Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Professor under fire for telling students they have to work hard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor under fire for telling students they have to work hard.

Professor draws ire for saying students will have to work hard and avoid drinking

UK’s Cambridge University physical sciences professor came under fire this week from mental health campaigners and students after he suggested undergraduates will have to work hard and abstain from drinking to pass the course.

Eugene Terentjev draw the fury of students and mental health activists after sending out an email last week to first-year natural sciences undergraduates at Cambridge, telling them the course will be difficult and thus they should refrain from drinking and other social activities if they wish to succeed, according to an email leaked to student-run publication Varsity.

“Physical sciences is a VERY hard subject, which will require ALL of your attention and your FULL brain capacity (and for a large fraction of you, even that will not be quite enough),” Terentjev wrote to the students.

“You can ONLY do well (ie achieve your potential, which rightly or wrongly several people here assumed you have) if you are completely focused, and learn to enjoy the course. People who just TAKE the course, but enjoy their social life, can easily survive in many subjects — but not in this one.”

He added: “Remember that you are NOT at any other uni, where students do drink a lot and do have what they regard as a ‘good time’ — and you are NOT on a course, as some Cambridge courses sadly are, where such a behaviour pattern is possible or acceptable.”

The professor’s comments caused an uproar among activists and students, who called his email “extremely damaging” and neither “appropriate nor acceptable”, with one other university vice-chancellor accusing Terentjev of “frightening impressionable undergraduates”, the London Times reported.

A mental health campaign at the university, Student Minds Cambridge, said the message sent by the professor “could be extremely damaging to the mental well-being of the students concerned, and potentially others as well,” the Times reported.

Anthony Seldon, vice-chancellor of Buckingham University, said the professor message scaremongers the students rather than helping them to learn to live a balanced lifestyle. “Frightening impressionable undergraduates into believing that work alone is all-important is irresponsible, unkind and wrong-headed,” he told the newspaper.

The university’s student union welfare officer, Micha Frazer-Carroll, also criticized the content of the email, claiming it criticized “the very premise of having a social life, or any sort of life, outside of study.”

“The university believes that all first-year students in all disciplines, having undergone the thorough admissions process that Cambridge requires, have the capacity to succeed academically,” a spokesperson for the University told the Times.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Professor draws ire for saying students will have to work hard and avoid drinking

UK’s Cambridge University physical sciences professor came under fire this week from mental health campaigners and students after he suggested undergraduates will have to work hard and abstain from drinking to pass the course.

Eugene Terentjev draw the fury of students and mental health activists after sending out an email last week to first-year natural sciences undergraduates at Cambridge, telling them the course will be difficult and thus they should refrain from drinking and other social activities if they wish to succeed, according to an email leaked to student-run publication Varsity.

“Physical sciences is a VERY hard subject, which will require ALL of your attention and your FULL brain capacity (and for a large fraction of you, even that will not be quite enough),” Terentjev wrote to the students.

“You can ONLY do well (ie achieve your potential, which rightly or wrongly several people here assumed you have) if you are completely focused, and learn to enjoy the course. People who just TAKE the course, but enjoy their social life, can easily survive in many subjects — but not in this one.”

He added: “Remember that you are NOT at any other uni, where students do drink a lot and do have what they regard as a ‘good time’ — and you are NOT on a course, as some Cambridge courses sadly are, where such a behaviour pattern is possible or acceptable.”

The professor’s comments caused an uproar among activists and students, who called his email “extremely damaging” and neither “appropriate nor acceptable”, with one other university vice-chancellor accusing Terentjev of “frightening impressionable undergraduates”, the London Times reported.

A mental health campaign at the university, Student Minds Cambridge, said the message sent by the professor “could be extremely damaging to the mental well-being of the students concerned, and potentially others as well,” the Times reported.

Anthony Seldon, vice-chancellor of Buckingham University, said the professor message scaremongers the students rather than helping them to learn to live a balanced lifestyle. “Frightening impressionable undergraduates into believing that work alone is all-important is irresponsible, unkind and wrong-headed,” he told the newspaper.

The university’s student union welfare officer, Micha Frazer-Carroll, also criticized the content of the email, claiming it criticized “the very premise of having a social life, or any sort of life, outside of study.”

“The university believes that all first-year students in all disciplines, having undergone the thorough admissions process that Cambridge requires, have the capacity to succeed academically,” a spokesperson for the University told the Times.

Comment

Everything I have ever been taught concerning education involved me putting aside my time to focus on tasks. How have we gotten so befuddled that that fact escapes folks.
      sigpic

Comment

the professor's comments are dumb (and the thread title is not really representative of what he actually said) and in the current climate they will trigger a gross overreaction that ends up making the experience bad for everyone involved.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          the professor's comments are dumb (and the thread title is not really representative of what he actually said) and in the current climate they will trigger a gross overreaction that ends up making the experience bad for everyone involved.
          sorry I didn't think I could fit "and avoid drinking" into the title

Comment

Natural science - survival of the fittest - let them at the booze. It will weed out the stupid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I know some professors pride themselves on how few students are able to pass their course, so his comments were a little over the top, but the reason why people are objecting - "He'll upset the fragile snowflakes!" - is what I think is stupid. We're on the path to creating a generation that will have great self-esteem but be as dumb as rocks and wholly unequipped to cope with real life.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Natural science - survival of the fittest - let them at the booze. It will weed out the stupid.
                Yep. If they want to waste thousands of dollars (or pounds in this case) per year to fail courses and get drunk, that is their right. But to whine when they are warned that if they do so they will fail is ridiculous.

Comment

sorry I didn't think I could fit "and avoid drinking" into the title
                  i think the part about having to work like a machine with no leisure time is more relevant, what caused the actual outrage, and is a dumb comment that will set his students up for burnout (and thus failure).
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

i think the part about having to work like a machine with no leisure time is more relevant, what caused the actual outrage, and is a dumb comment that will set his students up for burnout (and thus failure).
                    it wasn't like he was giving them orders, just advice. He was telling them that if they don't put serious effort into his course they will fail. They can take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Especially the ones whose last living words were "Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!"
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

it wasn't like he was giving them orders, just advice. He was telling them that if they don't put serious effort into his course they will fail. They can take it or leave it.
                        We were warned by my Intro to Astrophysics professor before the first class that the course would be hard, and if we weren't sure we could hack it we should drop the course so someone else could take it. Only about a third of the starting class size passed it; pretty much everyone else had dropped out.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          We were warned by my Intro to Astrophysics professor....
                          They didn't have an "Intro to Intro to Astrophysics" class?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I mean come on, we're talking Cambridge one of the most prestigious educational institutions in the world. You can't reasonably expect to be allowed to slack off. While one should balance study and social (not that I'm one to talk, I only study these days), if you want to make a good investment into your future you had darn well be willing to put your heart and soul into your courses. That's basically what this instructor is getting at.
                            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                              I mean come on, we're talking Cambridge one of the most prestigious educational institutions in the world. You can't reasonably expect to be allowed to slack off. While one should balance study and social (not that I'm one to talk, I only study these days), if you want to make a good investment into your future you had darn well be willing to put your heart and soul into your courses. That's basically what this instructor is getting at.
                              It looks like the objections are coming from people who think the professor is not allowing a balance, which apparently is an issue at Cambridge and potentially deadly.

Comment