Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Hillary never got denounced en masse by Democrats, but for whatever reason Frankenstein did. (Leaving the results of my phone's autocorrect because it's too funny.)
    The democratic party is in a similar situation to the house of saud where the saudis encouraged islamic extremism and were then left with islamic extremists in their lap. encouraging sjws is now having the sjws target them (which they can do far more effectively because they live in the same cities).
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Frankenstein
      Anti-semitic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad!

Hillary never got denounced en masse by Democrats
      There is still hope, if she wants to keep running and they don't want her to!!! Then they might actually throw she, also Bill, under bus!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I find that difficult to believe. I mean, if Hillary didn't have too much baggage to be her party's standard bearer....
        She was part of a dynasty - Franken is just a comedian turned politician, and didn't have his own bimbo eruption squad.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          In light of the fact that by all accounts Moore sought the permission of the families before dating the young women and carried himself like a gentleman, it would seem the answer is yes.
          By “all what accounts”, Breitbart?

Are you seriously suggesting that a 30+ y.o. man, who was put on a watch-list in a mall for attempting to pick up teenage girls, went to the parents cap in hand to ask permission to date their 14 y.o. or 16 y.o. daughter? Just image the conversation: “And where exactly did you meet our little girl?”?

It's as simple as Franken was busted with irrefutable proof of his guilt while there is not a shed of credible evidence against Moore. Why should Moore apologize for something he never did? And why isn't Franken being forced to resign in disgrace for something he undeniably did?

I love liberal "consistency".
          Actually, I think Franken should resign and so should Moore if only in the interests of their parties. The latter has shown himself to be a self-centred man prone to judge others whilst exonerating himself. But hey, he’s against homosexuality and abortion and likes to place Ten Commandments on public property, so he can do whatever he likes, right? Like the self admitted sexual predator Donald Trump!
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Are you seriously suggesting that a 30+ y.o. man, who was put on a watch-list in a mall for attempting to pick up teenage girls
            fake news

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              Anti-semitic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad!
              Shut up.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                By “all what accounts”, Breitbart?

Are you seriously suggesting that a 30+ y.o. man, who was put on a watch-list in a mall for attempting to pick up teenage girls, went to the parents cap in hand to ask permission to date their 14 y.o. or 16 y.o. daughter? Just image the conversation: “And where exactly did you meet our little girl?”?

Actually, I think Franken should resign and so should Moore if only in the interests of their parties. The latter has shown himself to be a self-centred man prone to judge others whilst exonerating himself. But hey, he’s against homosexuality and abortion and likes to place Ten Commandments on public property, so he can do whatever he likes, right? Like the self admitted sexual predator Donald Trump!
                No evidence that Moore was ever put on a "watch list" at the local mall. That's "a friend of a friend knew a guy who said" style BS. It's ironic how you mock my preferred sources when you routinely fall for every bit of fake news that happens to pass under your nose. I guess that's what happens when your favorite sources come with crayons and a gumball.

It was the young women themselves and their families who said that Moore sought the permission of the mothers before he started dating them. Breitbart has reported these facts, naturally, but so have other publications. Of course it probably wasn't reported at the sorts of places frequented by a fake news connoisseur like yourself.

Glad to see you agree that Franken should resign, but how could you dispute it when there is a picture of the sleaze literally caught in the act? Still, it puts you ahead of some other liberals who look at that picture and inexplicably say, "We shouldn't jump to conclusions." As for Moore, the accusations are unsubstantiated at best and lack credibility.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Weren't children were expected to care for their parents in their old age?
                  They were, but who is going to provide for the family in the meantime when pop is dead, and the kids aren't old enough to take on that responsibility? I suppose children from a previous marriage could, assuming they were old enough. Perhaps this is why the warnings against remarrying in that era arose. Children from a previous marriage may not have been inclined to take full care of someone they did not feel a biological connection to.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It seems to me that your admission regarding the Protoevangelium rather vitiates the preceding claim. IIRC, Mary's perpetual virginity was vigorously defended at least as early as Jerome (and was widely held even by Protestants into the 19th century).
                  The Protoevangelium of James is clearly apocryphal, and Jerome, while agreeing with the Protoevangelium on Mary's perpetual virginity, believed that Jesus's "brothers" were actually his cousins rather than Joseph's children from a previous marriage. I'm not so concerned with what 19th century Protestants thought of the idea of Mary's perpetual virginity, I'm more concerned with the scriptural basis for it, and how that lines up with New Testament scholarship on the subject. According to Richard Bauckham in Jude and the Relatives of Jesus in the Early Church, most modern scholars hold the view that Mary was not a perpetual virgin, and that she bore Joseph's children after Jesus was born. This is the view that even Catholic scholar John P. Meier holds.

I get the feeling that it's the Orthodox view that Joseph was previously married with children, so you sort of feel you must tow the denominational line, is that correct? For the record, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but I don't think there's as much going for it as the idea that Joseph and Mary had other children.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Yeah.
                  Last edited by Adrift; 11-18-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    I wouldn't expect to see a difference because I don't believe anything would exist at all.
                    I wonder if you see the possibility that this God came from you. If not, why is that impossible? Did God make man or did man make God or the gods? Which is more likely? How would you make that assessment?
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      I wonder if you see the possibility that this God came from you. If not, why is that impossible? Did God make man or did man make God or the gods? Which is more likely? How would you make that assessment?
                      Well, I mean, unless I'm a time traveler he definitely didn't come from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        No evidence that Moore was ever put on a "watch list" at the local mall. That's "a friend of a friend knew a guy who said" style BS. It's ironic how you mock my preferred sources when you routinely fall for every bit of fake news that happens to pass under your nose. I guess that's what happens when your favorite sources come with crayons and a gumball.
                        “Mall officials told us they are not in possession of records that would identify who was banned in the late 1970s and 1980s. A Gadsden Mall spokeswoman told us: The report, however, is based on sources recalling a rumor, in some cases. Those rumors have been corroborated by news reports of accusations leveled at Moore by at least nine women who were in their teens and twenties at the time.”

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/ro...ng-teen-girls/

It was the young women themselves and their families who said that Moore sought the permission of the mothers before he started dating them. Breitbart has reported these facts, naturally, but so have other publications. Of course it probably wasn't reported at the sorts of places frequented by a fake news connoisseur like yourself.
                        Oh really! It seems highly improbable to me that parents would approve their young teenage daughters going on a date with a 30+ y.o. man.

Glad to see you agree that Franken should resign, but how could you dispute it when there is a picture of the sleaze literally caught in the act? Still, it puts you ahead of some other liberals who look at that picture and inexplicably say, "We shouldn't jump to conclusions."
                        The picture was intended as a joke...admittedly one in bad taste. Interesting that self-confessed sexual predator Trump implied the hypothetical existence of pictures 3, 4 and 5 with the hands moving elsewhere over the body etc. What a dirty mind that man has.

As for Moore, the accusations are unsubstantiated at best and lack credibility.
                        The Moore allegations do not lack credibility, any more than the 13 allegations against Trump do. Why wouldn’t you believe the victims?
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          Well, I mean, unless I'm a time traveler he definitely didn't come from me.
                          I am just considering possibilities. Do you know what a myth is? Do you know about mythical gods?

How do you know that your God is not your very own myth?
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            I am just considering possibilities. Do you know what a myth is? Do you know about mythical gods?

How do you know that your God is not your very own myth?
                            This derail needs to be taken elsewhere.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              This derail needs to be taken elsewhere.

The derails are the best part of this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                                “Mall officials told us they are not in possession of records that would identify who was banned in the late 1970s and 1980s. A Gadsden Mall spokeswoman told us: The report, however, is based on sources recalling a rumor, in some cases. Those rumors have been corroborated by news reports of accusations leveled at Moore by at least nine women who were in their teens and twenties at the time.”

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/ro...ng-teen-girls/

Oh really! It seems highly improbable to me that parents would approve their young teenage daughters going on a date with a 30+ y.o. man.

The picture was intended as a joke...admittedly one in bad taste. Interesting that self-confessed sexual predator Trump implied the hypothetical existence of pictures 3, 4 and 5 with the hands moving elsewhere over the body etc. What a dirty mind that man has.

The Moore allegations do not lack credibility, any more than the 13 allegations against Trump do. Why wouldn’t you believe the victims?
                                No records, reports based on rumors, women coming forward with claims that can't possibly be substantiated (how do we know they were really at the mall at the time in question? We don't!), citing Snopes as a source: it's like we're playing Fake News Bingo!

What's even funnier is that Snopes links to a Breitbart story where the mall's former manager flatly denies that Moore was ever banned, which Snopes tries to weakly downplay by saying that "a former mall worker ... believes she got Moore banned by complaining to her manager". Of course she's free to believe whatever she likes, but she's wrong, because the mall manager himself says that Moore was never banned.

So why don't I believe the supposed "victims"? Because their stories lack credibility. In the case of Trump's accusers, every one of their stories fell apart after the lightest scrutiny, and the same thing is happening with Moore's accusers. As the saying goes, every victim has a right to be believed, but that doesn't mean we should believe everybody who claims to be a victim.

Now if we had a picture of Moore literally caught in the act, like the "honorable" Al Frankenstein, then it would be a different matter.
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-19-2017, 09:09 AM.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment