the Democrats pick up this seat.

Ms. Trump’s statement raises more questions than it answers, though. First: Is there a special place in hell for 30-somethings who date 17 year-olds? Without condoning the practice, I think most of us can agree there isn’t.

Second: Did Ivanka devote enough time and study to discerning “a valid explanation” or to finding evidence that would give her “reason to doubt the victims’ accounts? Her statement isn’t so much a rush to judgment as a rush to virtue signaling.

It turns out that there is substantial reason to doubt the account of Beverly Young Nelson. The evidence she presented — a yearbook allegedly inscribed by Moore — appears to have been doctored.

Leigh Corfman is the only other person to have accused Moore of anything beyond dating and/or wanting to hang out with girls in their late teens. She did not make her allegations of molestation for 38 years, until just before an election with national implications. She has had a rocky life and does not seem particularly stable.

Ivanka Trump feels this is “no reason” to doubt Corfman’s account. Maybe not. But now, there is documentary evidence that may provide such reason.

That evidence consists of court records. Recall that, in Corfman’s account, Moore first encountered her outside a courtroom in which her mother was to appear at a custody hearing. Her mother asked Moore to wait with her, and he allegedly used the opportunity to get her phone number. After that, Moore allegedly called her multiple times, arranged two meetings, and attempted to arrange a third.

The alleged phone calls all were made to the mother’s house (Leigh remembered taking them on a phone in her bedroom, but her mother says there was no phone in that room, which is almost surely correct). The alleged encounters all began with Moore picking her up in that neighborhood.

The Washington Post, which broke the story, says the court hearing occurred in February 1979. Aaron Klein of Breitbart News pinpoints the date — February 21 1979.

Here’s what the Post did not tell its readers. At the hearing, a judge ordered that Leigh Corfman move out of her mother’s house and take up residence with her father by March 4. In making this decision, the judge noted that Corfman had exhibited “certain disciplinary and behavioral problems.”

Did Roy Moore cram all of those alleged phone calls, encounters, and attempted encounters into the 12-day period before Leigh Corfman moved to her father’s house (assuming the court order was adhered to)? It’s possible. If Moore was obsessed with the girl, he probably would have moved fast.

Still, it would have been nice if the Post had presented the timeline to its readers. Then, Mitch McConnell, Ivanka Trump, and the rest of us could have evaluated the question of timing.

It would also have been good to know that Corfman had exhibited “disciplinary and behavioral problems” sufficient to swing a custody dispute before ever meeting Roy Moore. This information is relevant in at least two ways.

First, it may go to the reliability of Corfman’s account of what (if anything) happened between her and Moore. If Corfman was significantly troubled in February and March of 1979, can we trust her statement of what allegedly happened during this period. Or might she be inventing or embellishing?

Second, Corfman told the Post that her life spiraled downward after her alleged encounters with Moore. We now know that she had serious issues before then.

This doesn’t mean things didn’t get worse. Indeed, we would expect them to get worse if Moore behaved as Corfman says he did.

But there is evidence that things actually got better for her. According to Klein:

On May 5, 1980, which would have been after any alleged encounters with Moore, Wells [Corfman’s mother] filed a new petition to take back custody of her daughter. That petition stated that Corfman’s “disciplinary problem has improved greatly.”

(Emphasis added)

Based on this statement, the judge agreed that Corfman’s mother should be granted custody.

Does this prove Corfman is lying about Moore? No. But taken as a whole, Klein’s report makes me question her account. The points Breibart raises should be weighed before reaching a conclusion about what, if anything, happened between Corfman and Moore back in 1979.

Assuming Mitch McConnell, Ivanka Trump, or anyone else in Washington or in the mainstream media is still interested in the facts.

Source: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...ns-account.php
                            Last edited by John Reece; 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25002[/ATTACH]

let me guess same exact editorial?

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                let me guess same exact editorial?
                                Yep.

Comment